• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

Flame Factory BETA. A CTF wad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is the second WAD I have ever relaesed. Flame Factory is a CTF wad that uses a Lava / Machinery type structure. This involves alot of Lava, and to make up for the fact that the flag might get trapped in it, I set it up so that if you step in the Lava, you lose the flag. So it's not a good idea, even with a Inferno Shield. It's also not 100% mirroed just yet. The bases are a bit off from being directly across from eachother. Not by much though. It shouldent matter much. Just a bit more thought.

Now for screenies. These have been taken in OpenGL. Why? I'm starting to love it.

srb20009yl7.png

The main room. Boxes have been placed so that you can take cover from the ring special in this stage. Auto. Only three though, and they take a trip across the whole level to get all of them.

srb20010pn4.png

Another picture of the main room. This time from a different angle.

srb20011ry5.png

The "pipe system" in each base. This is identical as much as possible. The lege pipe opens up to show lava flowing through. This is acctualy a bit of an hinderance if you have the flag and mistime a jump. "Blue/Red Flag has been returned to base" ring a bell? This is balanced out by, well, the flag is REALLY close by the lava pipes. As long as your in your opponets base that is.

Now for teh downloads.

SRB2FFH Download Link <--- CLICK HERE FOR DOWNLOAD

Sendspace MIRROR Download Link <--- MIRROR DOWNLOAD

There you go! This is NOT completed, so feel free to say what needs to be fixed and what-not.

CREDIT TO:

Jellybones64: BETA Tester. Also added the MAINCFG when XWE and SRB2DooMBuilder were acting up on me.

HYPER SONILDOW: BETA Tester.

Me: Making this.

Have fun!

Hi,

I went to test this map in JTE and I got a "Not enough starts in this map" error. Then, I opened your map with SRB2DoomBuilder (Tools > Find map errors), too see what is happening:

1) No player 1 start found (essential thing to avoid the game from crashing)
2) Not enough multiplayer start found (necessary)
3) Missing textures (no problem now, once the map is in pipeline yet)

It's important to fix at least the errors 1 and 2 at the first.

The map is interesting, has a good proposal and good scenery, a good visualization, it's clear what's your intent.

On the other hand, you are not giving players choices: there's no alternative paths, central room needs to be enlarged a bit, player is obliged to not get hurt (995 sector type usage is an annoyance, since every time you got hurt with lava, the flag is returned instantly, so I'd keep myself worried either with lava or being shot), there's no scape/refuge areas, everything happens in central room (not good) so players will depend exclusively on shooting (and on luck), Think: what are the possibilities for players to create strategies and help each other to achieve the goal? CTF is that.

Explore more your idea, then we'll see a nice CTF map soon. :)

Bye

Gah. I always forget the Player 1 start. I DO have a deathmatch start there though. I also have a Red Team and Blue Team start as well. Though I do need more.

Also, multiple paths is gonna be REALLY hard for me right now. I was making the map, and I added the Thok barrier. So it's gonna take me a bit to get some done.

I dont QUITE know how to return the flag if it falls in lava then. I wanted it so that it didn't take someone getting hurt AGAIN to get a flag trapped in lava. I'm working on making the whole middle section bigger, and then i'm gonna try some FOFs above the lava that can fall down and create a bridge.

Other than that, anything else?

I got one. Why do I spawn on the opposite side of my base? That's asking for someone to go the wrong way. Byt the time someone gets over there, they'll realize "ooh, this is my base. Better turn around" Well, at that point, you're too late. The other team will nail you on the way to your flag. So make sure colors match with sides of field.

Angelus_the_echidna said:
I got one. Why do I spawn on the opposite side of my base? That's asking for someone to go the wrong way. Byt the time someone gets over there, they'll realize "ooh, this is my base. Better turn around" Well, at that point, you're too late. The other team will nail you on the way to your flag. So make sure colors match with sides of field.

XD Sorry. I was too worried about the visual glitches that were caused by the Thok Barrier that I forgot about Red and Blue team's start positions. This is all gonna be fixed ASAP.

Nathan Speed said:
Also, multiple paths is gonna be REALLY hard for me right now. I was making the map, and I added the Thok barrier. So it's gonna take me a bit to get some done.

Ok.

Nathan Speed said:
I dont QUITE know how to return the flag if it falls in lava then.

Apply 995 sector type in all lava's control sectors, and remove it from all lava's sectors.

Okay, I fixed a few things in the main area, and tried a few shortcuts through the bases. They failed. Adding type 995 in the Lava sectors made them like regular water and you lost the flag as soon as you touched the floor. HOWEVER, I got it to work so that only if you get hurt in the lava do you lose the flag. This means that using the Inferno Shield in the lava means that you can keep the flag. Allowing the flag bearer to take the offensive and hide under the lava. I added 5 multiplayer starts, 4 single player starts, and 4 CTF starts. The CTF starts face at the opponets base now, and the lava is deeper.

I'm putting the new BETA up for download. See first page.

Try it please! I wanna get this level done and done well.

Also, the huge open pipes in the main room, what should I do with them? I was thinking fill them with lava then put a FOF over it to fall and plug up the lava. But that may not be a good idea. I dunno. Any help with ideas?

Maybe for an alternate shortcut, how about a pipe in the main room? It's filled with lava though, so you would need the inferno shield to get it. It would actually maybe be longer, but considering the size of this level, it would be safer. It could probably drop down right into the opposing team's base (near the flag) And so you can't enter it from your own base, some springs. I don't think that was very clear, but meh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back