Best Sprite Editor?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's the best program to create sprites with?

I don't even know why I thought using Windows 7 Paint was a good idea...
Actually almost every one that sprites uses paint including me, sometimes I'll use gimp but mostly paint so you're good with what you have. Example:
96x184x75x0.jpg

Last edited:
Only problem I have with paint is that I can't get my sprites transparent. Is there a way for that, or do I change the white background to cyan?

XWE automatically changes any cyan in a sprite to transparent, Slade lets you pick which color in the sprite gets converted to transparency when converting to DooM format, or if importing a png, can simply retain any actual transparent pixels present.

While people will swear on MS Paint, I've herd W7 paint is pretty abysmal. I use Paint.net, and it's similar enough to the old MS Paint that you'll get the hang of it, but benefits from layers.

GraphicsGale is the only good sprite art program. People will recommend others but they're all terrible.
Enjoy.

Graphics Gale is a nice, easy to use tool.

Photoshop works really well too if you configure it right. (draw lines with pencil, turn off anti-aliasing and tolerance on all tools)

I personally would use either one of those. Paint's lack of layers really bothers me.

GraphicsGale is the only good sprite art program. People will recommend others but they're all terrible.
Enjoy.

Man, I wish I knew about this program earlier. I just happened to download it not too long ago and tried it out, it's definitely an amazing program. Kudos to you for suggesting this. I never knew about this program.

But back to this topic, there are a lot of programs anyone could use to edit sprites. It all comes down to the person's preferences and you basically have to try out different programs and figure out what's best for you.

Although, it seems you're used to the XP MS Paint. You could simply download that anywhere on google I bet. Typical programs I use for editing sprites are MS Paint and Photoshop CS5.

Welp. Edited some sprites for a WAD. Now this happened.
I made it so that the sprites are the same size as a regular one. It's now twice as small. The blue pixels used for shading is also gone. The monitor and signposts are fine.

srb20010.png

Either you made the sprites to small, or you have highres on.
As for the blue sprites missing, they may just not fit the pallet.

Fixed the size. I'm guessing the color issue is something with stand and endcolor. It tells me it's unknown.

startcolor = 217
endcolor = 233
prefcolor = 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back