Official Level Design Contest Voting: January-February 2007

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mystic

Welcome to the January-February 2007 contest voting. Large turnout, despite a significant amount being from one person. Hopefully a few of his had some effort in them.

The voting works as follows: Play a few games of the stage in question, in the intended gametype for judging, and give the map a vote from 0 to 10. You can not vote on your own map. Votes where the voter obviously did not play the level in its intended gametype will be discarded. To encourage voting, if you are an author and you judge all of the competitor's maps, the lowest score on your map will be dropped. Please be as unbiased as possible for the author or the look of the map. It's all about how good the map plays, nothing else.

Although it's not necessary, it's very helpful to make comments about what you liked and didn't like about the map, so the author can improve his skill for future attempts.

Judging will end March 10th at midnight GMT (March 9th, 7:00 PM EST). The scores will be then averaged, and the person with the highest score is the winner.

The maps follow:

Single Player Contest Level Pack - 3,405 KB

Match/CTF/Circuit Contest Level Pack - 1,253 KB

Single Player Pack contains the following maps:

Green Field Zone by CZ64
Gelespious Mtn Zone by Penopat

Match/CTF/Circuit Pack contains the following maps:

Match
MAP01 - Castleon Zone by Glaber
MAP02 - Glaber Glutch Mine Zone by Glaber
MAP03 - Clinker's Cavern Zone by Glaber
MAP04 - Targetzan's Temple Zone by Glaber
MAP05 - Emerald Park Zone by Dark Warrior
MAP06 - WW Shootout Zone Zone by Glaber
MAP07 - Icicle Pyramid by Glaber
MAP08 - G. Glutch Village Zone by Glaber
MAP09 - Toxic Falls Zone by JJames
MAP10 - Death Egg Zone by Kaysakado
MAP11 - Temple Tryst Zone by nickgamer2001@yahoo.com

Capture the Flag
MAP12 - Wasteland Towers Zone by Flame the Hedgehog
MAP13 - Mario Vs Sonic CTF by Sales
MAP14 - Frigid Cave Zone by JJames
MAP15 - Wooden Base by Kaysakado
MAP16 - Basilica Battleground Zone by nickgamer2001@yahoo.com
MAP17 - Daimondus Zone by Glaber
MAP18 - Castle Canyon Zone by Mystic

Circuit
MAP19 - Sparkle Pop Zone by CZ64
MAP20 - Glaber Glutch Circuit Zone by Glaber
MAP21 - Tier by BlueZero4
MAP22 - Battle Woods Zone by Glaber
MAP23 - Angel Island Zone by JJames
MAP24 - Ice Cap Zone by JJames

Please make sure to play the levels in the intended gametype, and above all, have fun judging!

Yes I do, but Glaber Glutch circuit is missing a set of springs allowing Sonic to pass without help. :oops:
I sent in a fix but it looks like it got ignored. I guess that means I have to compleatly test my maps before submitting them.

Judgement:

Greenfield: Why it's Green Flower redesigned to work with a fixed camera. Interesting. 7/10

Gelespious Mtn Zone : All I can say is WOW! I only saw 1 redwall but you'd have to look for it. 9.4/10

Match
MAP01 - Castleon Zone by Glaber This map came from the canceled game Jazz Jackrabbit 3 and was remade for SRB2.
MAP02 - Glaber Glutch Mine Zone by Glaber Inspired by Glitter Glutch
MAP03 - Clinker's Cavern Zone by Glaber Not to be confused with Clanker's Cavern of B-K. This map is from Banjo-Tooie.
MAP04 - Targetzan's Temple Zone by Glaber Also from Banjo-Tooie
MAP05 - Emerald Park Zone by Dark Warrior this was an interesting one. the fountan didn't work thoe. 6.5/10
MAP06 - WW Shootout Zone Zone by Glaber Mine Joke (A mode 7 joke compleate with mode 7 collsion) This came out of Wacky Wheels
MAP07 - Icicle Pyramid by Glaber Mine (Direct from Diddy Kong Racing)
MAP08 - G. Glutch Village Zone by Glaber This level is home to Glaber Base 4 (the metal building) the thwomps and spikes are the scuirty for the World Of Pain. This is currently the only map to have the WOP and get higher than 0.
MAP09 - Toxic Falls Zone by JJames 4/10
MAP10 - Death Egg Zone by Kaysakado Worse than Castleon. This one was like a person with beraly any experience 1/10
MAP11 - Temple Tryst Zone by nickgamer2001@yahoo.com 5/10

