v2.0 Match/CTF Preview (Updated July 1st, 2009)

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's probably too late for this, but I actually disagree that we should do away with timed weapon rings entirely. There should be an option to have timed vs. collected ammunition.

This is awsome.
Im glad to see that improvements have been made to balance the characters, this will make the game more interesting, seeing as sonic isnt overpowered compared to the others.

The new weapon system will bring more strategy to match,
I see tons of match servers in the future...lol

I cant wait.

I disagree with Mystics "2 minutes till all emeralds spawn!"

What if you want to play a quick match? Shouldn't it be based on time? :/

I'm sure the emerald spawning time is adjustable. It makes me curious, however, if the emerald spawning time is different from other thing types.

Autosaver said:
I disagree with Mystics "2 minutes till all emeralds spawn!"

What if you want to play a quick match? Shouldn't it be based on time? :/

glaber said:
Would they even spawn intime for a 5 minuit match?
1.1's match system lends itself better to longer games. The emeralds would spawn in 2 minutes or so, but generally there isn't enough time for someone to go super in a 5 minute match because it takes a while to collect all 7 emeralds. Generally we've been playing with longer and longer rounds in development, and the longer the rounds go, the more likely someone will go super. I suspect by the time of release, the default round time limit will be something like 10-15 minutes. It'll take a lot more testing for us to determine what works best in terms of round limits, though.

The emeralds spawn in a staggered manner like that more to prevent them all from spawning in one area and one player just having a field day and collecting all seven from the ground. By staggering the spawns, they're picked up one at a time so everyone has a chance to start fighting over the emeralds before all seven have even spawned.

Blue Warrior said:
I'm sure the emerald spawning time is adjustable. It makes me curious, however, if the emerald spawning time is different from other thing types.
It is not currently adjustable. It may end up adjustable later, but right now it seems to play fine as-is and not need a slider.

Looking at the pictures, I can tell that the 1.1 version is going to have some good twist in it. How large do you think this will be?

If adjustable, I'm bringing back Voiced Concern. Actually, I'll bring it back anyway as my guinipig for ME matchmode map making

If the emerald timer is adjustable, I'd like to see a 0 to set them off, for a more nostalgic 1.09ish feel.

That would be similar to the emeraldstart.wad, where hundreds of servers have that wad added so they can play as Super Sonic right off the bat. It breaks Single Player, but in Match, it's completely unfair. I suggest we don't make the timer adjustable.

JetTheHawk said:
If the emerald timer is adjustable, I'd like to see a 0 to set them off, for a more nostalgic 1.09ish feel.
This will definitely not happen, as it completely ruins the balance of the new system. If they all spawned from the start, due to the nature of random numbers, it would be possible for a single player to spawn next to all of them, and immediately grab them all and 50 rings before the rest of the game even had a chance to stop him.

Any sort of adjustable mechanism we'd add won't include an option to go to "instant" spawn, it would simply change the speed of the process. In all likelihood we're not going to include such an option at all.

Blue Warrior said:
Ten bucks say at least one of those textures are from Marble Zone.

Actually, Marble Zone never came to mind. All of them were designed for SRB2 and their source of inspiration was ironically not even a Sonic game. Furthermore, the use of the purple was largely purposed to take advantage of an underutilized range of textures.

EDIT: Also, I believe Jet-the-Hawk was talking about a way to disable emeralds entirely. And I'm pretty sure that the option is there, albeit separate from any kind of timer.

Er, I think JetTheawk meant something along the lines of "turn those stupid emerald items off for this match"

edit: I've been ninja'd

Oh yeah, there is an option to turn them off, but that's separate from the respawn timer. The emeralds have an on/off switch like the weapon rings do.

Mystic said:
Oh yeah, there is an option to turn them off, but that's separate from the respawn timer. The emeralds have an on/off switch like the weapon rings do.
Yes, that's the answer I was fishing for. Thanks.

Mystic said:
In the event you do decide to add adjustable respawn rates, you could just go for vagueness in the manner of "fast","normal","slow" and any points in between or further extremes.

Kitsune said:
If someone plays as a yellow Tails or Knuckles, won't you think they're Super?

*stifles laughter*

I really doubt it. They've probably mede them a distinguishable shade. Or they'll have a trail of stars somewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Back