Contest Discussion Topic (2.0.X)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks, yeah the third screenshot is only to show the bridge, since I haven't continued on yet. For square floors, do you mean like a path for the playerto walk on? If so I think I'll add that to it.

Edit: Ah, I see. Just adding to the scenery of the floor texture.

Last edited:
Uh...a "path" ?
I mean this.
srb20043.png

After I submitted my map, I discovered a glitch in it. I fixed the glitch and then edited my post in the Contest Submissions forum to include an attachment with the non-glitchy file instead of the glitchy one. Do I know for sure whether it has already been downloaded to be included in the compilation, before I updated it? If it probably has already, who should I PM about it?

After I submitted my map, I discovered a glitch in it. I fixed the glitch and then edited my post in the Contest Submissions forum to include an attachment with the non-glitchy file instead of the glitchy one. Do I know for sure whether it has already been downloaded to be included in the compilation, before I updated it? If it probably has already, who should I PM about it?

I'm pretty sure they compile the maps right at the deadline.

I don't think you have anything to worry about.

Yeah, the maps are downloaded and compiled when the deadline is due, so you can edit your map as much as you want until then.

Just remember that whatever is uploaded as an attachment when the contest is compiled is going to be considered your entry, and you don't have any control over what time after the deadline that is, so make sure to be ready before 7 PM EDT so we don't see people complaining that their entry wasn't included.

Oh I certainly did not know that, and I was just wondering that myself. Well then I should go back and fix a few things.

This is just a little SP level I've been working on. I'm not sure if it'll be done for this OLDC but I'm pretty sure my circuit level will be ready. Any suggestions on textures is welcome, I'm kind of iffy on the wall textures.

srb20018.png
srb20019x.png
srb20020.png

The Level is good, Nice Level layout, Textures, And the Bridge.

The Level is good, Nice Level layout, Textures, And the Bridge.

Thanks, I've added more to it, and fixed up the beginning, looks a bit messy though. Anywho I've finished a rough version of my circuit map:

srb20022.png
srb20021.png

I might brighten it a level or two, add some shape to the track, and change the middle invisible wall. Yeah I used the grid textures, I thought it would be nice for a beginning start in 3D mapping with simple textures for a simple map.

Well Rei, I can just tell your map isn't going to win in the Race aspect. You're just running in circles avoiding... nothing, these little pillars serve no obstacle at all. Looks like one of the most boringest race maps I've seen, to be honest. You also added nothing special to the race, you just run. No higher floors as well, so it's going to be simple to thokfest it.

Well Rei, I can just tell your map isn't going to win in the Race aspect. You're just running in circles avoiding... nothing, these little pillars serve no obstacle at all. Looks like one of the most boringest race maps I've seen, to be honest. You also added nothing special to the race, you just run. No higher floors as well, so it's going to be simple to thokfest it.

Sure, the second shot, near the finish line looks like that, but I'm not sure about the first.

Rei, that's a cool concept I've thought of exploring myself, but haven't gotten to it yet. I just wanna say that in a cyberspace world like that, I think it'd be neat if you put all kinds of cubes, bits of data floating and moving around. Kind of like the space junk in Fawfulfan's Spacewalk Zone. Maybe you could even use some falling ones for obstacles over pits.

Sorry to chain a triple combo, but it's true. The theme cybernetics may be beautiful, but we will not pass on the design level which is very minimal.
Maybe the sky gives a sympathetic atmosphere, but anyone can see that you just copied and pasted sectors (decoration). I do not know if you have time to readjust before 28th/29th/30th.

I've been reading some of the old voting topics out of boredom, and I can't help but wonder what some of you have against symmetry in Match maps. What's the problem with it?

I would tell you myself, but the Wiki already covers it so accurately that I would be wasting my time. Here go some quotes:

Place all six weapons onto the stage. While in older versions of SRB2 using all the weapons was a death knell, the new system really doesn't work nearly as well without access to every weapon.
You probably already know this. However, there's something important that you should consider when placing the weapons.

Weapon tile locations should be memorable. It is important for players to remember where each weapon is located, so they can actively decide to take detours to collect it or not. Supplying visual cues to important item spots help the players memorize the layout of a stage. Likewise, it is a good idea to make different sections of a map look fairly distinct from each other, so that players can tell where they are just from looking at their surroundings.
Once you've understood that, it becomes obvious that Match stages can't be symmetrical.

Don't make your map symmetrical. Symmetrical maps simply do not work in Match because of the necessity of placing 6 weapon tiles in distinct areas so the player can always go find the weapon they want. If the map is symmetrical you'll either end up with multiple weapon tiles providing an excess, or the player will have to guess which weapon is in which spot.

And at the risk of spoiling something, this is why I can guarantee you that the map you submitted won't be well-received.

Well, that's true. But it's a little too late to change my contest entry, isn't it? We only have one week left, and I'm going away from home on the 26th, and I don't know whether I'll have internet access or not. So I guess I'll just have to hope that the reversed gravity and the ability to walk on both the inside and outside will do something for the map. At the very least, I'll be able to get criticism on where to improve, besides the symmetry. I guess part of the reason I made it symmetrical is that most irregular maps confuse me. To me, "asymmetrical Match map" is just a synonym for "map that's really easy to get lost in."

Well, that's true. But it's a little too late to change my contest entry, isn't it? We only have one week left, and I'm going away from home on the 26th, and I don't know whether I'll have internet access or not. So I guess I'll just have to hope that the reversed gravity and the ability to walk on both the inside and outside will do something for the map. At the very least, I'll be able to get criticism on where to improve, besides the symmetry. I guess part of the reason I made it symmetrical is that most irregular maps confuse me. To me, "asymmetrical Match map" is just a synonym for "map that's really easy to get lost in."

Perhaps you could convert it to a CTF map, it's your choice really. Just set up bases, and add the CTF-specifics.

I tried that, but unfortunately it didn't work at all. The flag refused to spawn on top of the FOF it was placed on, and no matter what I did, I couldn't get it to spawn correctly, even when I set the Z position and removed the gravity flippers and all that stuff. I guess I'm going to have to sit back and watch my map fail, then.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Back