Capture the Flag
MAP12 - Wasteland Towers Zone by Flame the Hedgehog
MAP13 - Mario Vs Sonic CTF by Sales : It was my brother's first entry, and it lacked single player starts. 3/10
MAP14 - Frigid Cave Zone by JJames It was'nt to my liking. 4/10
MAP15 - Wooden Base by Kaysakado 2d doesn't work well with CTF. rotten Goose Egg 0/10
MAP16 - Basilica Battleground Zone by nickgamer2001@yahoo.com
MAP17 - Daimondus Zone by Glaber My best map!
MAP18 - Castle Canyon Zone by Mystic it was big and I got turned around at least once. 8/10

Circuit
MAP19 - Sparkle Pop Zone by CZ64 5/10
MAP20 - Glaber Glutch Circuit Zone by Glaber This map was started because of the Tails Speed Problem in races. Because there was no Tails Flags I had to use the Knuckles Flags.
MAP21 - Tier by BlueZero4 Ugh this was horrid 2/10
MAP22 - Battle Woods Zone by Glaber The point of this was to battle your way through while racing. Intended mode is Full Race only.
MAP23 - Angel Island Zone by JJames the checkpoints where borked
MAP24 - Ice Cap Zone by JJames

Single Player:

Greenfield: 7/10
It's pretty good, but I think it would be much better if SA mode was turned off. I also like the idea of making the Crawlas jump up and face the player.

Gelespious Mtn: 9/10
It’s really good, but really, really hard with Sonic. That’s the only reason I lowered the score to 9.

Match:

Castleon: 7/10
It’s kind of good, but mazes don’t work that well. Also, Tails and Knuckles can easily dominate the map.

Glaber Glutch Mine: 8/10
Pretty good, but it still has a little bit of maze.

Clinker’s Cavern: 8/10
Simple, yet good. A very good combo in SRB2 level-making.

Targetzan’s Temple: 7/10
Good level layout, but there’s still a bit of maze. But I like the doors.

Emerald Park: 9/10
This is really good! Different areas, good level layout, good item placement, and so on and so forth.

WW Shootout: 5/10
It’s really cramped, and well, that’s bad.

Icicle Pyramid: 6/10
It’s good, but small. If you add on to this level a little more, it would be really good, though.

G. Glutch Village: 7/10
Really good, but not very good for match. Also, I got a weird glitch where the CECHO that RedXVI uses in CEZ2 comes up, and than I get transported, like in CEZ2. Then I killed myself and came back to G. Glutch Village, but I was so freaked out.

Toxic Falls: 9/10
This is awesome because of one thing: The slime. If it was water, or nothing’s there at all, this would have gotten a 7, but it’s slime! Yay! :P

Temple Tryst: 8/10
Pretty good, but small.

This will be edited with the other category’s scores later.

EDIT: Here’s CTF:

Wasteland Towers: 8/10
It’s pretty good. I especially like the forest section of it.

Mario Vs. Sonic: 6/10
It’s kind of good, but it’s not symmetrical, and the flag is up on high pillar, which is really bad.

Frigid Cave: 9/10
This zone is simple, yet hard, and has multiple paths! Very good!

Basilica Battleground: 8/10
Pretty big, and simple. Good.

Daimondus: 8/10
Big, and simple, which as I have stated before, is good!

