Official Level Design Contest Voting: May/June 2008

Status
Not open for further replies.
For some reason, I started liking how huge that stage was. Although, it, um, does override the blockmap limitation if you do the math. :P But that's not what I most liked about the stage, so, um, yeah.

----{Single Player Maps}----
Elemental Mansion Zone, Act 1 by SonicMaster - 5/10
As first, I though this was a good map, sure the muti-maps and all, but something was left out, and currently I am trying to think of what was left out.

Also, needs more secrets, power ups, and stuff.
---------
Arid Oasis Zone by Hyperknux - 2/10
Ok, 3 things.

1. 2D mode doesn't really go well here.

2. Blind jumps that may always lead to a death pit.

3. REDWALL at the beginning.
---------
Limestone Ruin Zone by Chaos - 1/10
I'll give it downright to say that spikeballs are BAD with currents in the water, it was hard to see them coming, cheap deaths here and there, needs more starposts, and unplayable, need I say more?

Yes I do, near the start at the water tunnel with the spike balls, part of the wall is passable, I went right through the wall and entered HOM land.
---------
Techno Meadows Zone by gaiamegu64@yahoo.com - 2/10
1st map...?

Needs more jumping, also flat areas are kinda bad.

Also, less lostness.
---------
Limestone Lake Zone by Zanyhead - 3/10
Sorta mixed here and there, outside and inside, but really, you need to have this one less confusing, I kinda had a hard time finding the exit here, which happens be a random place, a END SIGN would help, really.

Also, if you fall in the water, PLEASE no backtrack to the start.
---------
Magma Core Zone by Blade T. Hedgehog - 7/10
Overall, I really liked this map, challenging, but not so challenging.

Lava Reef Music form S&K (S3&K) eh? Needs more looping, and it didn't fit in kinda.

Also, add more starposts, and lets not go into corners just for a button.
----{Single Player}----

Am I done now?

Superusuario said:
Backwards Race Zone(BRZ)By SonicMaster - 0/10
Uhhh...Is this backwards?I don't see nothing backwards...

You know, I don't think this is very fair at all to rate my map a 0 simply over what I named it. The backwards part was the fact that it went left instead of right. I'm not going to be able to netgame anyway, so I don't think it's fair that I should lose the contest simply because of your one vote.

It's about how well my map plays. I highly recommend you change your score and your feedback on Backwards Race Zone.

SRB2WikiSonicMaster said:
You know, I don't think this is very fair at all to rate my map a 0 simply over what I named it. The backwards part was the fact that it went left instead of right. I'm not going to be able to netgame anyway, so I don't think it's fair that I should lose the contest simply because of your one vote.

I wouldn't mind that, since all of his votes suck anyway. I'm sure Usuario's votes will not be counted in the final score.

Well, here I am again! 13 levels for this contest... that's one more than the last one! It's getting better (or worse, it depends)! Anyway, here's my two cents:

Single Player:
Elemental Mansion Zone, Act 1 by SonicMaster: 7/10
Yay for zoomtoobz! Not sure about the current, though. For me, there was too much of it, and you're just sitting therewaiting until you can star playing again, so I knock a couple of points off for that. I luv those changes in scenery, though. Also, it feels like you were inspired by lots of levels. Finally, I thought the rising platform activated by four switches was awesome.

Arid Oasis Zone by Hyperknux: 7/10
Interesting 2-D concept in which you use Jettysin Gunners to fire from the sidelines. When playing as Sonic, though, sometimes the thok PHAILS, and you get sent to a bottomless pit (or DimenGlabSpecial, take your pick). That and the narrow pipes are cheap, but it's otherwise great. (hey, it's better than some 2-D levels I've seen.)

Limestone Ruin by Chaos: 0/10
I have tried to figure out what is going on here, and I have come up with nothing but cheap pits, super dark water, and a whole bunch of other things that I loathe, so I deem this unplayable.

Techno Meadows Zone by gaiamegu64: 0/10
Well, unplayable in co-op mode, yet when you try to go Single Player, it says that the level doesn't support Single Player. It doesn't even look like it's finished; after two checkpoints, there aren't any enemies. Not only that, but there's AFALL, no creativity to the layout... need I go on?

Limestone Lake Zone by Zanyhead: 3/10
Okay, now here's where you learn a few things about Single Player levels. First off, WE HATEZ THE DETONZ! I didn't see them in the water, but I could hear them, and that's bad enough. Secondly, there was a shortcut, basically making the level too short and making it so you completely overlook the alternate path. There was okay placement of Sonic's emblem, though.

