• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

Ultimate's SRB2 Music: Green Flower Act 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ultimate

a scar in time...
UPDATE:

Green Flower Act 1 Remake Pack
This pack includes loopable mp3s and oggs of both the digital version and the MIDI synth version.

------------------------------------------------------------
So, I'm still really bad at digital music, especially mixing and mastering, but hopefully the arrangement is worth listening to. I tried my hand at remaking the Green Flower Act 1 Zone soundtrack! I always thought that GFZ Act 1 was a bit too slow, and didn't give me much of a Sonic vibe. I listened to it once, then tried my hand at recreating a version that hopefully sounds a little more like 'Sonic'.

Anyways, enjoy, and please give me any feedback you have!

Green Flower Zone Act 1 Soundtrack Remake

Last edited:
Please, please, yes, yes, more, more, pls.

Excitement aside, this is really great for a remake, it feels like a Sonic level. The only problem I have is not with the music, but the zone itself. Greenflower is First level 101 of Sonic, and an exciting theme like that meshed with 2.1's GFZ, well it's a complete 180 from the Zone's overall feel, which is simple and relaxed. Though if a music pack is made out of this magic, this is the first thing I'm adding to SRB2 2.2 to really see how well it meshes with GFZ's remake.

I sorta get a retro vibe from this. It's so beautiful. I'd really love having a music pack like this made.

Whoa! This remix/re-imagined GFZ1 is awesome! Please make more of these! You could make a music wad with this! (It would be nice for some original/re-imagined songs for the multiplayer levels...)

I really love the composition here, it smacks of Sonic Advance 3. Any chance of releasing a MIDI, or trying to match the composition to the original instruments?

Almost immediately left the thread without listening to anything because you denigrated your own work, only reason I didn't is because everyone else was so positive. Don't do that.

Also I really like it.

Thanks for all the comments guys! I'm glad overall most people seem to like it. There's still a few touchups left that I want to do before I call this track finalized. I might try redoing some other tracks, but GFZ was really the only track that I found a bit lacking in the OST...but I might try giving Deep Sea Zone a bit of a pep talk...

I really love the composition here, it smacks of Sonic Advance 3. Any chance of releasing a MIDI, or trying to match the composition to the original instruments?

I'm glad you like it! I haven't actually played Sonic Advance 3...but now I'm really curious. I'll listen to a few tracks and see if there's any pointers I can get from them. Regarding the MIDI and swapping the instruments, I definitely wouldn't mind doing either of those, but I'd have to obtain the original instruments somehow...would SSNTails be the person to talk to for that? I might end up changing the main melody's instrument because for me, that was one of the biggest factors contributing to the 'not-so-sonic-ee' feel.

Last edited:
Its soundfont is from a different synth technically, but it's the closest sound available online that I'm aware of. All you need is a touch of reverb and it'd be almost indistinguishable.

Also, that's the exact same sound I used for my MIDI exports before switching over to Propellorhead Reason:
example
example 2

I still use a lot of its percussion for my SRB2 remasters.

Awesome! Thank you very much Kat and Blue! I'll get to work on the midi version soon.

Also...those examples sound amazing, Blue. As always! I was actually inspired to try and improve my mixing and mastering because of your tracks that I've listened to...that Kirby one popped into my head first. Still have a long ways to go...but I think I've improved quite a bit with this last one!

Last edited:
Its soundfont is from a different synth technically, but it's the closest sound available online that I'm aware of...Also, that's the exact same sound I used for my MIDI exports before switching over to Propellorhead Reason

Hm...double posting, but I need help! So, I've used the Yamaha soundfont and replaced all the sounds with the .sf2 and found suitable instruments in FL Studio, but when exported, all the instruments sound like piano. I've been googling this for a bit, and found that I would have to convert the .sf2 file to .dls, then create a truly exportable MIDI file in FL Studio using Fruity LSD.

Is this really the only way to do this in FL? Or am I just missing something very obvious here...

Unfortunately, I have no experience with Fruity Loops, so I can't help you there. The last time I messed with the soundfont was when I was using Steinberg Cubasis for midi composition, and that was ages ago on archaic software.

Here is a version using the Yamaha Synth soundfont that is a bit closer to SRB2's sound! Thank you to Prime, CobaltBW, Monster Iestyn, and Katwover for the help!

Green Flower Act 1 Remake (Yamaha Synth Version)

I know that this version isn't quite the original instrument set, so here's the actual MIDI file in case you want to mess around with the instruments *NOTE: The MIDI file is not for listening*. I used quite a few automations on the volumes of different channels, so if you want the balance to end up correctly, you'll have to mess around with those a little bit. Enjoy!

Last edited:
This is still pretty good! While I personally like the digital version so much better, I'm just waiting for the tracks to be loop-friendly. You know, the part where the song is supposed to end so it can be looped for SRB2/Winamp/Audacity/anything that can loop music.

This is still pretty good! While I personally like the digital version so much better, I'm just waiting for the tracks to be loop-friendly. You know, the part where the song is supposed to end so it can be looped for SRB2/Winamp/Audacity/anything that can loop music.

Wow. Thank you. This whole time, I thought it WAS loopable. I was thinking users could just select a certain point at which the song would loop in game, but after reading your comment, I then realized, "Why make people go through that extra effort?" Then I tried cutting off that end part and realized that it was in fact still not loopable, as some sounds from the end were not present at the start...thank you for mentioning this, haha.

Updated the Soundcloud file, so here's a loopable mp3 of the Yamaha synth version of the song, I'll see if I can get the digital version loopable sometime tomorrow! Gotta go fast to bed now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back