January/February 2010 Voting

Status
Not open for further replies.

FuriousFox

AKA FuriousFox
Welcome to the January/February 2010 contest voting. We have 17 Multiplayer maps and 6 Single Player maps this time.

The voting works as follows: Play a few games of the stage in question, in the intended gametype for judging, and give the map a vote from 0 to 10, no decimals. You can not vote on your own map. Votes where the voter obviously did not play the level in its intended gametype, or where the voter did not play the multiplayer maps with other real players will be discarded. To encourage voting, if you are an author and you judge all of the competitor's maps, the lowest score on your map will be dropped. Please be as unbiased as possible for the author or the look of the map. It's all about how good the map plays, nothing else.

Although it's not necessary, it's very helpful to make comments about what you liked and didn't like about the map, so the author can improve his skill for future attempts.

Judging will end March 8th at midnight GMT (March 7th, 7:00 PM EST). The scores will be then averaged, and the person with the highest score is the winner.

Winners will have their usertitle changed to "Contest Winner", and will be given a golden username. This will last up and until the next contest winners are decided.

The maps follow:

Single Player Level Pack

Singleplayer:
Rainsoaked Ridge Zone, Act 1 by Mach - 4.19
Buzzards Bay Zone by WEREHOG - 0.85
Jadeflower Zone, Act 2 by blahblahbal - 2.22
Giana Dream Blast by glaber - 5.25
Mountain Fortress by verifiaman - 3.20
Eggmansion Zone, Act 1 by KO.T.E - 7.76

Multiplayer Level Pack

Match:
MAPM1 - Restricted Cavern Zone by blahblahbal - 3.77
MAPM2 - Frost Forest by RedEchidna/darkbob1713 - 6.77
MAPM3 - Neo Green Lake Zone by Scizor300 - 3.58
MAPM4 - Amber Ravine by Spherallic - 6.67
MAPM5 - Acid Plant Zone by KO.T.E - 7.00
MAPM6 - Astray Canopy Zone by stoneywagner - 5.00
MAPM7 - Land of Light and Rain by Errol - 4.08

CTF:
MAPF1 - Upload Download Zone by fawfulfan - 5.46
MAPF2 - Night Shrine Zone by Hyperknux - 5.00
MAPF3 - Coldlava Cliffs Zone by blahblahbal/darkbob1713 - 5.00
MAPF4 - Sunkist Falls by Spherallic/Blade - 6.09
MAPF5 - Arial Skyfort Zone by Mach - 2.71

Circuit:
MAPR1 - Crispy Canyon by RedEchidna - 6.27
MAPR2 - Frosty Aroura Zone by darkbob1713 - 5.44
MAPR3 - Thunder Factory Zone by Blade - 7.87
MAPR4 - Midnight Lagoon Zone by blahblahbal - 1.87
MAPR5 - Molten Mountain Zone by stoneywagner - 5.07

Voting Results: http://www.srb2.org/contest/contest.xls

Please make sure to play the levels in the intended gametype, and above all, have fun judging!

Last edited:
Single Player

Jadeflower Zone 2, by blahblahbal – MINE/10
Ok, I would give this about a 3 or 4 if I could. There was one visual glitch I couldn’t seem to remove.

Eggmansion, by KO.T.E – 9/10
Okay, this level is AWESOME, but it lagged a lot for me. Epic detail is epic, like the blood on the graves and the arrows.

Giana Dream Blast, by glaber - 6/10
Kinda gloomy, but interesting graphics. Not really my style of level.

Mountain Fortress, by verifiaman - 0/10
I couldn't even make it out of the first area.

Rainsoaked Ridge, by Mach - 5/10
Veeeery short level, but nice texture choice, and I liked the music.

Buzzard's Bay Zone 2, by WEREHOG - 5/10
I liked this level. The boats were a pretty good idea, but there was one place where there was random placement of rings and red crawlas.

Match

Restricted Cavern, by blahblahbal – MINE/10
I’d give it a 7 if I could, mainly because it’s my first match level. Sorry if the blue glass annoys you.