Castle Canyon: 7/10
This is good, except for the castles. The castles have a bit of maze in them, and mazes don’t go well with Sonic.

EDIT2: And here’s circuit:

Sparkle Pop: 7/10
Fun, but a few things stop the flow that is so important to Sonic: The death pit, the springs, and weaving in between the walls.

Glaber Glutch: 7/10
Fun, multiple paths, and an overall good time. Only bad thing is that you forgot to put springs at one part, so Sonic couldn’t get past. That lowered what would’ve been an 8 to a 7.

Tier: 8/10
It’s pretty good. The only bad things are that there’s only one path, and the platforms take away some of the flow.

Battle Woods: 7/10
This is just plain evil! Fun, but evil!

Angel Island: 8/10
Fun, but the part with the waterfall and the wooden rods is hard if you’re Sonic and don’t know what to do.

Ice Cap: 8/10
Nothing takes away from the flow, and it’s a fun course, but only path, which lowered what could’ve been a 9, to an 8.

Kaysakado said:
G. Glutch Village: 7/10
Really good, but not very good for match. Also, I got a weird glitch where the CECHO that RedXVI uses in CEZ2 comes up, and than I get transported, like in CEZ2. Then I killed myself and came back to G. Glutch Village, but I was so freaked out.
:eek: That wasn't suppose to happen!

Why does it happen anyway? (telling me I did not test it enough does not tell me anything as to how this happens.)

It's because it's on MAP08 and your level uses a sector which is required for the RedXVI event to happen. Whenever a player steps into this sector, the event is triggered; regardless of gametype. =P

My contest voting post. Votes subject to adding and/or change at any time.

Votes in a nutshell:

Green Field Zone by CZ64 - 5/10
Gelespious Mtn Zone by Penopat 7/10

Match
MAP01 - Castleon Zone by Glaber 2/10
MAP02 - Glaber Glutch Mine Zone by Glaber 1/10
MAP03 - Clinker's Cavern Zone by Glaber 0/10
MAP04 - Targetzan's Temple Zone by Glaber 0/10
MAP05 - Emerald Park Zone by Dark Warrior 4/10
MAP06 - WW Shootout Zone Zone by Glaber 0/10
MAP07 - Icicle Pyramid by Glaber 3/10
MAP08 - G. Glutch Village Zone by Glaber 2/10
MAP09 - Toxic Falls Zone by JJames 6/10
MAP10 - Death Egg Zone by Kaysakado 2/10
MAP11 - Temple Tryst Zone by nickgamer2001@yahoo.com 5/10

Capture the Flag
MAP12 - Wasteland Towers Zone by Flame the Hedgehog 6/10
MAP13 - Mario Vs Sonic CTF by Sales 2/10
MAP14 - Frigid Cave Zone by JJames 4/10
MAP15 - Wooden Base by Kaysakado 3/10
MAP16 - Basilica Battleground Zone by nickgamer2001@yahoo.com 5/10
MAP17 - Daimondus Zone by Glaber 8/10
MAP18 - Castle Canyon Zone by Mystic 4/10

Circuit
MAP19 - Sparkle Pop Zone by CZ64 5/10
MAP20 - Glaber Glutch Circuit Zone by Glaber 2/10
MAP21 - Tier by BlueZero4 Yo
MAP22 - Battle Woods Zone by Glaber 0/10
MAP23 - Angel Island Zone by JJames 5/10
MAP24 - Ice Cap Zone by JJames 4/10

I elaborate:

Single Player:

Green Field Zone by CZ64: 5/10
*breaks out USB PS2 pad* This is great! You have re-invented 2D! It didn't look like that one patch of water didn't have a colormap. Still, it adds to the feel. [notdockingyoupoints]However, because I played this with a USB pad, I had a little trouble staying on the bridge.[/notdockingyoupoints] Still, the fact remains that this is more of GFZ1 than I'd like, even if it wasn't an edit. That is docking you points. (Also, there's a tiny problem with your thok-barrier. It has "da missin' texcha" problem after the pool of water. Also, doing the special stage with the camera was delightful. ^_^ Again, 5/10.