Magma Core Zone by Blade T. Hedgehog: 9/10
Bladey, you didn't disappoint here. I actually attempted the Sonic path, and I could get through the first section of rising lava once. So it's doable... you just have to be a very skilled Sonic player to do so... or lucky. I also liked the falling rocks gimmick; it looks so cool, and it makes the level tricky but not too tricky.

Here's a tip. Never use the word "limestone" in your level name; it'll just fall flat in its face.

Match:
Grizty Gultch Zone by Chrome the hedgehog: 6/10
I loved the gimmick where you have to break the rock walls to get to the monitors. (Go Hariyama, use Rock Smash *shot*) I did feel that it was a bit too open though.

Hyrule Temple by N. Cenz: 6/10
N. CEEEEEEENZ! *w00t*
Everything is simple to get to, plus just sniper makes for interesting gameplay. It's open, but there are plenty of places to hide from snipers. Side Note: Looks like the Melee stage except it's actually 3-D.

Plumber's Tower Zone by SonicMaster: 6/10
I see... a Mario themed Metal Spire. Good placement of the Bombs. I do think this is an interesting concept, but you made each room a little too tall. The level as a whole was a bit too squarish. I would have liked to see some more interesting shape to the level.

*arrowed for giving a 3-way tie*

CTF:
Jagged Valley Zone by Roy: 2/10
What happened here, Roy? No weapon rings at all, boring layout, and it's too open. I'd say more, but I would be risking total pwnage. XD

Scorching Ice Floe Zone by Oogaland: 7/10
This isn't all that original, but it's got a good layout of weapon rings, and it's got lava, icy water, whatever. Sniper bombs are cool here. From cold to warm to hot. Awsmness! My only gripe is that it's too big.

Well, this is better than NO CTF LEVELS AT ALL!

Circuit:
Backwards Race Zone by SonicMaster: 2/10
I like the concept, but there are a lot of issues here. First off, I was a little confused about the backwards part when I first did this. Second, there are too many obstacles. It's so hard to get through the narrow tunnels. Finally, there was a point where I got thrown off the track and I had no idea how I got thrown off. That can get frustrating, and it could happen with other people... not really fair, is it?

Cosmic Caves Zone by SimsMagic: 0/10
Nothing to the level. You put rocks and pits in the path, but does that stop the level from being a thokfest? Nooooo. There's even a part of the race where you're not doing anything. I'm sorry, but drill dashing in reverse is better than this.

Not much to the derby stuff in this contest, unfortunately.

Well, this contest turned out to be half and half, in my opinion. Who here misses teh Glaber Syndrome levels? >_<

SRB2WikiSonicMaster said:
Superusuario said:
Backwards Race Zone(BRZ)By SonicMaster - 0/10
Uhhh...Is this backwards?I don't see nothing backwards...

It's about how well my map plays. I highly recommend you change your score and your feedback on Backwards Race Zone.
OK,Edited my post.Happy?

Yeah, thanks, but...sigh. I seriously just decided to leave the entire SRB2 community just right now, including the Wiki, so it doesn't really matter to me, anymore. X_X

Anyway, it was fun here, and thanks for the reviews and such. But I'm not going to see you guys again. And no, it wasn't because of the low reviews for EMZ1. I just don't feel safe here anymore with what just happened on the MB a few hours ago.

Bye,
SonicMaster

SonicMaster, I've respected your stance on mature/violent content, and I still continue to do so. But before you leave, I would like give you a little block of advice for the future...

This is the internet. There is no true way you can stop these kinds of things from happening. If you frequent the internet like many of us do, you're going to encounter unpleasing content such as the raid that just happened, only perhaps even much worse. If you don't like cuss words, that's okay -- don't use them. But you're going to encounter them almost anywhere you go. If those sorts of things make you cringe, you'll simply have to adjust to them. I'm sorry, but this is a fact of the internet, as well as parts of life in general.

You don't have to like what you see, but in some cases, you have to tolerate it. Otherwise, I fear for how you will fare in the future.

As for unsafe... There's no such thing unless you give out personal information. Besides, on a forum like the SRB2MB, there's not much to worry about in terms of safety.

Wait, I just got back to my computer, what happened? PM me if you feel it will get too off-topic.

