Waterfall sides aren't disappearing into the water

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I understood that correctly, you want some sides of the water block(s) to be visible and others not. Using the Transfer Line flag you can probably apply the invisible-to-be linedefs a new "empty texture" (completely cyan), which you'd have to manually add.

Surely this seems far-fetched, but personally I can't think of another way. This begs for a suggestion, though: any adjacent water blocks should provide an option for disabling the "frontier linedef".

Wouldn't it just be easier to have the waterfall "block" floor be where it touches the swimmable area?

Excuse me for asking, but how so exactly (not sure if I understood what you meant)?

I could be wrong, but say you have a water sector tagged to 1, then where you want the waterfall the sector is tagged 2. All you would need to do is copy the water dummy sector, tag it to 2, then make the waterfall dummy sector tagged to 2 and simply make the fof floor touch the tip of the water so it connects.

I've never had this problem. Any chance you could upload the WAD so we can see exactly what you're doing?

Fawfulfan, as someone told me, the effect can be viewed in DSZ2, on the large waterslide. If you look closely when you go upstream you can see the sides of the Water FOFs (which are touching each others).

What's strange it was a non-problem to put two water sectors together. Now it requires me to do something else. I've poked around in DSZ1's level area, and you can see that the waterfalls in the semi-circular area do not have this problem. It should be noted that I haven't messed with the water textures either.

edit:just tested it with a new map. The effect doesn't seem to carry over, so it's something bugged on my part.

Last edited:
Right. This just proves how idiotic I am now...

Anyway, Water blocks do hide their walls when connecting with others with the same floor height. Hence the waterfalls in DSZ1 work just fine and only show their texture above the water's edge (as they should). On the other hand, those water blocks in the big waterslide have different floor heights, thus the wall textures can be seen.

Thanks to this late insight, I finally got what Zap610 was saying (sad isn't it).

I'm totally late to the party.

First thing first, check to see that you have stitch vertices enabled. I know you've been mapping for years; do it anyway. Next run the "check for errors" dialog box, specifically for unclosed sectors. Unclosed sectors are hell on wheels for making your map look bad and always come up when you don't expect them.

Now, do me a favor and zoom in reeeeaaaaallllly reeeaaallllly close and examine that there linedef. Are you sure there's not a really small sector that's between the water sector and the wall? Check anyway.

If you're seriously out of ideas, I'd be happy to try my hand at fixing it. No guarantees, but I'll give it everything I've got. Which might not be much, incidentally.

I'm not sure if you want to follow my example, but I learned about why unclosed sectors happen by looking through the epically old threads in Editing. Listening to WadAuthor users talk about life before stitch vertices is very informative. Remember, though, don't bump.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back