Gelespious Mtn Zone by Penopat: 7/10
Hmm, where am I supposed to go? What's this for? Is this area ment for something? It doesn't have any stuff in it. Ouch that jump was impossible. Ack, THEY'RE ON ME! Wha- What is that? Honestly, I couldn't tell half the time that I wasn't supposed to go in all those crevices. Or that I was spposed to go thataway. Mostly, the level had an inate source of direction. Err, in the first part. Other than that, I couldn't tell at all where I was. Also, many of the areas were unused. I mean, really, was there supposed to be anything in the fire pit? No? TAKE IT OUT! *slapped* Seriously, use up your levels. Also, half the time there werre to many enemies. And I mean the ones that follow you around, which you can't shake. Probably the biggest reason I went without those enemies in the second half was because I died. :( Also, this one, little jump was getting on my case. Next to the "scenic" waterfalls. I mean, there's friggin' death pit down there, and I have to thok to make the jump, yet I can't stop. Stupid platfrming genre. An- no, it can't be! A missing texture! Wait, what's this? Is that a- Yes, it is! Honestly turn around in the cavern. My screen filled up with a- a- *faints* Also, did you know that there is a texture that doesn't sploosh! at the end? Major, major points off for graphics. And in case you haven't noticed, a secret that a player can't get to is a secret wasted. Still, you have CZ64 beat. Again, 7/10

Multiplayer:

Match:
MAP01 - Castleon Zone by Glaber: 2/10
Hmm, maze, undeafed rings, and the stripes of DooM! And you say this was a remake?
JJames19119 said:
You just need a source of inspiration that DOESN'T come from another game. Once you get that down, I'm sure you could make a decent map.
Shuffle said:
No. No, no, no, no, NO.
Ports of levels from other games rarely ever turn out any good, because those levels were originally built taking advantage of a completely different engine.
Also, I couldn't really get around. Finding other players was a nightmare, and being able to stick around long enought to make the kill was impossible. Again, 2/10

MAP02 - Glaber Glutch Mine Zone by Glaber: 1/10
Cramped, maze, crap. I couldn't do anything because I got caught on the doorways. Finidng people was, again, impossible. The cramped passageways were idiotic, so the only battle was in little rooms. Little, crappy rooms. And why was there rail? It got caught on the walls. And after that, I couldn't fire leaving me open. Again, 1/10.

MAP03 - Clinker's Cavern Zone by Glaber: 0/10
Now this was awful. I couldn't find anyone. When I could, they were so bogged down by the crampedness that I could hit 'em in one shot. No, absolutely not. Again, goosegg.

MAP04 - Targetzan's Temple Zone by Glaber: 0/10
Okay, why was there rail again? I mean, this was the crampedest map here. I couldn't get around, and this time it was I who got shot in here. I couldn't move, and I was constantly bumping into people who could shoot me. Goosegg.

MAP05 - Emerald Park Zone by Dark Warrior: 4/10
Open and bland. Too much space. The only really interesting thing here was going on top of the things, which was kinda pointless seeing as how the fight was going on on the ground floor. I got 15 seconds of fun! Actually, that was pain and hurt for those I hit. The rapid-infinity combination was idiotic. Absolutely stupid. Also, this map was unplayable due to the extreme lagginess of the decorations. Again, you got a 4.

MAP06 - WW Shootout Zone Zone by Glaber: 0/10
Well, this glorifies your other maps. It was really stupid to have all the knuckles users spamming the invisible walls. Again, I kept getting shot in the crampedness. The weapon rings were useless. There wasn't enough for the bomb to explode on, and the homing rings missed alot. Get out of my contest.

