How do I set up netgames using..........

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bigboi

A cable modem? I don't know if I port forward or whatever. Someone help!

I have a related question.

my ISP has switched to having an automatically configured IP, so now I don't know my IP address. what's an easy way to find out what my IP is?

whatismyip.com, Geona. SS119, I don't have a router, I have a RCA Digital Broadband Cable Modem.

You probably have a firewall, Bigboi. Go into Control Panel then Network Connections and have a look around. If you see something that reads "Enabled, Firewalled" simply right-click it and choose "Properties", then go to "Advanced" (I think that's it) then uncheck the box.

Actually, I think that only works for Windows XP but you could still give it a try.

Some antivirus have a list of programs that can access to internet and programs that not. You also need to set this.

First, install ZoneAlarm, then load it up, go to the control pannel, click on Firewall when change Internet Zone Secuity setting to low.

Completely disabling your firewall's a pretty stupid way of dealing with things, though. Certainly you could just open up the ports that are needed for netgaming, so you can do so WITHOUT putting your computer at very, very high risk?

When I had Zonealarm, I had no problem with turning it off, I mean.. it was just for games and it's not like everyone is out to get ME.

Shuffle said:
When I had Zonealarm, I had no problem with turning it off, I mean.. it was just for games and it's not like everyone is out to get ME.
Oh, they are alright. They'll prey on any idiot that decides that he doesn't need a firewall, and they're good enough at it that you wouldn't notice a thing.

That firewall is a LOT more valuable than you might think. NOTHING should warrant you taking the whole thing down for prolonged periods of time.

Completely disabling your firewall's a pretty stupid way of dealing with things, though. Certainly you could just open up the ports that are needed for netgaming, so you can do so WITHOUT putting your computer at very, very high risk?

Well, the easiest way is to get everyone to join the netgame first then disable the Firewall and once everyone has joined you re-enable it. That's what I do and I don't get any problems. o_O

I don't use firewall or antivirus. Nobody can haxxor your PC unless you let them do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back