5 years of voting data compressed into graphs

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd also like to remind you all that by definition, the average score for the contest should be exactly 5. The contests aren't getting worse; there are more voters and they are becoming better critics.

For everyone's reference, Egg Palace has inflated scores because at the time it was one of the largest and most detailed SRB2 stages made. Obviously nowadays we know better, but most people gave it rather significantly high numbers because of that, myself included. In hindsight it's certainly not a 10, but at the time the concept of a single player stage you couldn't beat in a minute or two was a big deal.

You know, I'd say that pretty much sums it up. I was being a little harsh on it above...Egg Palace certainly isn't bad. I just agree with SpiritCrusher (and you, come to think of it) that in retrospect it isn't worth a 10.

It makes me wish that I'd done Tortured Planet back in 2007 or 2008, back when people didn't know better. Probably it would have been almost as popular as Mystic Realm. But then again, Tortured Planet utilizes a lot of gimmicks that didn't exist in 1.08 or 1.09X...and it's still not even close to being as good as Mystic Realm. Besides all that, I didn't even discover SRB2 until mid-2008, and I took about 2 years to get somewhat competent at level design.

So...yeah.

Last edited:
For everyone's reference, Egg Palace has inflated scores because at the time it was one of the largest and most detailed SRB2 stages made. Obviously nowadays we know better, but most people gave it rather significantly high numbers because of that, myself included. In hindsight it's certainly not a 10, but at the time the concept of a single player stage you couldn't beat in a minute or two was a big deal.
That is exactly what I meant to say. Egg Palace was an innovation for its time, but it's not really worth 10/10, just like Tree Ring.

Yeah, just you. I really hated tree ring zone. The combat in that map just seemed like a frantic spamming of the jump and fire buttons inside the center of the map, spindashing occasionally into the waterfall to get the powerup that would spawn while others would just wander the outside for a long time until they found someone to shoot, or until they got bored and just went into the center.

Yeah, Ice has my basic opinion of the level as well. The territory outside the center of the map did not have enough incentive to be used, because the only useful powerup was in the dead center. This was made even worse by the fact that the weapon in the stage was automatic, which encouraged this kind of behavior. This made the entire game end up as a spamfest at the center, with nobody even using all that pretty scenery and extra territory the stage was so well received for. Tree Ring received a perfect score not for the way the stage played, but because it was visually impressive and large. This was novel back when that stage was made. In hindsight it was terribly balanced and had terrible flow that would have been more obvious if anyone ever bothered to use anything but the central area.

I completely agree...Tree Ring Zone is one 1.09.4-era map that I don't miss at all. I thought it had excessive vertical variation in the outer areas, drew too many players to the center, and allowed whoever got the Automatic Ring to dominate. There is honestly no part of the level design of TRZ that I enjoy...there's just something about it that makes the battles awful.

I can see a weak correlation in these graphs.

Apparently:
On average, the users are decreasing their vote score by 0.044 points every month.
However, the number of entries into the contest is rising by 0.12 entries.
There's next to no correlation between the number of entries and the average score, but its still decreasing.

This means, either the voters are getting more strict, or there's too much junk in the contest nowadays.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back