MAP07 - Icicle Pyramid by Glaber: 3/10
Well, the rail-bomb combo worked semi-well. Err, I mean one player dominates all. The fight was mostly on the sides, and the middle was unused except for grabbing a weapon ring or two.

MAP08 - G. Glutch Village Zone by Glaber: 2/10
Oh noes, teh telreportra de doomies. After we activated the teleporter once, we got around to the sheer openness and dullity of this map. Also, One guy got stuck with the "ticket seller" toad. He couldn't get out. Also, I heard a few remarks of hating maps with thok barriers. And the side passage was a "no", a great fat "no". Nobody else was there, so no points. Also, the flow was killed by the platforming, and even more-so by the spike balls. And lastly the thwomps. I couldn't even get the "secret" at the end of the hall. And then why were there two rapid rings there? No. Learn from this.

MAP09 - Toxic Falls Zone by JJames: 6/10
Hmm, fairly average. Fairly decent. There was room to run, and shoot. I appreciated the water sheild in the middle, though.

MAP10 - Death Egg Zone by Kaysakado: 2/10
I can't imagine how much effort you put into your map only to have it come out with this result. Red sky, but lots of FOFs. Try to be a llitle more creative next time, okay? Also, this on lagged like nobody's business.

MAP11 - Temple Tryst Zone by nickgamer2001@yahoo.com: 5/10
Nice, but I didn't see much in this map to make it a good match. Well, we didn't really have any obsticles, so this was a flat plane. With a bomb ring that was really useless.

Capture the Flag:
MAP12 - Wasteland Towers Zone by Flame the Hedgehog: 6/10
Umm, sorta boring. Yes there was flow, but run, run, jump, jump, run. With a little shooting involved, I can't see this as very complicated.

MAP13 - Mario Vs Sonic CTF by Sales: 2/10
Mario - I can't get up to the flag. Wait, a thwomp! *walks over* This looks tricky. *gets thwomped*
Sonic - Wha? Texture problem. And platforming killed it.
Seriously, putting two rapidfire rings next to an infinity is a very ba- *thwomped*

MAP14 - Frigid Cave Zone by JJames: 4/10
This just reminds me of a certain phrase in Spanish: No más! Honestly, it was impossible to go bottom. Slip, slide, and fall off. Top was almost too easy, the way you could just walk on over. Unbalanced maps are bad. Also, I couldn't get the flag out of base. I belive the proper term is "fatal funnel."

MAP15 - Wooden Base by Kaysakado: 3/10
Mmm, get a little more interesting 2D design before trying this again, kapeesh? (I mean, it was just a few platforms. That were incredibly skinny and useless, might I add.)

MAP16 - Basilica Battleground Zone by nickgamer2001@yahoo.com: 5/10
No, just won't do. Red was to easy to invade, and blue was confusing. The point of this map seemed to lay in the ground floor, not up top. Also, adding the platforming in the red base killed it. The teeny little crushers on the way to blue were idiotic. They either killed you or they didn't.

MAP17 - Daimondus Zone by Glaber: 8/10
Best map here, without a doubt. Smooth flow, and great textures, and the music helped a lot. The only downside in sight was the two infinity weapon rings stacked. Take 'em out.

MAP18 - Castle Canyon Zone by Mystic: 4/10
Oh. My. Word.
You can't seem to make your maps any more confusing. You had to make the castles difficult. Getting out of that was doable, in time. However, getting to the other team's base was downright impossible. I could not tell where I was, or where I was going. To that matter, falling in the water made you do an annoying little platforming stunt that killed the flow. Err, what was left of it.

Race:
MAP19 - Sparkle Pop Zone by CZ64: 5/10
Get these annoying glitches away from me, they reek. All the gimmicks didn't help. When it came down to it, you clogged our race way, then gave us zip panels that send us away from our goal. And the textures were unbearable. Yuck.

