Tortured Planet v9 (scmrtf_TorturedPlanet-v9.wad)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe...but the fact remains that I just don't like Coop, and I am reluctant to be a party to its proliferation. I'd much rather encourage Match mode by having some of those type of levels in my pack.

EDIT:

You know what? I'm going to give it Coop support in V1.0 after all...but it'll have the problems I've already outlined. I may create a solution in later versions.

Last edited:
All you have to do is bring up co-op multiplayer, select one of the SRB1 remake stages, and type in 'map map01 -force' into the console. Simple workaround.

Last edited:
Well, you won't have to do that in the next version, because the levels will henceforth have Coop support. In later versions, I may create workarounds for the problems incurred in Coop, but for now, good luck dealing with them.

Ugh, I finally got the chance to play this. I only got up to the level after the snow level (I can't remember names, even though I played it a few minutes ago), but I saw enough to say that I am impressed.

Pros:
-Solid levels that don't really allow you to get lost. The paths are always very clear and the amount of openness gives plenty of replay value.

-Great detail. The levels feel very alive and structured, with interesting shots chosen as backgrounds.

-Great platforming gameplay. The jumps aren't cheapened by bad use of blue springs or ridiculous distances.

-Awesome length suitable for a level pack.

I can't really think of any cons right now. I'll update this post when I finish the pack, but for now, I like what I've played.

this mod is awsome! in it has a real fast progress. do you think you can add new enemies that are made from space metal from the other planet and bosses as well? also the thing that bugs me the most is well... the fact that the zones that reminds other zones from SRB2 remind them even more cuz the musics are the same like in the second zone. why not add new music to some zones on v1? C:

Here's a progress update: I've just completed Spacewalk Zone! Which means that the only level left to make is Alien Armageddon Zone, and then I'll patch up the details and release v1!

Thats wonderful news since there is a lot of people playing this in coop even if its not yet coop compatibility. I sure hope in future version (after v1.0) theres gonna be alternate paths. This is 1 of my favorite or even my favorite sp pack levels. Keep up the good work

This is a pretty good wad, Fawfulfan. I don't think I've ever seen anybody use transparency as good as you do, and the 2D section of SGZ2 is actually a lot of fun. Can't wait to see the whole shebang.

Will we see the aliens?

I'm afraid I don't have any plans, at least as of yet, to actually add in the aliens themselves. I'm toying with the idea of making it so that the robots throughout the entire game have the aliens in them, instead of the regular animals, but I'm not that great a spriter, so that may never happen.

So, I was bored and gave this a shot. Overall I found it quite enjoyable, but there were a few nasty spots that really need ironing out. These are just things I remember:

There is an extremely cheap death in DDZ1, at the end of the first waterslide, if you try to jump to the left at the end, you hit an invisible wall and die outright. Extremely lame. The first spot with spikeballs is practically impossible to dodge the first time as well.

SNZ in general is long and really kinda tedious after a while. It wasn't hard, either - just long as hell. Put some spice in there somewhere. SNZ also has massive consistency issues. In some places the oil is instant kill and in others it's perfectly fine to stand in. That's extremely cheap and should be fixed.

The raising quicksand areas in GCZ are tedious and cheap. The first time you're basically guaranteed to end up in the quicksand, and since it's not instant death you'll sit there for 20 seconds trying to get out onto the ground before dying eventually. The insta-kill slime used later is better than this. GCZ3 is complete BS. The quicksand is quirky and you have to rely on just mashing jump to get out, hoping the step-up code triggers. Also, heaven help you if you try to actually get out onto the middle platform.

Not to be a broken record, but that framerate in Fume Shaft 2 is terrible. I lowered my resolution to 640x400 to try to get rid of the SIGSEGVs and it STILL killed my framerate. It also feels like you basically NEED the Whirlwind Shield to get through this level. Might I suggest a little more leeway in your level design?

The 2D sections in LGZ are really cheap with those stupid enemies everywhere that are impossible to see coming.

Overall, though, the entire pack was quite playable (crashes aside) and just needs a lot less of using the same gimmick over and over in the stage. As guilty as I am with copy-paste in Mystic Realm, this does it a LOT more than me. Seeing the same trick 5 times in a stage gets old.

I've never once gotten a SIGSEGV in Fume Shaft Zone Act 2...but I agree the framerate is terrible. And, I admit, that gimmick is pretty cheap, especially after having used similar gimmicks in GCZ.

I plan to address most of these problems eventually...and I've already fixed a few of them. I've toned down the sinking power of the quicksand in GCZ3, deleted a few pipes and things in FSZ to try to improve framerate (though it still needs more revision), fixed the cheap death in DDZ1, and made the enemies in the LGZ2 2D sections much easier to dodge. You'll see these things, and more, in V1.0.

Last edited:
I was running at 1920x1200, which might have something to do with it. It didn't SIGSEGV again after I switched back down to 640x400.

1920x1200!? I don't even HAVE that resolution option in my copy of the game. Does that just mean that SRB2 detects the capacity of your screen and only gives you resolution options it knows will fit or something?

I think it has more to do with your video card, but yes, SRB2 tries to auto-detect what video modes your computer supports, and is actually pretty good at it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back