I need to know why I need to make rings float?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tyrzi

Why it's so important to make rings float?
It doesn't make your gameplay any worst if rings are not floating.

Moderator Notice:
Topic title edited to be more clear

Last edited by a moderator:
Because it looks bizzare when they're just on the ground when they were ALWAYS floating in the games.

Not only do they look ugly, they also feel like they're more difficult to collect for me. Maybe this just happens in my brain, maybe it's because my depth perception gets screwed, I dunno.

More than an opinion, it's also simply a convention. We make rings float because they float in all of the professional Sonic games too, as D00D64 said. But it really does look ugly...compare floating rings to non-floating rings. The floating ones really do look better and more logical. And it's also extremely easy to ensure that they all float...just always check the Float flag.

Most of you guys sez that it looks ugly... righto.... uh.. ok, your opinion.

Another reason could be so it's easier to distinguish between the rings you drop when hit, and the rings that have yet to be collected.

There's also another (more far-fetched) situation in which you want to know whether rings are being affected by gravity or not, think about the rings that pursuit you when you have an Attraction Shield and then you lose that shield but don't get to collect the attracted rings. In that case, those rings bounce until they stop still on the floor and are affected by gravity, while floating ones are not.

Bear in mind that this is just my opinion, you may not have any reason to want to differentiate both kinds of rings, but as Fawfulfan said, it's best to (not always though) follow a convention because that way you're bound to make your maps appeal to a broader audience.

I need to know why...

...people don't finish their subject lines.

I need to know why...

...people don't finish their subject lines.

lol xD
I have wondered the same thing many times...

As other people have said, floating rings have been the standard in sonic games, and it's not tough to make them float. They're also a little easier to see. No reason not to make them float :P

I'm wondering if this also applies.

In a lot of games, there are floating power-ups to collect as you progress. Either it be health incrases/packs,swords, and ammo upgrades. They are always floating.

How would it look just hugging the ground? It doesn't look as pretty.

Think about it. Does it say anywhere that we have to make rings float? Does it? I say do whatever you want. If you really want your rings to be like that then do what you want, but I'm just saying that it is not required that we need to make them float.

Another reason could be so it's easier to distinguish between the rings you drop when hit, and the rings that have yet to be collected.

There's also another (more far-fetched) situation in which you want to know whether rings are being affected by gravity or not, think about the rings that pursuit you when you have an Attraction Shield and then you lose that shield but don't get to collect the attracted rings. In that case, those rings bounce until they stop still on the floor and are affected by gravity, while floating ones are not.

Bear in mind that this is just my opinion, you may not have any reason to want to differentiate both kinds of rings, but as Fawfulfan said, it's best to (not always though) follow a convention because that way you're bound to make your maps appeal to a broader audience.

Think about it. Does it say anywhere that we have to make rings float? Does it? I say do whatever you want. If you really want your rings to be like that then do what you want, but I'm just saying that it is not required that we need to make them float.

Metal Fighter, look at the first quote.

The rings are easier to collect when they're floating. You can run into them, or short-hop into them, whereas the latter is not possible when the ring is half-buried in the ground. The base concept of Sonic Hedgehog is the ability to play without breaking momentum, creating a sense of speed; this is why all of Sonic's attacks can be done in stride without slowing yourself down, and floating rings gives you more freedom to do this without sacrificing collection.

The rings are easier to collect when they're floating. You can run into them, or short-hop into them, whereas the latter is not possible when the ring is half-buried in the ground. The base concept of Sonic Hedgehog is the ability to play without breaking momentum, creating a sense of speed; this is why all of Sonic's attacks can be done in stride without slowing yourself down, and floating rings gives you more freedom to do this without sacrificing collection.

That's kinda stupid reason. Many people isn't really jumping while collecting rings if rings are not over 32 Z position.

It's not stupid at all. Prime 2.0 has a very good point. It's very common for people playing as Sonic to thok down hallways, and floating Rings are easier for thokking players to grab on the first try. Plus, as we have all said many times, non-floating Rings are ugly, don't look like classic Sonic, and just defy a convention that all skilled level designers follow.

Besides, making rings float is not hard or time-consuming. Just check the Ambush flag for all the Rings. You don't even need to select them all individually...just go to "Find" in SRB2DB, do a search for "Thing Type 300", and all the rings in your map will instantly be selected.

Last edited:
Because Sonic would trip over them going over 160 MPH. And that's NO-GOOD!

Beside the joke there, I agree with Prime 2.0! I think rings so you are looking up and not down. And it is easier for the player!

By the way, I'm the only one who doesn't understand Tyri's reason to Prime 2.0 ?

Last edited:
He's trying to say that most people won't be jumping over the rings, so their position won't make them much harder to collect. But I disagree with him for the reasons I stated above.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back