Sonic Mania

Status
Not open for further replies.
To anyone who has heard of Segasonic, You may want to buckle up; the following spoiler is 100% Legit and has been confirmed.

Well Holy Shit, I never thought I'd see the day.

Pleased to hear about this; one of my lamentations on Sonic Mania was that there weren't any new playable characters to add twists to the gameplay (discounting the dropdash, which definitely added a lot of dimension to Sonic's gameplay), and it's great to see the original trio being used to fulfill this purpose. The two always seemed woefully underutilized, even if they are just P2&P3 reskins of Sonic by design.

I'm sure we'll see some unique abilities attached to their personalities, like some physics-altering double jump for Ray or Mighty's wall jump.... Or perhaps Mighty will receive the shield-storing ability he had in the romhack Sonic 1 Megamix? Plenty of interesting things the dev could do with both of these characters.

Last edited:
Pleased to hear about this; one of my lamentations on Sonic Mania was that there weren't any new playable characters to add twists to the gameplay (discounting the dropdash, which definitely added a lot of dimension to Sonic's gameplay), and it's great to see the original trio being used to fulfill this purpose. The two always seemed woefully underutilized, even if they are just P2&P3 reskins of Sonic by design.

I'm sure we'll see some unique abilities attached to their personalities, like some physics-altering double jump for Ray or Mighty's wall jump.... Or perhaps Mighty will receive the shield-storing ability he had in the romhack Sonic 1 Megamix? Plenty of interesting things the dev could do with both of these characters.

Yeah I felt the same. As great as having the Classic trio utilize and exploit their potential, it's great to have lesser known Characters finally being utilised in a way in which not only adds extra spark to them; but finally make use of bringing out their full potential as characters in terms of abilities and personalities as you state.

I'm hoping Mighty's shield-storing ability from Sonic Megamix gets implemented as part of his abilities. That would make speedrunning incredibly interesting as to how you utilise and manage each shield at a time. It'll even make normal gameplay interesting as to choose which route you take based on shield availability. I'm hoping he'll have the natural strength to just plow through walls to signify his strength.

Ray being a Flying Squirrel and a character we don't really know massively in-depth about; I'm hoping he can maybe get a physics altering gliding ability and perhaps a double jump of some sort. Maybe become a lot faster in the air as he would on the ground, like a hybridization of Tails/Knuckles in terms of ability and speed.

Also, Super Mighty and Super Ray will be nice to see.

Last edited:
So, since it's been announced in the trailers, there's probably no point in using spoiler tags anymore...

Ray plays pretty similar to how I would have expected; if anything, it reminds me of the cape from Super Mario World. (Or... NSMBU's flying squirrel powerup? I didn't play that one, so idk.) Looks pretty nice -- similar in concept to Tails' flight, but it retains some of the flow whereas Tails tends to slow things down. Looks like a good mechanic.

Mighty seems to be more combat oriented -- considering that he broke the icicles in Press Garden at 1:15, that seems to suggest that his pounce has certain "armor" properties that would allow it to ignore otherwise damaging obstacles. Considering that is the only action put on display for Mighty's gameplay, it would be hard to discern much else from this, except...

It was reported in some Youtube thread elsewhere that I can't find anymore, but the accidental update leak revealed some unused paths that were added to some of the levels, yet which were not accessible to Knuckles. It's plausible that these could belong to Mighty, with the pounce being used to crush through the floor. This seems likely to me, since it would mirror Ray's similarity to Tails, with Mighty being a more flow-centric take on Knuckles' alternate routes gameplay.

Last edited:
That sounds pretty interesting, Cobalt. I would love to see Mighty having his own exclusive paths. Unlike Ray (and Tails), his ability doesn't look like something that will be of much use in in the regular routes, just something you would get out of your way to try out. Excluse paths would not only fix this but also add some additional gameplay to the campaign.

I think his ability could have technical applications for speedrunning, e.g. onto slopes and springs, and it might allow him to cheese enemies in certain ways, if indeed he's less susceptible to damage during the maneuver.

May I make a double post when my previous post on this thread was over 4 weeks ago and I have a hopefully-valid reason to make a new post here now?

Sonic Mania Adventures: Part 3 has now been released, along with more Sonic Mania Plus Encore mode level palette "spoilers" at the credits of the video.

Last edited:
Apologies for the triple post, but it is for the same reason as the above double post, so I hope it's okay...

Sonic Mania Adventures: Part 4 has now been released, along with Mighty and Ray gameplay (plus even more Sonic Mania Plus Encore mode level palette "spoilers") at the credits of the video.

Did you guys see the new gameplay for Mania Plus with character switching? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIvdourpP9U

Personally, I think the main gimmick for Encore Mode is pretty interesting. I like how they got rid of lives but you still have "lives" with the amount of characters you have unlocked during your Encore playthrough.

Yeah, I'm digging it. Mighty and Ray are pretty much what I was expecting, with Mighty being more of a muscle character and Ray being Cape Mario reincarnate.

Lives stopped meaning anything for me once I hit my thirtieth, so this seems like a neat compromise. Kind of reminds me of the first TMNT game for NES (except for the part where you basically lose if Donatello dies).

Man mighty looks so cool. Ray is legit a fluffy ball

Ugh i cant wait for july 17th

Sonic Mania Plus might be out now. I don't know. But "Sonic Mania - Encore DLC" is out now on Steam, at least, and having bought that, Sonic Mania now says Sonic Mania Plus at the title screen.

In addition to that, Sonic Mania Adventures: Part 5 has now been released, which is the last part of Sonic Mania Adventures.

Now, speaking of Sonic Mania Plus/Encore DLC, I have played it on Steam for a little bit (three and a half zones in Encore mode), and while I don't have much to say about the gameplay itself, I do have to say that my least favourite things so far are the "minor" instability (crashing-wise) and the fact that due to the way the "Plus" in "Sonic Mania Plus" is made to appear, the title screen goes on for a few seconds more than before before you're able to go to the main menu. I'm certain that the stability will be improved in the coming days/weeks, though I doubt that the title screen sequence is going to get shorter/quicker.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back