SRB2 Message Board  

Go Back   SRB2 Message Board > SRB2.org > News

Old 04-05-2013   #81
glaber
Emblem Radar Ready

at the risk of angering Mystic again, I have to say don't just discount the 100 emblem. I mean seriously. More people can figure out what the score emblem is from 100 than some random symbol they never saw before.

Or just do what Sega did and just use 1 standard emblem design all across the board.

How much of a problem was emblem design for Sonic Adventure, Sonic Adventure 2, or even Sonic Heroes? Each game had one set design for all unlocking events, and they had find the chao, collect the crabs, collect 100 rings, finish the stage, hard mode, don't hit the wall, don't hit the other cars, get a fish of a certain weight, finish the stage with more than a certain amount of time left, etc (I can't remember all the Heroes ones) And all of those different events used the same emblem design. so maybe, instead of changing the emblems, you make them all one design and color (like in 1.09.4) and instead, label the columns they're in?
Old 04-05-2013   #82
Unknownlight

Quote:
Originally Posted by glaber View Post
so maybe, instead of changing the emblems, you make them all one design and color (like in 1.09.4) and instead, label the columns they're in?
This is why they want to have distinct-looking emblems.
Unknownlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013   #83
Mystic
チェン!
Administrator

The problem with that is more that there are five emblems on the map, which are all collectable as every character. They're all colored differently in order to help differentiate them, but you'll notice AJ's comment earlier about not using only color as a difference between things, something that we actually have been trying to do globally. Hence, giving every emblem a different icon (yes, the lack of a different icon for NiGHTS grade is still just a placeholder; every emblem type will have its own icon to make it clear)

There are a bunch of advantages to this, but the easiest example is the situation where you're stuck finding one of the emblems in the stage. Instead of having no easy way to describe which one you're missing, you can say "the blue one" or "the star". Since they're both colors and shapes, a player could be colorblind and still easily differentiate the emblems, and this makes discussion of the location easy ("oh, the blue one is over here")
Mystic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013   #84
glaber
Emblem Radar Ready

Then how about I show you sega's solution to the emblems?
SADX: http://steamcommunity.com/id/surogun...view=imagewall
SA2B: http://steamcommunity.com/id/surogun...view=imagewall (includes 3 unreleated screenshots to the matter)
Sonic Heroes: http://steamcommunity.com/id/surogun...view=imagewall

Also, in regards to "hidden in stage Emblems" make them all the same thing, like a red Star ring as seen in Generations and Colors. Both Generations and Colors don't even bother with telling you where to look and yet, it's not all that big a problem.
Old 04-05-2013   #85
Fred
Retired

God dammit I hate every single person in this thread.

Now go back to faffing around while Nev3r does actually cool stuff.
Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013   #86
Rob
Administrator

Games after S3&K really aren't a big influence on design.

The only problem we've got right now is the design on the score emblem. Everything else is fine in how it works and functions. It just happens to be that score is hard to make an adequate symbol for. We're working on that.

So, unless you have a solid suggestion on what graphic we could use that hasn't been mentioned before, I think you should all look at the other screenshots and give us your feedback and impressions on those, because way too much attention has been given to the icon.
Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013   #87
Mystic
チェン!
Administrator

Well, thanks to Neo we clearly have a fallback choice in case we can't come up with something better, because I really love that enemy icon, even if I can't figure out what most of the rest of them are supposed to represent =P
Mystic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013   #88
TSDude
Lack of tea

What is the spades emblem and the hearts emblem meant to represent?
Old 04-05-2013   #89
Violo
Resisting Pony Avatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSDude View Post
What is the spades emblem and the hearts emblem meant to represent?
They represent two of the five emblems you can find in each level with any character.

Edit: Oh yeah and to be honest, I think the picture of the 'enemy' (didn't even know that was what it represented...) makes even LESS sense than the '100'. The fact I had no idea what it meant may be a problem, but it really depends on how everyone else thinks it is.

Last edited by Violo; 04-05-2013 at 11:31 AM.
Violo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013   #90
TSDude
Lack of tea

I don't get it, why not show a character's icon for each emblem that belongs to that player.
Old 04-05-2013   #91
Iceman404
Tyler52 Forever

Because, as it's been stated NUMEROUS TIMES, ANY CHARACTER CAN GET ANY GOD DAMN EMBLEM IN 2.1.
By the way, Neo's got the solution. You should totally consider ALL of his changes, not just the score graphics. Everything is much more clear as to what its supposed to be. I would've fit an enemy there too but everyone said it wouldn't fit in the small space. :V

Last edited by Iceman404; 04-05-2013 at 12:22 PM.
Iceman404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013   #92
K.S.
Formerly Inuyasha
Retired Staff

God you guys. Can we drop the emblem shit already? You realize there's 6 other screenshots worth of stuff nobody's talked about right?
K.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013   #93
D00D64
A "rather brash" indivisual

What's with the inconsistency of where the ring and time emblems are? Shouldn't time always be on the right and ring in the middle if time is so often going to be the only emblem in a stage?
Quote:
<SpiritCrusher> But I wouldn't say "dead Jew child" is incorrect
<SpiritCrusher> Nobody would doubt that it's a dead Jew child
D00D64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013   #94
K.S.
Formerly Inuyasha
Retired Staff

If you look back, you'll notice that's how it was before, but:
Quote:
[03:54] <@Mystic> and for the last three, I think the suggestion of having it ordered as it is on the HUD is a good idea (Score, Time, Rings)
[03:54] <@Mystic> This does keep time from lining up all along the right side, but that's probably a good thing anyways
K.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013   #95
TSDude
Lack of tea

Default Is this a rank?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 犬夜叉
God you guys. Can we drop the emblem shit already? You realize there's 6 other screenshots worth of stuff nobody's talked about right?
Sorry, anyway I want to ask you if this is an rank, that big B image above the level header.

Last edited by TSDude; 04-06-2013 at 02:35 PM.
TSDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013   #96
Iceman404
Tyler52 Forever

Just nitpicking, but having it in the order of the HUD is such a small thing that won't click in anyone's heads until much later. I preferred when it looked the cleanest, and quickest to look at, with time on all of the rightmost side. It's a consistency thing as well, but oh well.

In any case, if we must discuss something else, the electric shield looks MIGHTY similar to something I've seen in Sonic Advance before, but maybe its just me. :V

Edit: Oh and "EMBLEM HINTS". Are those going to be riddles or something similar?

Last edited by Iceman404; 04-05-2013 at 03:04 PM.
Iceman404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013   #97
AquariusXXL
The horse is on fire!!

Yes, thats even good
Old 04-05-2013   #98
Aegix
Generally Friendly

:P I find the new force shield looks the coolest. I like the hexagon design. It does make it look more armored than a simple sphere.

I honestly can't wait for this update to hit.
Aegix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013   #99
LightspeedX
aka PrismaticAngel

The new electric shield is really cool. It reminds me of those electric orbs you can touch which causes the electricity to go the point where your hand is.
<toaster> i love you lightspeed
LightspeedX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013   #100
wizeman
u have my permission to die

Personally, I like the new richer colors for the emeralds in the 3rd screenshot.

Last edited by wizeman; 04-05-2013 at 04:37 PM.
wizeman is offline   Reply With Quote