MD2 models stopped working?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Terra

I recently downloaded a few MD2 models and put them over some wads, along with the pack of enemy and item models from Jeck's MD2 topic, and they were working just fine until I deleted the blue crawla model from the md2 folder and from the dat file. Now, only a couple of the character models work. I tried re-downloading all the files, but it doesn't change a thing. This is on SRB2CB, by the way. The PNG edition doesn't make any difference.

Are you sure the models are the problem? I once had a similar problem when md2 models didn't work for certain skins. Try to apply the models that you are trying to use on a different skin.
for example, if the sonic model works on sonic, and say the tails model isn't working for you, make the sonic skin have the tails model. This won't fix the problem, but will tell us what exactly is broken, the model or the specific skin that you are trying to apply the model to.

Are you sure the models are the problem? I once had a similar problem when md2 models didn't work for certain skins. Try to apply the models that you are trying to use on a different skin.
for example, if the sonic model works on sonic, and say the tails model isn't working for you, make the sonic skin have the tails model. This won't fix the problem, but will tell us what exactly is broken, the model or the specific skin that you are trying to apply the model to.

But it already used to work before this happened, and on the same skins too.

But it already used to work before this happened, and on the same skins too.

I understand that, but doing this process will let us know what is the real problem, is it the models not working, or the ability for that certain skin to have a model that doesn't work.

I reopened the game and now all the models are working except the ones on the default tails and knuckles characters. Why? No matter what model I put onto them, it won't show up. It will just show the regular tails and knuckles without any model. I tried putting their models onto other characters, and they worked fine. Even when I have nothing added, no socs or wads, they still don't have the model that I put onto them, even though it was fine a few days ago.

I once had the same problem, and I fixed it a while back but I do not recall how. If I remember how I fixed it I will post the answer here.

I once had the same problem, and I fixed it a while back but I do not recall how. If I remember how I fixed it I will post the answer here.

I figured it out.
I had too many MD2 models in the dat file, so I deleted the enemy and item models, then the character models all worked like a charm.

I figured it out.
I had too many MD2 models in the dat file, so I deleted the enemy and item models, then the character models all worked like a charm.

Are you sure that is the reason? I understand clearing the md2 dat file solved the problem, but I currently have more in my md2 dat than I had ever before, and I had this problem aswell. Although, I do remember removing the jeck jim's items to replace them with some of my own, so maybe the error lies in one of the lines of jeck jim's items/enemies list in the md2. What I believe is that there might have been an error when he wrote the line for a specific md2, for example, lets say he tried to place the ring md2, and accidently spelled it wrong, and maybe the md2 file stopped working for the skins after it couldn't read the md2 file for the ring. So, mini-example:

Sonic sonic.md2 3.0 0.0
rings ring.md2 3.0 0.0
tails tails.md2 3.0 0.0

so maybe (this is not what actually happened, for I will not actually search his entire md2 dat list for the error :P) he mispelled ring, and put an 's' at the end, and srb2cb.exe was adding the md2s in order (it doesn't do that) and only added Sonic, but stopped at rings, because there was an error, and because it stopped it didn't register tails' md2 data. At least thats what I think happened.

Are you sure that is the reason? I understand clearing the md2 dat file solved the problem, but I currently have more in my md2 dat than I had ever before, and I had this problem aswell. Although, I do remember removing the jeck jim's items to replace them with some of my own, so maybe the error lies in one of the lines of jeck jim's items/enemies list in the md2. What I believe is that there might have been an error when he wrote the line for a specific md2, for example, lets say he tried to place the ring md2, and accidently spelled it wrong, and maybe the md2 file stopped working for the skins after it couldn't read the md2 file for the ring. So, mini-example:

Sonic sonic.md2 3.0 0.0
rings ring.md2 3.0 0.0
tails tails.md2 3.0 0.0

so maybe (this is not what actually happened, for I will not actually search his entire md2 dat list for the error :P) he mispelled ring, and put an 's' at the end, and srb2cb.exe was adding the md2s in order (it doesn't do that) and only added Sonic, but stopped at rings, because there was an error, and because it stopped it didn't register tails' md2 data. At least thats what I think happened.

