Unofficial v2.2 Discussion Thread

What happens when the cart crashes into the following:
Wall?
Badnik?
TNT Barrel?
solid non-moving object?

My guess, you fall off the Minecart, or maybe you get hurt, also seeing as the Minecart follows a pre-defined path I don't think it would crash on walls or solid non-moving objects.

Last edited:
The 2.2 trailer has a part where the player has to avoid spiked walls in the minecart, though. So it's probably very possible to crash onto things. I imagine the cart breaks down and the character acts like you got hit normally when that happens, and you'd have to go the rest of the way on foot.

I don't know, those carts are hella slow so that's not much of a punishment.

Are there going to be any changes to existing sprites, gfx, and state names?
I would like to know so that any graphic packs I usually use can still be used in 2.2.

I'm not worried about new ones being added since those will have to be made anyways.

Are there going to be any changes to existing sprites, gfx, and state names?
I would like to know so that any graphic packs I usually use can still be used in 2.2.

I'm not worried about new ones being added since those will have to be made anyways.
I don't think they'd need to change the textures names.

Posted this on the video, but I figure I should copy it here, to make sure it is seen:

"Not entirely sure I like the completely new song. the bit that starts at 0:55 is a great remix, though. but the rest of it just seems too high energy, and loses the foreboding feeling of the original."

I dunno, the original never struck me as particularly foreboding, save for the way it opens. I think the new one is a definite improvement.

Man, I had no idea they were uploading more 2.2 songs. I have no idea how I missed GuyWithThePie's post either. Good thing frozenLake and MrMcLime posted too or I'd still be in the dark about this.

Anyway I quite like the new THZ1, though my nostalgia for the old one is stopping me from saying it's better. As for the boss, I agree it's a tad too upbeat and energetic. I try to picture the GFZ1 boss with this new song and they just don't connect. Not that it still isn't a huge upgrade over the old song.

For me, it was what I had been wanting for some time. The energetic shift is far more reminiscent of the classic games (both old and new) and I believe it will help make the bosses more enjoyable... as long as some of them are updated to make them fit. Because the Egg Mobile and the Sea Egg aren't suited well for this theme at all.

So far I love all the remixes that were shown, just adds a new layer to that 2.2 hype already instilled. And I assume a number of boss battles will be reworked (some more, some less) so let's not compare how fitting the boss music is with the level itself before we actually see the final version.

Seriously, though, guys (devs), I don't know how often people stop and say this, but thank you. For everything.

Thank you for your work on Re-imagining the 3rd Act Boss fight theme, definitely an improvement over the original but I feel it lacks a bit of sense of energy, it could easily fit as a regular act music, of course that's just my opinion so take that with a grain of salt.

Last edited:
but I feel it lacks a bit of sense of energy

And the current one doesn't?

The boss music has been my personal most hated track in the game for about a decade now. It's awful, lacks anything like energy, a sense of urgency, or anything truly memorable. This is such a massive upgrade to that, it's insane

Last edited:
Well, if the Eggman bosses themselves suddenly became more fast paced, instead of slowly pressing buttons, then it would make sense, but right now, it doesn't fit for any of the existing eggman bosses.

Like, It could work for a Sonic Advance 2 esque running boss? But for the primarily stationary bosses of today, it... doesn't.

Well imo that's the music's role in the first place, to enhance whatever is being shown and give a certain impression. A slower boss level with an upbeat track is always going to seem more alive than a fast paced one with a slow tune. As for the battles themselves, there's not much that can be changed to make them seem more fast paced. Take the first one for example, right now I think it's perfectly balanced in the sense that it offers a reasonable challenge but still has a tame nature compared to the later ones, to ease the player in the difficulty curve.

Also, the music for the Metal Sonic Boss is a lot more alive than the usual Boss music, and it fits perfectly, whereas the Egg Rock Core one REALLY doesn't (wonder if those will be remasterd)

And the current one doesn't?

I'm not saying the current one's better, I'm just saying the new one could use some improvement, I didn't feel the sense of "threat" from it.

Last edited:

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back