SRB2 Message Board  

Go Back   SRB2 Message Board > Sonic Robo Blast 2 > SRB2 Discussion > Bug Reports

Old 01-09-2018   #1
Rapidgame7
Rookie modder

Default [Lua] Crash with MF_SCENERY objects with no height/radius

Lately I've been experiencing a crash (my game hangs), albeit a weird one.
From the few times I've tested, it seems related to an object with the MF_SCENERY flag and calculating the sine/cosine of the player angle, and maybe even the sine of the player.aiming variable.

The game does not write a .RPT file for whatever reason.

I have attached the wad that recreates my crash. It will spawn an object every frame on the player's position.
Load it, go to GFZ1 and start running across the first bridge, maybe even jump a few times over the water, over the bridge, just run wildly all around the water and the bridge. It will eventually crash.
It doesn't take long for it to happen. For me, it took at least 2 seconds and at most 45 for it to happen.
Attached Files
File Type: zip crashagain.zip (703 Bytes, 116 views)

Last edited by Rapidgame7; 01-09-2018 at 10:43 PM. Reason: Edited title woo
Rapidgame7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018   #2
SMSGARDIAN
EcoloTheHeroOfSega
Extended Ban (Strike 3)

Did you update to the new SRB2 2.1.2 yet? if that isn't the case, check your Errorlog.txt.

Last edited by SMSGARDIAN; 01-09-2018 at 03:38 AM. Reason: Dot. I forgot the dot.
SMSGARDIAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018   #3
Rapidgame7
Rookie modder

What are you talking about?
I have 2.1.20 already, and errorlog.txt no longer appears in the game directory since then.
Old 01-09-2018   #4
Lach
hop

Just so you know, your mobjinfo table is missing the MF_SCENERY flag. I ran around GFZ for a good 10 minutes without crashing and then looked inside the wad and realized that was why.

The only insight I can give for the crash itself is that I know objects with MF_SCENERY freeze the game when forced inside walls if they have no height or radius. I gave your object a height and a radius and it worked fine once again.

EDIT: Just thought about it a little more and the wall issue might include FOFs, which in turn might mean the bug in question is objects with MF_SCENERY and no height or radius not knowing what to do when submerged in water.

Last edited by Lach; 01-09-2018 at 01:02 PM.
Lach is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018   #5
Rapidgame7
Rookie modder

That's odd, I swear I did add the MF_SCENERY flag.
Oh well, apparently it was an error from my side, I had forgotten to add a radius and height to the object.

Shouldn't that also be something that should be reported too, by the way? It should be necessary to add a radius and a height to objects. Something like throwing an error if you don't, unless objects are allowed to exist with none of these?

Thanks for the help.
Old 01-09-2018   #6
Steel Titanium

Although it was an error on his end, the game should at least report to him the object has no height or radius instead of crashing.
Steel Titanium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018   #7
Rapidgame7
Rookie modder

I went ahead and updated the title to reflect the new issue.