Suggestions

The console command "hurtme" should not require devmode. All the restriction does is make it take longer to switch characters in match/ctf, and subsequently it's an obstruction to testing characters in multiplayer modes.

The reason it requires devmode is because it would be potentially abusive in match to deny score to opponents by hurting/killing yourself.

I know some code exists for supporting devmode in netplay, but it's disabled and probably doesn't work anyway for all I know. Theoretically you could make a Lua script to make a hurtme command not restricted by devmode anyway, to be fair.

[Off] should be the default setting [of restrictskinchange], in my opinion.
For testing purposes, that would be nice, sure. For any actual multiplayer purposes... why should you have Sonic's speed, Tails' flight, and Knuckles' glide/faster ring firing simply because you have bound three keys to switch skin between Sonic/Tails/Knuckles with one press? That would be very unfair against people who open the console and type "skin [name or number]" manually, let alone people who open the pause menu to go through the "set up player" thing and such to change skin. Personally, I think there's a reason Sonic can't fly, Tails is slow, etcetera, and combining their statistics and abilities at will... You can probably see where I'm going with this.

In other words, that would probably just make unskilled people perform a tiny bit better (but very close to no difference, if there even will be a difference for them, of which probably not many), but skilled people perform exponentially better the more skilled they are, provided they know they can change skin while standing still.

TL;DR: I'm against making "off" the default for "restrictskinchange".

Personally, I have a few binds I placed in my autoexec.cfg to aid in testing. Yes, noclip, god, devmode, and other similar commands are cheats, but when I'm testing I often have already tested the area seriously hundreds of times already and just want the convenience of being able to trivialize encounters or get to weird places that are ordinarily hard to reach quickly. This is what the dev tools are for, after all.

This does not mean that noclip should be on by default. If you want dev tools available super quickly, make a bind.

If restrictskinchange was off by default it'd be more likely that people won't know of the feature at all, and even if they did they probably wouldn't turn it on otherwise anyway ;)

I would like to see regular NiGHTS and Special Stage NiGHTS using the same graphics, because I just think it's weird loading up Spring Hill and rings serve a different purpose all of a sudden.

I'd opt for using the SS graphics for both, since "blue items for opening the capsule, gold items for points" is more accurate to NiGHTS and is what most of vanilla uses, but making them more consistent either way is fine in my book.

I think Knuckles sprites should get a remodel. I know MotorRoach just made new Knuckles sprites, but compared to Fsonic and Smiles, he just doesn't match. He doesn't match with the new textures either, in my opinion. I'm not saying he needs to be fully remade. Just he needs a rehash.

unknown.png

On it.

One thing that irks me about slopes is that sometimes they're not very visible or distinguishable, like with grass and other similar textures. Would it be possible to fake directional lighting by taking the slope's normal and lightening/darkening that specific plane's texture, like how COLORMAP handles fog?

SUGGESTION: Make shields fit all characters

From what I recall we were planning on giving characters different heights in 2.2 to match the sprites. So Sonic would stay the same, Tails would be shorter, and Knuckles would be taller to help shield objects scale properly.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 4, Members: 0, Guests: 4)

Back