Ice said:
Wait, I just got back to my computer, what happened? PM me if you feel it will get too off-topic.
Me included. I just got on for the first time today.

Simsmagic said:
Ice said:
Me included. I just got on for the first time today.

And me as well... What did happen that made SonicMaster want to leave the entire SRB2 community? He's been so helpful on the Wiki, and he can't leave us now, can he?

I'll Begin said:
Let him go. If he doesn't want to be here, then good riddance to him, right?

Agreed, learn to stay out of other people's business guys.

That is enough lulz internet drama. This is a topic about contest voting. Please either vote in this topic or discuss the voting as it happens.

Elemental Mansion Zone, Act 1 - 5

Promising, but let down by the ubiquitous and unchanging use of the jump-onto-the-rectangular-platform mechanic. Turns but no twists.

Arid Oasis Zone - 3

Some jumps are a bit awkward, and others have to be made almost blind. Ending was a little abrupt.

Limestone Ruin Zone - 4

'Ruined' bits look quite nice and play reasonably well; water slides are dull and the spikeballs (and death pits) are too hard to avoid. Not enough reward for straying from the main path on the occasions I decided to do so.

Techno Meadows Zone - 1

Water should be slightly (~16 fracunits) lower than surrounding sector; grassy sectors need sector borders; springs were placed haphazardly and didn't have their angles set correctly; no scenery; can't remember seeing any enemies; penultimate section of the level had no clear sense of direction.

Limestone Lake Zone - 5

Not bad. A level with this number of enemies could use with being longer. Music is a bonus. Exit-sector positioning was a bit awkward. In some places (e.g. before first starpost) the player isn't quite directed along the correct path strongly enough.

Magma Core Zone - 7

Very nice. Difficulty was judged pretty well. Timing was maybe a little too tight on the rising-lava bit, especially with the final rising platform. I liked the way you have to make a lot of angles to follow the path through the level. Good work. One further quibble is that there's not quite enough scenery -- the pipes help to this end, but some torches or similar would have been an improvement. Nearly an 8.

Multiplayer levels if/when I can find a netgame to play them in.

EDIT: And here they are:

Match:

Grittzy Gultch Zone - 5

Not bad in itself, but I can't say it has anything to distinguish it either. I also think the death pits are too punishing.

Hyrule Temple - 6

Enjoyable to play on. Maybe an intermediate-height area would be an improvement?

Plumber's Tower Zone - 5

Paradoxically: too high but needs more height. That is, the different areas of the map make it too big to navigate easily (not helped by the difficulty of transitioning from one to the other), but within these areas not enough use is made of differing height of a jump's measure. Tree Ring is a master-class is this, incidentally.

Capture the Flag:

Jagged Valley Zone - 4

A bit too simple, I think. I measured about ten seconds to run from one base to the other (when unimpeded). Path balance was achieved quite well, though.

Scorching Ice Floe Zone - n/a

The fire/ice CTF idea had been shelved in the back of my mind for a long time, and I needed to make a test map for SRB2 Workbench. So I did.

Circuit:

Backwards Race Zone - 6

Going clockwise feels strange at first, but in the end I feel neither adds to nor detracts from the experience. Nicely done, except perhaps for the bit where you have to double back on yourself, which felt awkward -- I understand that this is the idea, but maybe it's a touch overcooked.

Cosmic Caves Zone - 3

Apart from at the warp pit -- which is strange in itself -- you don't actually need to jump in this level. Sonic can run straight across the death pits. If you added in some required jumps, varied the textures a bit and got rid of the special-stage-looking section, you could improve matters a lot. It's not a lost cause.

So, um, since it's the ninth, I figured I'd try calculating the votes. (SP only. I may work on the MP votes later.)

Here's what I did in Notepad:

Code:
*EMZ:989698357+8(1)63327575 = 6.315789
AOZ:55066056744345273 = 4.235941
LRZ:526263343586241154104 = 3.571428
TMZ:3422121411111311312201 = 1.727272
LLZ:433634655594535556335 = 4.619048
*MCZ:7(6)79768868+8688888797 = 7.65

(+ = 10, * = Lowest score dropped(Lowest score enclosed in parenthesis))

(Rounded to 6 decimal points.)

So yeah, Magma Core wins!

Kwik Edit: Just so everyone knows, I wasn't sure if Superusario's votes are eligible, so I just counted them anyways. If they don't count, feel free to let me know.

Moar Editz: Fixed an error in Limestone Lake's tally.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back