Amber Ravine, by Spherallic – 5/10
It was easy to get lost in this level, and it was in my opinion, too big for a match level

Acid Plant, by KO.T.E – 9/10
Pretty good match level, but the acid in my opinion shouldn’t be instakill.

Frost Forest, by RedEchidna/darkbob1713 - 7/10
Coulda been better, but it was pretty frosty. Had that winter feeling.

Neo Green Lake, by Scizor300 - 6/10
Big, but nice texture choice.

Astray Canopy, by stoneywagner - 8/10
Good, I like it.

Land of Light and Rain, by Errol - 2/10
Weird. Too bright for my liking. Water doesn't fit; isn't that a custom tune?

CTF

Coldlava Cliffs, by blahblahbal and darkbob1713 – OURS/10
My idea to do a fire ice theme level, but it was only with Dusk’s help that I learned a lot about mapping. 9/10 if I could.

Aerial Skyfort, by Mach - 3/10
Uhm, too big and WAY too wide open.

Upload Download, by fawfulfan - 6/10
This was an interesting concept, but too big in my opinion.

Sunkist Falls, by Spherallic/Blade - 5/10
Too big for a CTF level in my opinion and laggy. Though I respect you guys for attempting the hardest CTF theme to do.

Night Shrine, by Hyperknux - 4/10
WAY too big and too many death pits. Annoying flames are annoying.

Race

Midnight Lagoon, by blahblahbal – MINE/10
Okay, bad level. 2/10 if I could. It took me about 2 hours to make this.

Crispy Canyon, by RedEchidna – 8/10
Another CCZ, but oh well. It was pretty good. One thing, though: the Starpost activator sectors shouldn’t be so large and shouldn’t have 2 Starposts.

Molten Mountain, by stoneywagner - 5/10
Rated low because of no feeling of actual lava. Other than that, it's pretty intricate.

Frosty Aurora, by darkbob1713 - 6/10
Ok, opposite of FFZ last contest, but still just as good. Apparently NiGHTS levels can classify as both SP and Race.

Thunder Factory, by Blade - 5/10
I don't really like ERZ/THZ themed race levels.

Yes, I did play them. I had them before the contest deadline. Obviously.

Last edited:
So do we use this topic or wait until the non-preview version?

Rainsoaked Ridge Zone, Act 1 by Mach 4/10
Waow, I almost forgot to rate this one!
This level was short, but it was also a level 1 level.

Buzzards Bay Zone by WEREHOG 0/10
Can't Play, got a "too many flats" error
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JdP0xWhy1U

Jadeflower Zone, Act 2 by blahblahbal 0/10
Where's the Exit?
Video: N/A

Giana Dream Blast by glaber Can't Rate/10
Some have gotten the fealing of a Mario Hack from this level. Well good, this was intended. Nintendo Felt the same way about the Great Giana Sisters and they sued Timewarp because of this back in the 1980's. I made this level because I was inspired by the Commador 64/ Amiga/Atari game. I even got lucky enough that Timewarp made a ringtone of the DS game's music which was used in the level. The Graphics came from a sprite rip and screen shots releated to the Amiga version of the game as that version had the better graphics. To get the new animated Textures for the Giana Blocks I had to replace part of the lava texture.

Like the Giana Sisters levels, I made my level short. Also like the First Giana Sisters level I used the first area Of Mario Koopa Blast like how Giana Sisters used the first bit of Super Mario before the first Pipe.
Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eswn25s6xY4

Mountain Fortress by verifiaman 4/10
It was okay, but I don't get why the Skims had no water, why there was fish outta water, water at floor level, and the teleport to the exit.
Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VoTVffcK0Wg

Eggmansion Zone, Act 1 by KO.T.E 8/10
A really good level, I can't find much to say really.
Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LyABqIROyw4

Multiplayer Level Pack: Can't rate any level in it. Haven't played them yet.

Last edited:
Buzzard Bay Act 2: Crashes with the error message: Too many flats in level.

May want to fix that.

Singleplayer:
Rainsoaked Ridge Zone, Act 1 by Mach - 5/10

The texture choice was good.
Nothing but crawlas.
The music was okay.

