Resource icon

[MP Level] Avant Garden Zone - v1.1 (Race)

Chengi

I like your attitude!
Kart Krew™️
This map does not cooperate well with software rendering. It is, however, still playable if you don't mind a slightly lower framerate in certain areas.

attachment.php

Oh boy, it's my first map in like, five years.

god this took forever and my entire body hurts as a result

attachment.php

Here it is, a map based upon a level from an old (but not that old) fangame of mine, Petit Hedgehog - Avant Garden Zone! Taking after the original level, this zone is loosely based off of a mixture of Sky Sanctuary and Marble Garden from S3K, while drawing visual inspiration from NiGHTS into Dreams!

All of the original graphics were done by me, save for the minor edits of the regular textures included in Kart.​

Attachments

• kart0924.jpg
    kart0924.jpg
    178.5 KB · Views: 4,796
  • KRL_AvantGarden_v1.1.zip
    2 MB · Views: 1,072
  • kart0306.gif
    kart0306.gif
    5.7 MB · Views: 498
  • kart0307.gif
    kart0307.gif
    1,013.2 KB · Views: 4,362
  • kart0309.gif
    kart0309.gif
    3.3 MB · Views: 380
Welcome to releases! Though, its a real shame about Software, as that's what most of our users run...

Such a gorgeous map! My poor potato suffered badly. Congrats on release!!

I should clarify that this is not going to stay as a map intended to be played in OpenGL exclusively. I'm currently working through segmenting the beginning area sectors so that there's more closed spaces and re-optimizing the structure of the entire map.

This is, as it stands right now, a release intended just to let people play it without having to wait for me to make it software-ready.

Regardless, I'm terribly sorry about the optimization issues occuring in the first place. The map -- and people who've downloaded it deserve better than what it is in its current state. I appreciate everyone's comments and critique and I'll be working towards improving the map very soon.

Perhaps someone's mentioned this to you on Discord already, but you don't need to use Lua to define your custom flower. The game has a native system for adding custom objects named SOC, which functionally operates almost identically to Lua for object definitions. This will remove the need for the game to initialize the Lua interface and may boost performance ever-so-slightly.

NiGHTS objects have not been the most optimized, especially the hoops. So having a lot of them can cause performance problems in software. It was kind of the reason why NiGHTS special stages in vanilla SRB2 had a separate view distance. I dunno if theres a way to optimize those objects for better performance since I never learned any coding.

Best of luck finding a way, this map is really fun to play on!

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back