• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

[SUGOI 2] Sonic Uncovers Banning And Realizes Anime Spoilers Hurt Intricate Ideas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Um, isn't all this stuff due the 31st? I didn't see nothin about no deadline on the 24th in the initial post!!

Last edited:
Hi DarkTechno,

I like your level and I think it has potential. I'm seeing some rookie mistakes that are costing some of the experience though, so this review might help you boost your level up.

The main thing that I noticed is that your rooms are very small, a good example being near the beginning with the enemies ambushing from behind the crates. Not a bad idea, but not really compelling since the crates are too small for them to actually hide behind; additionally, there's not much room to maneuver, so combat inside the room is clumsy and stiff. I would personally redo this room by sizing it up and turning it into a maze that uses spaced-out walls and columns which conceal enemies but still allow the player to run around freely. I would also scale up the electric floor room for similar reasons, mainly so that the platforming is more comfortable with the way that Sonic carries momentum.

Elevator fights are some of my favorite segments in beatemups and platformers, so it's nice to see one in SRB2. However, the 3D nature of the game means that a lot of enemies hit you from the back without you expecting it. Some sort of visual or audio cue might help here. As far as difficulty goes, I would cut down the spawns in half so that the enemies don't pile up and overwhelm the player (this is kind of necessary since you use two hit enemies AND invincible chasers back to back before introducing even more enemies to the arena.) Lastly, this is something I probably disagree with Ice on, but I think this section might feel a little more graceful if you amped up the gravity to counteract the falling speed of the characters.

With all that out of the way, I would say that the core structure is there but the visuals are a bit lacking. The skybox is pretty cool, but the architecture itself is pretty bare. It feels like you're creating a room with all of the necessary sectors to create gameplay and suggest a visual theme, but you don't go that extra mile to create structures and points of interest to help suggest that it's more than just an empty corridor in a videogame. The long and short of it is that you should decorate your rooms (especially the walls) using sector geometry and custom scenery sprites in order to make the most out of your visuals. This sort of polish is something you probably won't get exactly right the first time, but it's worth the effort and it'll help immerse the player if done well.

As for the difficulty scaling, the creator of any game or level will kind of have a bias since they know how to beat what they've designed before their player does. You'll want to ease the player into the challenges starting off and then go full force as the level continues -- in this case it would mean reducing enemy counts and loosening up some of the platforming in the earlier segments, so that as the level continues the player understands the challenges and is fully engaged as challenges are reintroduced or revved up a couple notches.

Last edited:
Can i submit a map i have already published for releases section ?, With few changes ofc.
EDIT : + The map I already posted.

Last edited:
Amazing map here! There are a few issues in some places but overall I love it. You capture the medieval winter theme perfectly :D And your usage of slopes is really good.
Issue 1: Sometimes it's not obvious where to go (e.g. there is a Blue Spring that you can't just use to go in front of you) -- as always, arrows fix this.
Issue 2: If you fall onto the second long slope that you need to use to get across a pit, you won't have any speed and will probably die.
Issue 3: Thokking a few things will cause you to fall somewhere without barriers and probably die (it's a mountain but eh).
Issue 4: Some of the slopes are pretty steep. Thokking? Dead. Spindash? Dead. Trying to run across them? Dead. Doing it normally?
Dead. Not big surprise.
Issue 5: YOUDON'THAVEAN -- wait. You don't have any in-map or record attack emblems and all maps need those.
Now that I'm done stressing, have fun doing that tomorrow. Today is the day for JINGLING (I already did that because France :P) so have fun, chillax and don't do anything SUGOI today.
THAT'S FOR TOMORROW ;)
Overall really good map. Would love to see where you decide to hide Emblems in this map.
I'm gonna do a run with Tails and Knuckles and see where that takes me :D

Last edited:
AJqOWxl.png

Anyways, time is up for the first mapping phase! Technically. Let me know if you need more time, but so far the the total level count is a whopping 21! That's astounding! And if the rate of late entries is the same as SUGOI 1, then we'd be seeing nearly double that coming in the coming days! Nice job everybody~!!

Now, is the most important phase of them all: JINGLING. Take today off before moving onto polishing your maps, y'all deserve it. I'll be writing reviews for some of the newer maps soon.
I still need to properly submit my level (if not already included in the count)
My first download link was of a version that was a bit early.

Proper Submission version. (this stage has an end point)

Download: The link to your map. https://www.dropbox.com/s/9rhf8287tkmyukk/SC_SaphireFrost.wad?dl=0
Title: Sapphire Frost
Credits: Placeholder booster: Sonic 2, Silver Ring update: Glaber and Larztard(Luascript), extra textures and resources from the Christmas resource pack on post 1, Also uses assets from SRB2 Christmas.
Maintainer Notes: Map is a normal stage. I intended on useing Wolfy's Ice Cap Alternate act 1 as that's what I was designing the level to. The level instead uses Diamond Dust act 1 due to acceptable music format

Last edited:
I could use more time for my level, even if its my first level im creating in Zone builder, but i have confidence that it wont be that bad.

Edit:Or il be working on my level as fast as i can.

Last edited:
My map has hit a bit of a snag involving linedef executors! I think I'll need a few days to get this straightened out and my map finished. I'm very near the end!

I've Finished my 1st Act but i need time for the 2nd act of my level.
But today il just take a break.

HSFtg8Y.gif

My collab with Root, as he said he would be doing earlier in this thread.

Lua script is mine, Root made the custom and edited sprites, HUD, and recorded this particular gif.

Sonic rotates weirdly when shooting because an actual shooting animation isn't done yet, it'll look better in release, I promise.

Gonna need a few more days on this, also.

Is it For SUGOI 2 or it is some kind new lua your making if so, Il be waiting to see this.

I've Finished my 1st Act but i need time for the 2nd act of my level.
But today il just take a break.

You should probably submit the first act for criticism and work on polishing that level rather than making a second.

Download: Wad Attached.
Title: Holiday Hill Zone
Credits: VAdaPEGA made the tree sprites
Maintainer Notes: Needs Boinciel's xmastexturesnew.wad. Merry Christmas.
EDIT: <TehRealSnow> you have my explicit permission to release on the jingling phase; put that in maintainers notes

Attachments

• srb20265.png
    srb20265.png
    188.6 KB · Views: 341
  • holidayhillv1.zip
    520.4 KB · Views: 215
Last edited:
Originally Posted by Boinciel

You should probably submit the first act for criticism and work on polishing that level rather than making a second.

Ok il submit as soon as i polish my act.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back