Using lvlconv.exe to convert 1.09.4 levels to v2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
One thing I dislike about this is that, when multiple levels are in a WAD file, the first one (in numerical order) comes out just fine, while the rest end up with a bunch of messed up effects everywhere.

You need to specify the map number for it to work.

Like,

lvlconv mywad.wad 01

typing in just lvlconv mywad.wad won't work right

No, if you know how to program it would absolutely be easier to edit the source to automate the process, especially if you have a lot of files to convert. I really don't have a clue why you have such an interest in manually converting things when the whole point of having a computer is to automate tedious processes like that.

Lvlconv converted 90% of my maps. 10% I did obviously manually once I knew every object. I had problem only with slides, 1 quicksand texture and non-normal skill things.

Why should I do 100% manually if I can "order" a program to make 90% of dirty work for me?

No, if you know how to program it would absolutely be easier to edit the source to automate the process, especially if you have a lot of files to convert. I really don't have a clue why you have such an interest in manually converting things when the whole point of having a computer is to automate tedious processes like that.

If he knows how then that's fine. It just didn't sound like he did to me.

You may not understand why I manually convert levels, but I've been finding things I can do the Converter can't do. EX: the old Red Volcano entry method.

I've also been picking up some of the old level building tricks that were used in the older versions of levels, including yours, as well as discovered how to fix a few things like Red Volcano's Missing sound. I like looking at, and attempting to recreate the behind the scenes stuff of the levels and badniks.

Now if you prefer the converter continue useing it. I just prefer manual since converting the Halloween Tech demo and SRB2 Christmas to the 1.09.4 engine back in 2006.

I use a combination of 2 instances of SRB2 Doom Builder (one with the level open using the 1.09.4 config and the other open using the 2.0 config) and in the case of even older levels (Demo 4 and lower) Running the game to figure out how the things worked.

For the Main config, I use eithe SRB2 Doom Builder or XWE.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back