League of Legends

Status
Not open for further replies.
Current free heroes (This is week 18, free heroes are rotated every week!)
Anivia Mage
Ashe Ranged DPS
DrMundo Melee DPS
FiddleSticks Mage
Heimerdinger Support
Kayle Tank
MasterYi Melee DPS
Singed Tank
Tristana Ranged DPS
Udyr Melee DPS
What the hell is League of Legends?

For those familar with DOTA, read this: http://www.leagueoflegends.com/articles/dota_and_lol

For those not familiar with DOTA, the gameplay of League of Legends can best be described as a session-based action RPG. At the beginning of every game your champion starts at level 1 with a small amount of gold, and over the course of the game you complete objectives, gain bounty, and kill enemy players on the other team. The goal is to destroy your opponents base. At the end of each game, players will gain experience to level up their Summoners and influence points to use as currency to purchase champions and runes. The magic of the game resides in wisely combining the many Champions available and their unique abilities with many items for sale on the battlefield in order to gain the advantage against your opponents. Of course being the best isn't necessarily enough, even professional players will need to coordinate with their team to control the map and strategize effectively to emerge victorious.

Why should I play League of Legends if I can just play DotA?

* Automated matchmaking, to make finding a good game easy
* The ability to reconnect to games if you have disconnected
* Client-server network model with no host advantage
* Advanced stat tracking
* Built-in surrender functionality
* In-game interface and controls designed for this style of play
* Account-level progression, adding out-of-game strategic depth and customization, known as the summoner system
* Regular updates with many more features to come!
* An improved mini-map that shows your Champions pathing
* Multiple maps, (Summoner's Rift, Summoner's Rift: Winter, Twisted Treeline, The Proving Grounds)
* Features that make teaching the game to your friends easier, (game tutorial, bots, suggested items)
* Extremely fun.
* League of Legends has a great community! (compared to other DotA variants)
*Oh yes! It's FREE!
Game Mechanics:

Summoner Spells
Summoners are allowed the use of two Summoner spells during any fight in the Fields of Justice. These spells have a direct impact on the action in the battle arena. Summoners, for example, can heal their champion, damage opposing minions directly, teleport their champion anywhere in the Field of Justice they are in, fortify their team's turret defenses, and a slew of other game-impacting results. Summoner spells don't drain a champion's mana on use, but rather are usable again only after a short period of cooling down. As a Summoner gains experience and increases their power by fighting in multiple battle arenas, new Summoner spells will become available for use.

Masteries
A summoner can focus on three categories. - offense, defense, and utility - which are known as masteries. Some of the more advanced masteries require not only a working knowledge of previous masteries within a single category, but also the knowledge of a specific mastery. As a summoner gains levels of power within the League, they are able to select which specific areas of interest to focus on. Summoner masteries are not set in stone; depending on which champion you want to play, masteries may be changed to better suit your needs.

Runes
Before a match begins, a Summoner can make use of Runes to augment their champion's fighting abilities. There are four kinds of Runes a Summoner can use: glyphs (magical ability Runes), marks (offensive Runes), seals (defensive Runes), quintessence (powerful all-purpose Runes). Before a match begins, a Summoner can choose from three different rune configurations they have previously set in their Runebook. This allows the Summoner maximum flexibility in choosing a Runebook configuration best suited for whatever champion they might use.
How many champions are there in League of Legends? Do they have specific roles?

There are currently 48 champions, and yes, each one has a role to play. There are five very common roles (some of the images are missing and some of their roles have changed but this is still generally correct):

Tanks : They have lots of health, initiate team fights, and generally live a very long time. Not as many kills as Fighters or Mages, but you will win games. Some of them are really good at tower pushing, like Alistar.

Fighters : These champions dish out constant DPS. While they do more damage than tanks, they have considerably less HP. Choose your fights carefully as a fighter; if you play your early game carefully you are generally unstoppable late game. These guys are also great at tower pushing!

Mages : The Glass Cannons of LoL. They deal tons of damage, and do so extremely quickly (burst damage); this comes with a price, however. Mages have extremely low health totals, they are very fragile and you need to be careful when you play one. Most of them have some form of AoE/stun spells. Lots of kills with these guys, provided you know what you are doing. Annie, for example, has a passive stun, one AoE, a shield, and two nukes.

Assassins : Also incredibly fragile, these champions excel at one on one combat. Some of them are plain awful in team fights, but if one sneaks up on you, you're probably dead. One example is Shaco; he can teleport and stealth at the same time, and does lots of extra damage if he hits you in the back. Most of the assassin types can either stealth or have an awesome stun like Ashe's Crystal Arrow. Use these heroes to gank, gank, gank. If you're farming minions as an assassin, you're playing your champ wrong.

Support : These are the champions that keep other champions alive. Soraka can heal and replenish the mana of her allies. Zilean can reverse time and bring an ally back from the dead, his passive gives the whole team extra experience, etc. These champs don't get tons of kills (sometimes they get none at all) but they are extremely useful and can win games.

