Why is Submissions private now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fawfulfan

The Tortured Planet guy
It seems to me that making Submissions private is just a case of the administrators pointlessly exercising their power. I really don't see the harm of people looking at submissions before they're approved.

I know that we'll still get to download a submitted WAD if it's approved, but I've always enjoyed seeing the WAD myself beforehand.

It is not an exercise in power. To have them publicly viewable before approval would defeat the entire point of having the system. The idea is to cut off really terrible work before people can get at them and have them everywhere. If people are downloading it before approval, exactly how do you expect that to work?

Just think of it as a good thing. At least you know the wads you can get from the addon system won't break your game or give you sore eyes.

Doesn't seem to help much though. I still find servers that will use some random wad I've never heard of. I also remember someone having "1" added to their server. No .wad or .soc just 1.

Doesn't seem to help much though. I still find servers that will use some random wad I've never heard of. I also remember someone having "1" added to their server. No .wad or .soc just 1.

Yeah, I saw that too. They are legitimate WADs, they've just been renamed to numbers.

Last edited:
I Agree with Rob! The releases - Submissions sector its private because of bad wads that can appear there, and if people download it, that wad will be scrambled by the netgames. I Also have strange wads.

Example: Amy with strange colors, Metal Sonic with strane colors, etc.

So for a short answer: Releases - Submissions must be Private.

This?

I found this server some days ago, too.
These are just some 2.0x characters for ease access. In others words, the one who made this(Samus Aran) did it for be lazy and for not do something like addfile senku.wad or hinote.wad(and she made an autoexec that add them automaticly).

Actually downloading the WAD files revealed them to be really bad recolours of other people's work...

An idea:

Create a "Submission trial" sub forum (private). Then:

1) We can post our material freely in Submissions forum, without problems with a board that becomes private.

2) Judges move our submissions to "Submission trial" sub forum and discussions among Judges can run privately, if material is good, they move it to Releases boards, if not: trashed.

But the problem with THAT means that we have to be constantly watching the submissions forum and automoving every thread that enters. Not only that, but submission judging hardly takes any time at all (unless the submission is borderline and conflicting opinions are had) and it would quite simply be a wasted effort.
See, the system now is the exact same as it was on PHPBB2. And it's only because we moved that you guys could see it for a while.

Actually, we couldn't allow users to allow view their own threads on phpbb2, now we can.

Basically, having submissions readable defeats the object, and it's staying the way it is now, end of, no complaining, no questions asked.

Woudn't it be better if only judges could download wads but users could still see the threads?

Don't start to whine how you can see pre-released content anymore.

As Cue and the other said " It really defeats the propose of have the release part."

If the maker wants the community to see his wad he will put it in #SRB2fun or ask for beta-testers or youtube.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back