Buzzards Bay Zone by WEREHOG - 3/10
Crashes unless you open it in a map editor then play. (Was it even tested?)
Death pits covered by opaque water.
Unneeded yellow springs in the last area.
Extremely cramped in one part.

Jadeflower Zone, Act 2 by blahblahbal

Giana Dream Blast by glaber - 4/10
About half of the level is edited from MKB1.
Very short.

Mountain Fortress by verifiaman

Eggmansion Zone, Act 1 by KO.T.E 8/10
The music sounds really weird slowed down.
Good detail
A little easy
The translucent block in the looping block should have stayed a bustable opaque block like in the beta.
The turret room is more annoying than it is hard.
Socced facestabbers were good.
The level never got boring.
Good amount of multiple paths and replay value.

---------------------------------

Will add more reviews soon.

Last edited by a moderator:
SP Reviews:

Rainsoaked Ridge Zone, Act 1 by Mach
+Good environment.
+I liked the music choice.
-Enemies restricted to crawlas.
-No gimmicks, consisted of pretty much only platforming.
-Altogether not too memorable.
5/10

Buzzards Bay Zone by WEREHOG
-Opaque pools with death pits are annoying; at least make them transparent so we can see what's under them.
-Boats are completely pointless.
-Why is there an invincibility box on the main path?
--Level crashes when loaded normally. Try not to build your levels so close to the block map (the red box surrounding the design field) next time, that results in unexpected glitches.
0/10

Jadeflower Zone, Act 2 by blahblahbal
+Decent texture choice.
-Cramped in some parts, far too open in others.
-Inescapable pools of death; no spring, no death pit, only wait out is to drown. (Didn't I point this out in the act 1 review too?)
-After the zoom tube loop, could not figure out where to go next and just ended the level here.
-No gimmicks besides platforming.
-Green springs fairly pointless.
2/10

Giana Dream Blast by glaber
+Like the music choice.
+Textures are well-done.
+I liked some of the gimmicks involving the ? Blocks (having ten coins and then a spring pop out)
-Short.
-Skinny platforms makes moving fast impossible.
6/10

Mountain Fortress by verifiaman
+It's playable.
-Popping skims over a death pit: haha no.
-Level consists of mostly platforming...
-...over a death pit.
-Got lost in some areas.
-Why do I teleport to the finish?
-Have I mentioned death pits? Because there are a lot of them. Most of them unnecessary.
-Gamedata: Very unnecessary.
1/10

Eggmansion Zone, Act 1 by KO.T.E
++Visuals are extraordinary.
+I like that the Egg Knight can retreat from you.
+The music fits...
-...But it's not that good. MCZ just doesn't sound good slowed down like that.
-Water seems to rise too quickly (Though this may just be me).
-Turret is annoying.
7/10

Last edited:
Simsmagic said:
-After the zoom tube loop, could not figure out where to go next and just ended the level here.

Oh crap, I forgot to add an arrow to point you to the teleporter. There's a boss fight in that level, just look at it in DB. And the pools of death aren't inescapeable; look closer.

Well, let's get this voting started!

SINGLE PLAYER DIVISION

Rainsoaked Ridge Zone, Act 1 by Mach - 5/10
Visually, this level is pretty decent, but it's way too short, and there's not much scenery. The gameplay and music is decent, though.

Buzzards Bay by WEREHOG - 1/10
Unplayable, too many flats.

Jadeflower Zone, Act 2 by Blahblahbla - 3/10
Decent, but clearly unfinished. I got lost a couple of times due to horrid texture variation, and one flat wasn't even saved as a doom flat. Some colormaps were off, and some rings were not deafed, and there was no way to get out of the water pits at some points without having to switch to Tails or Knux. The boss area was bland, and the level did not end after I killed the boss. Overall decent, but not good.

Giana Dream Blast by Glaber - 7/10
A much more enjoyable level, and very interesting too. The enemies were pretty decent, and the diamond things looked pretty good too. This was a pretty decent level, but a bit hard to find your way.

Mountain Fortress by Verifaman - 5/10
Couldn't finish, but here's what I have for the most part. The jumping was a pain in the ass, but the visuals were decent and the music was great.