F.A.Q

Is it difficult to unlock champions?

It depends. To begin with, Riot chooses several heroes that will be unlocked for anyone to use every week. They could be low tier champions or the high tier champions, expensive or inexpensive; they are all free to play at some point. If you want to purchase a champion to use permanently, you can do so using in-game points, a.k.a Influence Points. You earn I.P by winning, or even losing, games. Whether it's just practice or an actual game, you will earn points no matter the outcome. You make I.P if you lose a practice game. The cheapest heroes are 450 I.P, and first win of the day in a normal game nets you around 300 points. Easy. However, some champs are closer to 6k points. Why? The harder a champ is to play, the more they cost. For example, Ezreal is a 100% skill shot champion, which means he has to aim every shot. A new player would have no chance at doing this effectively, so he's priced higher to keep new players from feeding with him, etc.

If you're lazy, you can also buy Riot Points to unlock champions. You can also use RP to buy skins.

My friend and I want to play in the same game. Can we?

Of course! But you need to ask yourselves a few questions first, before you dive head first into a pre-made team. Are either of you new to the game? If so, it might be wise to host friendly games in practice mode, not arranged mode. Arranged mode pits you against much tougher opponents. Your best bet is to stick to practice mode whenever you want to play with a friend, unless you are all experienced LoL players.

I hate the design of LoL, it's annoying/cartoony/childish and I would much rather play DotA because of it.

So what? The magic of LoL is found in the game play, not the graphics. I personally love the design choices that Riot made. It looks really nice in-game.
I encourage you to just try out LoL and see the game for yourself before you say stuff like this.

i'm a DotA pr0 i own pub scrubs why should i play such a n00b game

There is the Arranged Team/professional mode. You can get on vent with all your buddies and own n00bs all you want. They have clans and all that jazz for extremely good players.

http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board...splay.php?f=23

I'm new; what the hell is this, where do I go, how do I play?

1) Start off with the tutorial mode. Learn the basic controls, game play mechanics, etc.
2) Once you have a good handle on that, start a practice game and add bots. Bots give you a chance to explore the map, and try out champions without having to worry about playing well. Bots are a great training tool for new players.
3) If you have a handle on bots, try a practice game with people. Bots don't represent any real playing skill, so find a "noob game" in the practice lobby and try your luck against real people.
4) Look up character guides on the official forum and on LeagueCraft.
5) Join a solo queue and have fun!
smile.gif

How do I sign up?

Well, I'm going to put my own plug in here. You can sign up for free at the main website, but I would really appreciate it if you could sign up through my link. It doesn't make your sign-up any harder and it helps me out, so I would really appreciate it.

https://signup.leagueoflegends.com?ref=4b63c93a2865b to help rilez out, the maker of the original topic on Facepunch!

or

https://signup.leagueoflegends.com/signup/verify to not

Important links:

http://www.leagueoflegends.com/
http://leagueoflegends.wikia.com/wik...f_Legends_Wiki (for any questions you may still have)
http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board/
http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board...splay.php?f=16 (for help with particular heroes)
http://www.leaguecraft.com/ (helps with builds and such has a pretty big database of stuff)
http://www.mobafire.com/ (Good site for guide, however it's new so not a lot for some champions)

Here's a teaser video, if you want to see the game in motion: http://youtube.com/watch?v=BEbPi89HZ0I

Last edited:
Updated based on the Facepunch thread of this game. Had to remove a lot of the images, so bear with me.

2 new champions have came out since the first post, and one has been announced... as an April Fool's Joke.

The first is Ezreal. He's a skillshot based Tank/Mage. He's useless with only his normal attacks. His learning curve is huge as hell but once you get it, he dominates his lane. Low health makes him an easy kill. however. Don't let people say he sucks; He will kill you faster than Annie, which says something.
EzrealSquare.png

The second is Shen. He is a fighter/ninja guy. He relies on the bushes, or his skills to teleport everywhere. His ultimate teleports him anywhere near an enemy to attack him, much like Twisted's Fates portal skill. Best thing about him? He has a buff named Ninja. The description? "This unit is a flippin ninja."
ShenSquare.png

The next one.. was an early April Fool's joke. It's a manatee, Urf.
120px-Urf.jpg

Here are some of his skills if he was in the game:
Straight Floatin'(Innate) Urf has a chance to instantly gain the gold value of a minion upon striking them
Flippy Floppy(Active) Urf switches weapons between fish and spatula to accommodate the needs of his team.
Flop Strike(Active) Urf flops onto an enemy with massive destructive force. Urf must be directly next to an enemy to successfully execute this skill.
Big Blue Watery Road (Passive): Urf moves more quickly in areas with water, increasing his movement speed by 25%
Omnisplash (Active ultimate): Urf calls upon the elements to bring forth a destructive deluge of water. All nearby enemies take water damage and are slowed.

Nice one, Riot. You had me thinking he was a champion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back