Connections between my GNU/Linux build and official Windows build falling out of sync

Status
Not open for further replies.

onpon4

Sharing is good.
So, I compiled version 2.1.8 of the source code (from here) on my 64-bit GNU/Linux system and extracted the data files from the installer exe into /usr/local/share/games/SRB2, and it seems to run perfectly. But I don't seem to be able to play network games with my brother, who is using the official Windows build (2.1.7 + patch). He is able to connect to my server for a couple seconds, but then it disconnects, and I get a message saying there was a synchronization error.

I also tried connecting with another server just to make sure the problem's on my end, and indeed, I disconnected after a couple seconds.

The only thing I could think to try was to apply the 2.1.8 patch to the data files, and putting the new DLL in with my data files didn't fix the problem. My brother falled out of sync just the same.

Is there something else I need to do to be able to connect to people using the official Windows build?

You can connect to people who are using the windows build, SRB2 has cross compatibility problems with the architecture. So you would need to install the 32-bit dependencies and use the 32-bit build of SRB2

Ah, OK. That's kind of odd, but it shouldn't be too much of a hassle. Thanks for the clarification.

EDIT: Well, I have the 32-bit libraries, but when I try to compile it as 32-bit, I get several repeats of this message:

Code:
cc1: error: CPU you selected does not support x86-64 instruction set
Followed by:

Code:
make: [pre-build] Error 1 (ignored)
sdl/i_main.c:1:0: error: CPU you selected does not support x86-64 instruction set
sdl/i_main.c:1:0: error: CPU you selected does not support x86-64 instruction set
make: *** [../objs/Linux/SDL/Release/i_main.o] Error 1
make: Leaving directory `/home/julian/SRB2-SRB2_release_2.1.8/src'
Is there something more to this than just having the 32-bit versions of the libraries installed (like an option that needs to be sent to GCC)? I don't think I've ever had to compile a 32-bit program on a 64-bit system before.

Last edited:
It may be easier to setup a 32-bit chroot to compile SRB2 then setup a native x86 compiler toolchain setup, depending on your disto

Alright, thanks for the input. If all else fails, I guess I can always fall back on installing a 32-bit GNU/Linux system on a virtual machine or something. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back