MAP20 - Glaber Glutch Circuit Zone by Glaber: 2/10
Sonic couldn't finish. Uhhh.

MAP21 - Tier by BlueZero4: Yo
Well, what did I expect? It was a bit cramped. It but thoking out of style, but it also gave a lap 1 advantage. I liked the linedef exs, but even I thoked through the deploying thok gard. Only what I can expect...

MAP22 - Battle Woods Zone by Glaber: 0/10
Well, enemies in a race map? No. Enemies required to be killed? No. More mazy design? No. Goosegg? Yes.

MAP23 - Angel Island Zone by JJames: 5/10
Fairly nice, but only nice. The logs would've killed the flow if you actually needed them, but you didn't. Another thing I'm marking you down on is the first star post. I couldn't lap it for my life. It seemed you neglected to put up a starpost activator, no?

MAP24 - Ice Cap Zone by JJames: 4/10
Oh no, apparently an early map. See, there was flow, but too much. It cries out to me: "Thok, my dear boy! Thok for your life!"

Wow. I expected a little more than this. Tough luck, guys.

Match
MAP01 - Castleon Zone - 3/10
Horrid (undeafed) ring placement. Mazelike design, and just isn't fun.

MAP02 - Glaber Glutch Mine Zone - 5/10
The concept is pretty horrid, but in practice, the level is actually kinda fun.

MAP03 - Clinker's Cavern Zone - 3/10
Why does this feel familiar? While the concept kinda worked above, it's kinda messed up here. Partially because of the screwed up textures.

MAP04 - Targetzan's Temple Zone - 1/10
Ok, now this motif is just old. The cramped corridors don't really work in such a maze. And the doors just break flow.

MAP05 - Emerald Park Zone - 8/10
Normally I wouldn't rate this high, but by this point I'd seen most of the levels, and this was a pleasant relief. While it's a little painfull on the Software renderer, it was nice.

MAP06 - WW Shootout Zone Zone - 3/10
Just, too PLAIN. Totally flat except for the invisible FOFs, which just don't work.

MAP07 - Icicle Pyramid - 6/10
One of the better maps this contest, but still sorta lacking. An outside area probably would've made it feel less repeditive.

MAP08 - G. Glutch Village Zone - 3/10
This level was pretty nasty. It lagged up Software, and was just too open otherwise.

MAP09 - Toxic Falls Zone - 5/10
Fairly nice, but a tad... tempting. The platforms annoyed the hell outta me, as they were JUST out of jumping range most of the time. And without that, it was kinda simple.

MAP10 - Death Egg Zone - 3/10
Teh sky is red! But yeah, just too simple. Nothing more to it.

MAP11 - Temple Tryst Zone - 8/10
Ah, another good map. It's a fairly nice concept, and it does work for the most part.

Capture the Flag
MAP12 - Wasteland Towers Zone - 7/10
Pretty good, but it's a tad painfull on the software renderer. Plus, alot of people seemed to have trouble getting out of the quicksand. 'Twas kinda fun this way though.

MAP13 - Mario Vs Sonic CTF - 2/10
No, just NO. The tremendous jumps were a pain with the flag. I got frustrated and manually switched maps before anyone scored ONCE.

MAP14 - Frigid Cave Zone - 5/10
Could be better, could be worse. The icy path was a pain, and rather easy to avoid. Making it a little useless.

MAP15 - Wooden Base - 3/10
Far too straightforward, you just can't build a good 2D map. Not to mention it bugged up quite a bit.

MAP16 - Basilica Battleground Zone - 5/10
Kinda fun, but it was definately unbalanced. It was far easier to break into the Red base than the Blue base. With symmetry it would've been pretty good though.

MAP17 - Daimondus Zone - 8/10
A fairly good one. Not too huge, not too tiny. Not too straightforward, but not too mazelike. My only gripe is that it's a bit too open.

MAP18 - Castle Canyon Zone - 9/10
Took me a bit to get the lay of the land, but definately a good one. Gave me a nice sense of scale. And really made me feel like an invader of the enemy's base.

