Animated textures

Status
Not open for further replies.

LavaWave

Flame On!
I am using Windows Vista x64 bit and I use Slumped as my wad editor, how is it possible to make textures animate? like a liquid or something? this goes for floors/ceiling and walls too and perhaps even skyboxes too. (like a lightning or thunderbolt)

I downloaded the program from the srb2 wiki but I got an error that I have to be running it with a 32-bit version of my OS, running in admin doesn't work either, so does that mean I can not make animated textures unless I get a 32-bit machine?

Also some small question, whoever made the list of animated textures DAT file where did he/she got them compiled from? are they in srb2.srb file or where?

Well, what you might want to try is to copy the animated lump from srb2.srb (you might need to copy and rename it to srb2copy.wad or something) into your wad and edit it http://slade.mancubus.net/.

It is a beta, so I am unsure if it works with our animated lumps or not, but you can try it.

Oh OK thanks, all I have to do is to copy/paste a random animated texture and edit it with SLADE?

I'l try that also do I still need the list of textures DAT file? I believe the one Jason compiled is an old version, where is the full DAT file in srb2.srb file with all textures in it? what is it called so I could find it?

That program LavaWave mentioned on the first post doesn't work for me either, is there a newer versio avaliable?

also how does SLADE make animated textures? I thought SLADE is a Doom map editor incompatable with SRB2 and/or no longer supported.

SLADE is able to edit the ANIMATED textures lump, which tells the game what type of textures what to animate. SLADE doesn't have a TEXTUREx editor yet, so you have to use SLumpED for that.

The dat file is only needed for SWANTBLS to generate the animated lump. Since you are editing the ANIMATED lump directly with SLADE, you don't need to have the dat file.

I don't quite know if this thing will work or not for SRB2, but it is worth a shot.

Last edited:
Oh OK, i'l give that a shot.

I've been searching troughout srb2.srb (copied to .wad format ofcourse) and haven't found a lump called ANIMATED is it stored on another file? I've been looking for hours in srb2 file and to no avail, I see TEXTURE1 and PNAMES however.

Last edited:
There is no ANIMATED lump in the game's IWAD. Animated textures are directly defined in the source code.

OK Thanks :)

Update: SLADE was too complex to use and couldn't figure out anything but I found another version of SWANTBLS.exe from http://zdoom.org/Download and it didn't give me an error on use, I did it with a run command trough ".../SWANTBLS.exe" SRB2.DAT and it generated the ANIMATED.lmp, I haven't tested the new textures yet tough but I don't know if the SWANTBLS is different then the one you provided, either way this one generated the file as normal.

btw is it required to have all the animated textures in the .dat file to work? and if there's a new update in SRB2 that could have new animated textures where could I find the new animated textures to put on SRB2.dat?

Last edited:
I think it is required to have all the textures in the animated.dat files to have all the ones in used in srb2 (like the waterfalls and whatnot) to work.

You can find it in the code provided with srb2. You would extract srb2src and then search for a known animated texture (like LFALL1) in p_spec.c. You don't have to worry about this though. I will update the dat file to the SRB2 wiki when the time comes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back