Where did they go?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gemini Spark

The EX version
It seems that quite a few people from the older days of srb2 have just disappeared (Sonikku, Digiku, and Some Guy in particular). Discuss or explain, please.

Digiku had other things to do in life. Neo Chaotikal probably just got bored with SRB2. Have no idea about Some guy. Sonikku's probably in his late twenties right now and has other priorities.

Gemini Spark said:
It seems that quite a few people from the older days of srb2 have just disappeared (Sonikku, Digiku, and Some Guy in particular). Discuss or explain, please.

For one, those aren't the only people who have left - I could write up a 5 page list of people who I'd love to see return. Sadly, communities don't last forever.

I've tried keeping tabs with all of those who have left SRB2 - Digiku in particular is one who I regularly speak with.

Neo Chaotikal probably just got bored with SRB2.
You're halfway there.

Have no idea about Some guy.
After being here for 4+ years, it's hard not to pack your bags.

Sonikku's probably in his late twenties right now and has other priorities.
CaptainAwesome is still around. He comes onto #srb2fun occasionally. The last time I spoke with him was when Blastley was being developed.

SRB2WikiSonicMaster said:
Sonikku's probably in his late twenties right now and has other priorities.

He's about a year younger than me. Don't make me older than I really am. ;)

I think certain parts of the SRB2 community pissed JTE off by leaking his SRB2JTE betas.

Undoubtedly, though, there were other reasons, such as him continuing on other projects, such as Agora's Legends.

SRB2WikiSonicMaster said:
Considering JTE actually posted recently (like last month), I would believe he does lurk IRC.
He doesn't lurk SRB2MB or #srb2fun, actually. That was just a random post because someone showed him the thread.

I'm not suprised they're leaving, the steaming pile of crap this board is turning into is enough to make anyone leave.

The intelligent users are slowly leaving due to the amount of stupidity on this board, this place was once a great board to be on, being a moderator/admin was (I assume) easy and peaceful, now it's nothing more than a chore to clean up after users with a user ID above 1000 (not all of you, I know, but it seems that most intelligence comes from < 1000).

The amount of crap I have to deal with on the MS is driving me crazy.

Cue said:
I'm not suprised they're leaving, the steaming pile of crap this board is turning into is enough to make anyone leave.

The intelligent users are slowly leaving due to the amount of stupidity on this board, this place was once a great board to be on, being a moderator/admin was (I assume) easy and peaceful, now it's nothing more than a chore to clean up after users with a user ID above 1000 (not all of you, I know, but it seems that most intelligence comes from < 1000).

The amount of crap I have to deal with on the MS is driving me crazy.
All I have to say is ":D". Kthxbye

Ritz said:
Well, Spazzo just linked me to this topic, so I'd assume he expects me to chime in with pleas of retribution. Well, I'm not doing that. First of all, it should be said that I don't really consider myself to be an "oldbie"; I've only really been around for four years of the nigh-decade that this community has existed. By this mindset, none of the people advocating intelligent discussion within this topic are oldbies, either. In fact, come four more years' time, Sykotic, On Edge and the rest of the newbies are going to be calling themselves oldbies, and by that time, they'll probably be lamenting the changes the community, as they perceived it, has further undergone, just as we are now.

To be perfectly honest, in retrospect, I don't think the community was ever intelligent to begin with. Not to say that I didn't enjoy my stay here, because that obviously isn't the case. This was the first forum I ever joined; it served as the catalyst to my development as a strapping young internet denizen, it molded me into the respectable, handsome cretin I am today by serving as a buffer for my stupidity back when I was too shy to join The GHZ, which was a far more intimidating forum in comparison. This forum has served as a much larger part of my "life" than I'm willing to admit, which is why it was so saddening to see it go! But then I got over it.

See what I did there? There were people here who thought I was funny, and the people who hated me because I thought I was funny. When the latter made that much clear, I thought, "Man, screw SRB2! I'm too good for this, I'll find another, better community." And I did. Several of them. And I don't often look back. See what I'm getting at? This is the reason the oldbies leave, and the newbies stick around: The newbies don't know any better. They like what they see because they haven't seen anything else. On the other hand, when the oldbies become dissatisfied with the current state of affairs, they spread their wings and move on to bigger, better things, be it life, or just another community.

Many of you are most likely nearing that threshold now. It's too late to change anything- it's just shoveling sand against the tide. If you can't stand the way things are, your only recourse is to move on. It is the nature of all things to degrade with the passage of time. It is also the nature of the internet community to degrade as it's userbase becomes saturated. It'll only keep getting worse until SRB2 dies, and the members peter off. Perhaps, at that point, when the userbase is back to a manageable size, the community will become the close-knit haunt it once was, and the cycle will start anew. But we'll all be long gone by then.

I understand that many of you won't immediately take this essay to heart; you'll keep fighting for the forum you once knew. But, in the end, you'll all come to see things my way. So long, SRB2MB, I hardly knew ye~

P.S: It's also amusing that the only time any intelligent discussion ever occurs here is when the forum's collective intelligence is being called into question. Perhaps all that needs to be done to shape things up around here is to replace the "Helpful Links" box with a big, fat message exclaiming "OH MY GOD YOU ARE SUCH A ****ING RETARD."?

Cue said:
The intelligent users are slowly leaving due to the amount of stupidity on this board...

And of course a few of the intelligent users slowly turned to spawning some of that stupidity and were forced to leave. (teh Dark Side is full of n00bs, nein?)

Can we get less "OH GOD FORUM DYING" drama around here? The broken record player is getting even more annoying than the issues with the forum themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back