Circuit
MAP19 - Sparkle Pop Zone - 6/10
Fairly nice, but one fatal flaw. Play it in software ;)

MAP20 - Glaber Glutch Circuit Zone - 6/10
Admittadly pretty good, but a little buggy. A teleport monitor can land a Sonic user on the Knux path, leaving him stuck. Plus that deathpit didn't work.

MAP21 - Tier - 8/10
Suprisingly good, gave Knux users a bit of an advantage, and was less about raw speed, and more about the actual skill.

MAP22 - Battle Woods Zone - 2/10
My first thought was 'Enemies in a Circuit level? Bad move'
My second thought 'Defeat all enemies to move on hardly works in a Sonic game, let alone a circuit level'
My third thought 'A BOSS? This is just ridiculous >_>'
So yeah, bad move with the enemies.

MAP23 - Angel Island Zone - 6/10
Hmm, not bad, gave Knux an advantage. But gave Sonic a game over ;)

MAP24 - Ice Cap Zone - 9/10
Again, normally I wouldn't rate this high. But this is definately the best circuit in here. A tad too straightforward though.

Edit: Singleplayer
Green Field Zone - 7/10
'Tis alright, but I really don't like the idea of editing GFZ. Still, kinda nice.

Gelespious Mtn Zone - 9/10
Very excellent, feels like PSO. My only complaint, is that it seemed kinda... impossible as Sonic.

Overall I feel that the active ingredient in this contest was fail. Makes me wanna get off my lazy ass and enter next time.

JJames19119 said:
It's because it's on MAP08 and your level uses a sector which is required for the RedXVI event to happen. Whenever a player steps into this sector, the event is triggered; regardless of gametype. =P
So what sector/sector tag woud that be? tag 31?

Edit: I think I know how it got triggered. It was sector 355 that did it. Durring my testing I never even thought that any sectors would trigger the script. It was never even triggered durring testing in the first place.

Green Field Zone - 5/10

You get points for a really neat idea, but it really doesn't play well at all, since Sonic is at the very edge of the screen when you run at full speed. Maybe if you could speed up the camera or zoom it out more, the gameplay wouldn't suck so bad. (Sorry if that sounded offensive. D:)

Jello-however you spell it Mountain Zone (Penopat's giant mountain zone. Yeah, that other SP level) - 9/10

Great, I love how huge everything is. You're missing out on a lot of content if you just beat the level without searching for the buttons. Could've used a bit more decorative objects.

I guess the level is meant for slow characters. I messed around with cam_speed and other camera options once, and I kinda gave up. You should try playing with Tails, as it's not really a Sonic level.

Single Player

Green Field by CZ64 - 6/10
I need to review this map once more, before I give comments.

Gelespious Mountain by Penopat - 10/10
Brilliant. You really could not of done better with this map. The implementation of the AGZ-styled secret was great, the flow went well, the PSO-based teleporters, and the music. I thoroughly enjoyed exploring this map, to see all it has to offer. Needless to say, I did find a single peice of insignificant REDWALL on the map, but you really need to explore to find it anyways. :P Good work.

Match

MAP01 - Castleon Zone by Glaber - 1/10
Small, no rings, maze-like, and un-deafed rings. Need I say more?

MAP02 - Glaber Glutch Mine Zone by Glaber - 2/10
Small, crouded, and maze-like.

MAP03 - Clinker's Cavern Zone by Glaber - 2/10
Small, Crouded, and *shock* maze-like!

MAP04 - Targetzan's Temple Zone by Glaber - 3/10
See Above.

MAP05 - Emerald Park Zone by Dark Warrior - 7/10
Small, crouded, and...wait, no.
Finally, a change from the rest. This map actually has some great potential, although it is too big for the rare software user. You went a tad overboard with the scenery and flowers however, making it an eyesore to find players.

