[Open Assets] mt_squareshowdown - Small Square Match Map inspired by Meadow Match Zone

This content may be freely modified and/or maintained by anyone.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Josh

joshman196 in-game
(Changelog is under the screenshots below)

Hello and welcome to the post of my match/tag level! I got the idea of making this after playing Meadow Match Zone a lot. Yeah, that means Meadow Match is my inspiration! The map is meant to be small, simple, and very fast paced.

Thanks to TailzCreatedSpeed for fixing the water colormap and testing the map for me!

And thanks to SpiritCrusher for finding a lot of issues in 1.0 that are now fixed in 1.1 (3-7 in 1.1 changelog).

The MAPNUM is 35 so it doesn't replace any maps in the base game. I've also adjusted the map to be included into the match/tag rotation (Meadow Match -> Square Showdown -> Jade Valley and so on).

Screenshots

cehuWb4.png

YcbhT0l.png

UquEkuR.png

Changelog

1.0 6-28-12
------------------------------
Initial Release.

1.1 6-29-12
1. Tag/Hide and Seek Support (It will show up in the Tag/Hide and Seek level select).
2. Added to Match/Tag Rotation (Meadow Match -> Square Showdown -> Jade Valley -> and so on).
3. Emerald Spawns
4. More ammunition rings for Auto, Scatter, and Bounce.
5. More Player Spawns (Not the suggested 32, but it's above 20)
6. More NORMAL Super Ring (10 Ring) Monitors
7. Less Random Weak Monitors (I think there's only 2 now, 1.0 had 4)

1.1.1 6-29-12
1. Now there are 32 match starts.
2. Added ZIP Mirror.

1.2 7-2-12
1. Adjusted Emerald Spawns
2. Removed Platforming to get to Bomb Ring
3. Added red spring to get to Bomb Ring
4. Changed texture of Bomb Ring platform to fit in with the rest of the map

1.2.1 12-25-13
1. Changed Bomb Ring Platform textures to have grassy floor and grass on sides
2. Added a corner platform that serves another random (weak) item monitor and an emerald spawn

Official Mirrors (Hosted on Google Drive; No sign-in required; You only need to download one of these)

1. Raw WAD file; 51.7KB
2. WAD compressed into a .RAR file for extracting; 15.5KB
3. WAD compressed into a .ZIP file for extracting; 17.3KB

Attachments

• mt_squareshowdown.zip
    17.3 KB · Views: 766
Last edited:
This is your first map, welcome around the designers' passion, then.
To tell you some things about Meadow Match, that you were inspired from... it's one of the most liked match level, because it allows a continuous speed, by keeping fighting skills. (Not the best level for Tails and Knuckles, however)
If it looks like to something pretty simple to build, it contains an organization that makes the field heterogeneous. It's actually, not a simple big square.
Of course, about your level, I'll be the 7th positive review. I would say that there are some Meadow Match winks here and there, but there is that big column, with a different texture, which doesn't fit at all, since it slows down the player which must aim with its jump, the yellow spring. That part of the level was a little rushed, if you want my opinion.
Otherwise, some weapons are well-placed, I think placing the rail one in a difficult area should improve the other weapons's use and make the game less "hunter".

I feel the bare minimum in creativity was used for this map.

There's practically no detail, aside from some decoration things thrown around, and no interesting gimmicks.

In fact, the most notable sections are a tie between the pools of water and the flower sections.

It gets the job done, but is not pleasing on the eyes.

This is your first map, welcome around the designers' passion, then.
To tell you some things about Meadow Match, that you were inspired from... it's one of the most liked match level, because it allows a continuous speed, by keeping fighting skills. (Not the best level for Tails and Knuckles, however)
If it looks like to something pretty simple to build, it contains an organization that makes the field heterogeneous. It's actually, not a simple big square.
Of course, about your level, I'll be the 7th positive review. I would say that there are some Meadow Match winks here and there, but there is that big column, with a different texture, which doesn't fit at all, since it slows down the player which must aim with its jump, the yellow spring. That part of the level was a little rushed, if you want my opinion.
Otherwise, some weapons are well-placed, I think placing the rail one in a difficult area should improve the other weapons's use and make the game less "hunter".

I originally planned that area as a "hotspot" for players to go to since the bomb ring is up there. I honestly don't know why I kept the different texture, maybe it was because I needed something different than the normal gfzrock texture. And about the spring, I still don't know if I should remove it or not... I could always lower the platform with the bomb ring and all players would have to do is just jump from platform to platform to get up there instead of jump, spring, land.

I still don't know if I should remove it or not... I could always lower the platform with the bomb ring and all players would have to do is just jump from platform to platform to get up there instead of jump, spring, land.
I think the problem is that, well, in a match level you need to take into consideration that most people using the level aren't going to be using LXShadow's Srb2cs exe. So that means, the level will have a lot of c-lag. Which makes actually platforming that weird section to the bomb ring hard. Then there's the spring. I think a fix could be just getting rid of the platforming and making a diagonal spring that will get the player up. Cause in a match, no one wants to be in a hotspot.

I think the problem is that, well, in a match level you need to take into consideration that most people using the level aren't going to be using LXShadow's Srb2cs exe. So that means, the level will have a lot of c-lag. Which makes actually platforming that weird section to the bomb ring hard. Then there's the spring. I think a fix could be just getting rid of the platforming and making a diagonal spring that will get the player up. Cause in a match, no one wants to be in a hotspot.

Yeah, I'll remove the platforming, but I won't make the diagonal spring. It'll just be a normal red spring.

Last edited:
As long as the bomb platform is easy to get to. Just because, in a match situation, it has to be smooth. And that one platform is not really any different from the others

Welp. It's been a year and I finally made a minor update. (View changelog)

Also, I FINALLY put screenshots of the current version. This may or may not be the last update. I am thinking about adding 1 more FOF platform to the almost empty part of the stage, but I'll have to see if I have time for it some other day.

Also, Merry Christmas, guys!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back