The Rickroll... has died. RIP...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, time to settle this bullshit once and for all.

Would you kindly cut it out with the GOTO, catch-all response "MEMES SUCK LOLS".
I won't make an analysis case by case, because that'd be near impossible, and humor is always subjective.
Now, from a different standpoint, let's say we analize a standup comedian: Some people laugh at some jokes, some other people don't. Some people laugh at OTHER jokes, but others do not. Many overlapping between those who like or don't are there, making an impressive amount of different opinions on the matter. Somebody could've liked the first joke, not the second but the third but not the fourth, etc. So, now we know some people might like memes from the get-go while others do not. We cool?

Ok, so there's people who liked the joke. Tell it again to them. Ok it wasn't that funny, but it was great. Tell it again: ok, not so funny, we already know the set up-delivery-punchline. Tell it again allright stop right there you criminal scum.
See? The joke is never as funny the fifth time. You might deny it, but there is a chance you liked the joke, because you could have never seen the song coming. Same could apply to any meme. I said MIGHT because, humor being subjective, you can't know WHO liked it firsthand. Awesome. The problem of why you are NOW finding the joke unfunny, unless you didn't the first time, is because of the nature of the medium. Thanks to the internet, this stuff is up there forever, and is easily transmittable, kind of like a disease. Since it keeps propagating, there is ALWAYS somebody who will see it for the first time, essentially perpetuating the machine, and awlays making somebody see it fresh. In a way, memes can't die, which is part of the joke behind "the game".

But Arf!!!!
Yeah, there is another facet, let's deal with the people who did NOT find it funny the first time:
You know when you and some friends get together (of course I'm making noassumptions, because I know how go-get'em social some of you are) go out camping/ to a school trip/do a brothel rush? You know when you laugh at some of the darndest things? Some of the most completely batshit retarded things ever known to man? You know when you go back to school, and you just can't stop laughing and everyone around starts trying to know? Welcome to the wonderful world of in-jokes!

Now let's switch thigns around. Now you see those bastards laughing at something... How dare they, laughing and not telling you!
Curse them
, you say, while straightneing your vilest looking moustache; you just want to snap their little spines... But then through some incredible sleuthing, you get them to tell you...
"And then Jim stuck a spoonful of worms down his trousers and you just had to look at his face oh my god haha"...
Is that it? Christ, this shit is bananas...
And in that moment, you realize the sublime zenith... you can see everything, yet nothing... you simply aren't, you just... flow...

Why isn't it funny? Well, it's not funny to you because you weren't in the circle in which the joke was conceived.
HEY GUESS WHAT!? WHAT SITE DO PEOPLE CONSTANTLY DISS AND SAY THEY'D RATHER NEVER VISIT EVER EVER EVER?
Why, that'd be Sonic Rob- I mean 4chan, home of memeland (not trying to dismiss any importance of Goonology, but just bear with me now)! Some memes might not seem funny to you because you weren't there to see them. You don't know the context of the joke. You didn't go through the joy of coming it up.
You weren't there... now stop pretending you did.

And that concludes my thesis which I'm sure will net me a place in Harvard. Further questions should be forwarded to my assistant, spambot@fakemail.com.

EDIT OF AN EDIT OF AN EDIT OF AN EDIT:
If you want some actual Rickroll death news, you might want to know that they removed the audio track from the rickroll'd video located here.

Last edited:
Last time I checked, Rickroll was supposed to be annoying as all hell and just annoy, not be funny or anything.

Guess it can finally do it's job now :P

That's something I think a ton of people seem to forget. For all the overuse that memes tend to generate, running jokes catch on for a reason. In the case of Rickrolling, tricking people into clicking something that isn't what they're expecting is humorous. The video itself really doesn't matter at all.

The only time I ever made the rickroll funny was when I set up a gm_flatgrass server on Gmod and replaced a nuke explosion sound with the rickroll, (in case you are wondering how people didn't notice the file's name before they finished downloading is because I changed the file name to whatever the nuke explosion sound name was for it to work.) I waited for the server to get enough people, then I launched a nuke smack into the middle of the area and everyone (including me) got rickroll'd to death, I have never seen more ragequits in my life. XD

Last edited:
Who actually stays to watch the whole rickroll? Just report it for "misleading text", like I do. It makes the world a better place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back