MAP06 - WW Shootout Zone Zone by Glaber - 0/10
Dear lord. 0 Rings + Respawning fire shield + mode 7 layout = Goose Egg.

MAP07 - Icicle Pyramid by Glaber - 5/10
While this map suffers from all of the things i've previously mentioned, the main diffrence is that this one was actually pretty fun. Most of the time, people stayed in the outer rim of the course, sniping one after another. Gotta fix the translucent middle, however.

MAP08 - G. Glutch Village Zone by Glaber - 1/10
Unplayable, due to RedXVI Glitch. Now, I understood that that was not your fault, so you got an extra point from me.

MAP09 - Toxic Falls Zone by JJames - 8/10
While symmetrical maps are declining in popularity, this map shows why they really stand out. Nice idea, nice implementation, thus, a nice grade.

MAP10 - Death Egg Zone by Kaysakado - 0/10
REDWALL. Eww.

MAP11 - Temple Tryst Zone by ST218 - 7/10
This one was not bad at all, actually. Unfortunatly, it suffers from classic ST218 syndrome: Too large, overload of rings, hard to reach areas, etc. Scale it down a bit, and make the middle part of the temple more interesting, and this map will really shine.

Capture the Flag

MAP12 - Wasteland Towers Zone by Flame the Hedgehog - 8/10
This one actually wasn't all that bad. Get's a bit harsh with the framerate with a large croud, but is otherwise very good. I managed to figure out the secret, too. You really have to make that thing a diffrent texture or something. ^_~

MAP13 - Mario Vs Sonic CTF by Sales - 2/10
I believe I do not need to comment this one.

MAP14 - Frigid Cave Zone by JJames - 9/10
All right, a challenging CTF Map! While I can easily spot the Midnight Freeze Zone, in truth, that makes no diffrence. It had alot of nice areas to hide, and many ways to go. My only complaint, is the lack of more ice peices in the middle area, but I guess it was just too hard for me. :P

MAP15 - Wooden Base by Kaysakado - 0/10
2D mode just fails in general, when it comes to netgaming.

MAP16 - Basilica Battleground Zone by ST218 - 4/10
Oh boy. As much as I adore the Gilgamesh theme (You know this better than anybody else), this map lacks basic CTF requirements. The distance between the highest ceiling and the lowest floor is a distance that is only suitable for Dive to your Doom Zone. The crushers in the blue base really farked up at times, making it an instant-kill. The castle doors, going off behind you in the blue base were just a pain. To help put this into perpective for you, play the map as solely sonic, and try reaching every nook and cranny of the map.

MAP17 - Daimondus Zone by Glaber 9/10
Xmas wall's + GFZ floor? Odd....
Anyhow, i'd go on and on about how this map is good, but most people have already done that for me. Indeed, it is a simple representation of Sapphire Hills CTF, but it works very well. Great ring amount, shortcut, and easily distinguishable bases. My only complaint, is the 2 infinity rings stacked on top of eachother.

MAP18 - Castle Canyon Zone by Mystic - 10/10
Win. Total win. Replace Duel Fortresses with this, now!
You made it large enough to enjoy exploration in, yet kept it mildly linear, to keep you on track. I can really see this course fairing very well in a large-scale mysticserv, or any other server at that.

Overall points: The match entries were sub-average, but I should expect as much, compared to past contests. The CTF entries, on the other hand, were a pleasant surprise.

Seriously, there needs to be a limit of how many maps you can submit. This contest's levels were ruined by a lot of Glaber's levels. Half of them didn't work, and they just plain sucked. CTF was the worst, do to bad flag placement and undeafed Rings.

I remember beta testing Mystic's CTF level, and I can't believe all the changes he made. I'm pretty sure he saw me waiting on the roof of the castles that he removed the 4096 ceilings. I'm glad it turned from a huge open-spaced level into an actual SRB2 level.

I'll start voting some other day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back