Egg Mansion Zone, Act 1 by KOTE - 7/10
Couldn't finish, but this level is still quite well made. The visuals were cool, the texture variation was enough so that I could find my way, but it was dark in some areas, making it harder to see. The little note that shows when you spawn can get very annoying at times, but overall, it was a great level.

I will have the MP division up when I can find a suitable netgame.

Eggmansion Gelatin Mountain Zone Act 1 by KO.T.E: 7/10

So, as I staKEEP A EYE OUT FOR ROOMS THAT SEEM TO HAVE NO EXIT, THERE ARE THINGS THAT WILL POINT YOU IN THE WAY TO GOrted the level, I saw that the Egg Knights learned some slick new dance moves. But there was no time for dancing; I have a goal to reach! As I continued forward, narrowly escaping lethal gelatin and following arrows made of white wrenches, I went through room after room after room of non-mansion-ness and found a multitude of gelatin based platforming. However, aside from being cherry flavored, nothing here was really all that unique. Or Mansion-y. After going through and seeing even more dancing Facestabbers, I come across a room that looped around in a really awkward fashion and a seemingly breakable block that was actually translucent and pasthrough and totally not work noting in the beginning of my adventure here, leading to an exit from the poorly executed gimmick that lost it's luster because the first few seconds of the stage spoilered it for me, even though the exit was obvious. After that, I made a beeline for the exit, got hungry, and went searching for Jello, only to find absolutely nothing :<

Buzzards Broken Bay by WEREHOG: 0/10

Ka-BEWWWWWWWWWWWWWM
Flats blew up the level. Yeah.

Jade Uglyflower Zone Act 2 by Blahblahbal: 0/10

Easily the most hideous level in this current competition, it was as if a blind person and a 2 month old badly colaberated on the visual design of the level. Everything clashed, and looked insanely awful. It was just as bad as the first, I thought, and then I found the elvel wasn't completable: After going through a horrible looking loop and falling in an invisible floor to get to a boss that was piss easy...Nothing! The level was uncompletable! Beating the boss did nothing whatsoever, and I was left in an ugly room with 4 square, useless puddles. Yay.

EDIT: Wait, it is, but only if you go in this corner int he boss arena. You don't even have to fight the lame boss. Score still stands.

Mountain Fortress Obvious Beta by Verifaman: 3/10

The first half of the level felt okay so far, aside from black pit flats not having half light blocks (which is pretty much the standard for pits now), and then I pressed onward to find... far more rushed areas. It felt like you desperately needed to finish this contest, so you threw everything you could inside. What we got was a completely forgettable, ugly, and unappealing level.

Rainsoaked Ridge Which Level Was This Again Zone Act 1 by Mach: 2/10

I went in, and as I herd the music, I immedietly thought of the most terrifying mod ever: Eggmanway 5. As I desperately tried to press onward... The level ended. How anti-climatic. I couldn't remember a thing about this level, other than looking SLIGHTLY less hideous than Uglyflower Zone and Obvious Beta. So... Yeah, nothing I can say. It's that forgettable.

Giana Dream Blast Boring Mario Koopa Blast Rom Hack by Glaber: 5/10

If it wern't for the new GFX, this would easily have been the most generic level I have ever played. The GFX were the only things notable about it. No gimmicks, but it's not some test of skill either. It's a level, played through once and never played again. But I will say this: It is MUCH better than your older SP stages, that's for sure.

Frankly, I don't play MP at all anymore, so I probably won't do it. I may do race though, since only one player is needed for that. As for my SP level, I stopped caring about it :P

Last edited:
Odd it worked when I played it through. I do not know what happened there. I am not able to fix it unless my level editor (broken) works. How can I fix this? Follow Eggman. He leads you to the exit.

I have the same exact problem. Anyone gonna fix this?

Load it using Doom Builder and it should work fine.

Also, I must explain about JFZ2: There is a teleporter at the end that takes you to the boss fight, and when you finish the boss off, go to the corner that he rushes to.

And in the big pool, off to the left there is a way out of the pool.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back