So... wait.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been thinking about this for a while now... and can we even think of slopes as something that would ever be possible in SRB2 anymore? I mean, this has been speculated for years without any knowledge of them. It's just been so long with slopes being hoaxed and disproved, and with the 1.1 video showing a 1.1 map with slope-like stairs, well... that might just be the end of slopes; you also have to think: If we had slopes, what could we use them for? Would they lag? How would you determine the angle? Would the texture on the slope count as a flat or a wall texture? Would slope physics work? Would you be able to make slope FOFs? How do you make them? Would sector effects work (ice/sludge and the like)? Is it even possible in this engine?

I've lost hope for this already, and I'm sure this is for nothing, but I still wonder... maybe it's really being done behind the scenes and is just waiting to surprise us in 1.1?

This thread is relevant to my interests.

There have been various private Slopeswin.exes made. At the moment, slopes have only been able to be rendered in OpenGL, and the physics have been kind of hard to master. This is all I know.

Oh, and they have no sides IIRC and are unaffected by OpenGL Lights.

They have slopes in GZDoom (both renders, I think), but this is DooM Legacy, so it's hard to get slopes just right. Even harder because this is Sonic, not DooM, so the slopes physics would be much different.

I see where you're going, Begin. With many of us, we believed it would be easy to just take slope code from another version of Doom and just port it, but I guess we were wrong. Having no sides is a setback, but the disaffect of OpenGL lighting isn't a huge deal, though with polyobjects being software only, and slopes being OpenGL only, this creates a paradox with a side of conundrum, topped with a spicy enigma sauce.

On a side note, I've never seen slopeswin.exe. I've only heard of the great "Antiporcupine" and his famous code...

There have been legit screenshots floating around. I'll bet that a lot of them, legit or not, will appear in this thread.

But if someone was looking at a player halfway up the slope, they would just see a line/a weird streched sonic, there is no top sprites =p and you can kinda fake slopes with md2's but you can't go up them, and I have the old slopewin.exe or whatever it's called, there ARE slopes, but no loops, slopes can be faked with really steep and close stairs, but it might lag with that many floors

I really wouldnt care much for slopes. But what about the damned shuttle loop? As LightDasher said, there are none.

We can always hope, I guess.

Play Wizard2

The design of the level format in SRB2 is not conducive to the kind of slopes you'd see in Sonic. It's better for small ramps in an FPS, at best.

You know, if it weren't hard to put slopes into SRB2 and that was your only reason for not doing it, do you know how many people would still be bothering you to put it in anyway?

If there's something I've noticed about the SRB2 community, it's that we can innovate using the limited engine at our disposal. Look at Draykon's socs.

We can think of making slopes as stairs. We make two sectors, right next to each other. We click them both, and we can change how high it will go. If they are left to right, it slopes left and right. Same for diagonals and up and down. But hey, this'll need some new technology stuff for SRB2 Builder.

I guess the main problem would come from the fact that slopes aren't so easy to recreate when the sector doesn't resemble a rectangle :P How would you set up the slopes in that case then? Definitely using the sector data isn't the solution, only a linedef executor would work.

@Sik, make a box outside, turn it into stairs then move it back in
@I'll Begin, I highly doubt you'll/anyone will be able to soc slopes,

but besides, we don't need slopes, SRB2 can be fun without it, it's nothing speacil that were missing (though most sonic DO have slopes 'n loops)
But it can't be done unless faked, loops would probably lag in netgame, but i don't know about slopes, there faked like in GF2 but that's as close as your going to get as slopes.

I mean that I think Sik used the wrong term. What could a Linedef executor possibly do? You mean a linedef action like a FOF or a fake floor, right?

IF slopes were possible, then also loopings were possible.
IF loopings were possible then you'd need a whole bunch of new character sprites to fit the angle/facing of the actor.
And that whole bunch would be, in fact, at least 10 times as many sprites as there already are, to make the game look at least halfway realistic.
I mean, slopes are a great idea, but I don't think that you can make it happen. =/

ohai, don't mind me please.
srb20038.png

Looks like slopeswin to me. Those were kinda buggy gameplay wise, and weren't completely rendered in OpenGL mode, or rendered at all in Software.

But yeah, anything slopes can do, stairs can do as well. Excluding loops of course, but loops add little to gameplay.

0?

That IS a valid screenshot. It's from a 1.09.2 EXE modified to have slopes. But it's buggy, and you can only see some of it. The walls on the side of it are to hide that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back