Forum Rules - Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ash said:
Sonict said:
Please stop with the macros, guys. I have had it with them. They don't help out the topic in any way other then creating spam. Please either post something intelligent and to the point without the pictures or don't post at all. That is all.

Ban internet memes via image then. There seems to be such a huge issue with them; I've seen sooo many complaints by various individuals. I'd think it'd be more productive to ban internet memes altogether, but that might be taking it a bit too far, eh?

It would. If the picture that was posted was also backed up with words, then that would be fine. That is why I stepped in since it was starting to look like spam.

After taking a break for real life, I don't really feel like posting any pics again. One word speaks a thousand pictures, if you think about it.

on Edge said:
After taking a break for real life, I don't really feel like posting any pics again. One word speaks a thousand pictures, if you think about it.

I thought it was the other way around On_Edge. I still see people include stuff like "LOL, ROFL, O.O, etc." in topics, isn't that against the rules as well?

Why were all of the features removed? If we abuse polls and smileys, we're gonna otherwise just spam with stupid images or links. Then those will get banned too. You can't solve a forum's problem just by disabling it. "Uh-oh, I don't like these new noob joiners. DISABLED"

I had an idea; what about accounts require manual activation by the adminz, and they need to send a letter to the admin "proving that they're not a robot." That would be what it says on the registration page, but the letter is really to check for good grammar and stuff.

I hate those kinds of forums. That would have turned off Mystic if he was about to join a MB and it had that. Also, AJ's Mod of the registration page works well already.

By my own experience, you never get to register in those boards. Normally admins don't pay attention to the registration e-mails and you never get in. And I don't think the admins here will do it, specially considering how busy they are already :P

I would sooner just disable registration entirely than force the user to jump through stupid hoops to get an account. Mailing the administrator is a tedious waste of time for everyone involved.

Sonict said:
Also, AJ's Mod of the registration page works well already.

Kaysakado said:
That would be what it says on the registration page, but the letter is really to check for good grammar and stuff.

As for Sik, the Cheat Engine's forums do it, I got activated the day after I joined, and they have, like, over 9000 users, so yeah. Also, we get, what, 5 or 6 new users a day? Not that much.

And finally, as for Mystic, my original idea was to disable registration, but I think the new one is better, as it just weeds out n00bs. Also, how is it tedius? Like I said, 5 or 6 new users a day.

I said most forums, not them all. Anyways, imagine if SSNTails had to enable your account (yes, I know there are other admins, but you get the idea). How long do you think it would take?

What if the bot has a bug in it? Not to mention that stupid hoops for registration annoys perfectly intelligent users who frequently will just say "screw it" and not register.

It is seriously best to just use the system of banning morons as they come. While I agree we're overwhelmed, making registration hard is kicking ourselves in the foot.

I agree. It won't stop the noobs from coming. It could also stop some members that could actually become decent as well.

Kicking yourself in the foot is not physically possible. =/

In any case, then at least go with the suggestion from a while back about if you get banned within your first ten posts, it's a permban?

Umm... No. That is really stupid and harsh. Our current system works fine as long as people don't reply to the noobs who have broken rules and such.

Kaysakado said:
Anyways, maybe they could use a bot. Check for upper case letters, capiralized I, punctuation and what-not.
The current registration system would finish up doing exactly the same thing as that, just in a less cumbersome way. Bots aren't smart enough to determine if somebody is a n00b or isn't.

"Hedgehog" "Fox" "Echidna" "Kitsune" "Shadow" "Sonic" "Shadonic" and "Wolf" shouldn't be allowed in future registered names. People get so sick of the same thing. On 72, there's about 7 Yoshi people and no-one knew who was who.

Chaos said:
"Hedgehog" "Fox" "Echidna" "Kitsune" "Shadow" "Sonic" "Shadonic" and "Wolf" shouldn't be allowed in future registered names. People get so sick of the same thing. On 72, there's about 7 Yoshi people and no-one knew who was who.

I agree

You could as well force people to use their real name. C'mon, seriously, it's true that it generates confusion but that kills most nicknames. Maybe you shouldn't ignore all of those list. I registered as "Sik" because I'm lazy to write 16 characters every time I need to enter :P but otherwise I would be "Sik the hedgehog". And according to the list above, my nick should be banned. I guess that only banning those that are names is enough (Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, etc.).

Sik said:
You could as well force people to use their real name.

Good idea. I like it! Maybe we should be required to input our real name, and then have the option of using a nickname after registration? I'd like to be able to use both... some forums have them in profiles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back