Jeck's md2.dat didn't include a ring md2, and all my character skins came BEFORE the items and enemies.

Jeck's md2.dat didn't include a ring md2, and all my character skins came BEFORE the items and enemies.

I know jeck doesn't have a ring md2, I was just using it as an example. One item from jeck jim's pack might be written wrong in the md2 dat file, and what I think happened is that srb2 registered some md2s until it reached to registering the broken line in the md2 dat, which could have caused an error and abandoned the process of registering all the md2 lines from the dat, which is why some characters like Sonic have his md2 model whereas some characters such as tails or knuckles don't. Hope what I am writing makes sense, kinsa hard to explain.

I know jeck doesn't have a ring md2, I was just using it as an example. One item from jeck jim's pack might be written wrong in the md2 dat file, and what I think happened is that srb2 registered some md2s until it reached to registering the broken line in the md2 dat, which could have caused an error and abandoned the process of registering all the md2 lines from the dat, which is why some characters like Sonic have his md2 model whereas some characters such as tails or knuckles don't. Hope what I am writing makes sense, kinsa hard to explain.

But wouldn't it have registered all the characters before coming to any one of the items or enemies? I also checked the spelling of MY characters, and even tried changing the names of the models too. Nothing would fix it until I deleted all the items and enemies, so I don't even know.

But wouldn't it have registered all the characters before coming to any one of the items or enemies? I also checked the spelling of MY characters, and even tried changing the names of the models too. Nothing would fix it until I deleted all the items and enemies, so I don't even know.

I am not entirely sure how srb2 registers the md2s from the dat, but at a guess I would say it just randomly selects line by line and registers it that way. Thats how some quake3 engine games add pk3 files, so I would guess srb2 does the same with the md2 dat file. And again this is what I think happened. For this to be truly answered we need to find out how srb2 adds stuff. Oh, a good example is like adding a wad with lots of maps, and how they are randomly added. Like for example there could be a map pack with map01 and map02, but srb2 doesn't always add them in an orderly way, and sometimes it may say map01 followed by map02, and sometimes it might be vice versa with map02 first being added followed by map01.

Where can I find a list of all the skin names for each object?

Well it depends on what exactly you are talking about. If it is an item from SRB2, I would open srb2.srb and find the sprite for the object I am trying to apply an md2 to and take the name of the sprite as the name for the object in the md2 dat. For example, a ring. In srb2.srb, the first ring sprite is named "RINGA0", so I would put in the md2 dat:

RING nameofmd2.md2 3.0 0.0

Or another example is an md2 of the invincibility sparkles, in srb2.srb, the first sprite for those sparkles are called "IVSPA0", so I would take the name of that object (which can be determined by removing the A0, because the A0 indicates that it is the first sprite for the object), which would be IVSP, and in the dat file I would put:

IVSP nameofmd2 3.0 0.0

For a character that you add through a wad, you open the wad and discover the character's name by opening the "MAINCFG" file (Although some skins I found use "OBJECTCFG"), and using the character's skinname.

Last edited:
For a character that you add through a wad, you open the wad and discover the character's name by opening the "MAINCFG" file (Although some skins I found use "OBJECTCFG"), and using the character's skinname.

Why couldn't I just type "Skin" in the console? Most wads are very sloppy. =P

Why couldn't I just type "Skin" in the console? Most wads are very sloppy. =P

What you are implying is in-game, whereas I described it out of game. In console I have no idea. If you really do mean in-game, which has nothing to do with the md2 dat file, then you shouldn't have posted the question on this topic.

What you are implying is in-game, whereas I described it out of game. In console I have no idea. If you really do mean in-game, which has nothing to do with the md2 dat file, then you shouldn't have posted the question on this topic.

No, I mean as in. If you want to replace a wad with a MD2. To find the skin of that Wad. You need to change your Char, to the wad, ingame, And type Skin in the console to find what that wad's skin name is.

No, I mean as in. If you want to replace a wad with a MD2. To find the skin of that Wad. You need to change your Char, to the wad, ingame, And type Skin in the console to find what that wad's skin name is.

But, why actually go in-game, add the wad, go into a level with the selected character, just to find out the name of the character when you could simply open the wad and see the name right there?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back