• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

sonic_ultima.wad *Verison 2.5* Zone 1 remade!

Is this good?

• Yes, I like this WAD.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Maybe, but you could do better...

• No, it's bad and not that good.

• DO IT NOW! I WANT TO PLAY THIS!

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
GAAAAAAAAAH!!!!

Okay, I have some complaints:

(Note: I've only played Emerald hill zone, Metal Mine zone act 1, And Carnival Zone act 1 until I got to the Detons.)

1. Some of the levels are too big, I mean, I have to run for 10 seconds across an open field to reach a spring! JEEZ!

2. Don't EVER Put Detons in a level. The are the ABSOLUTE SUCKIEST Enemy there is. They
make the game scary and NOT FUN. So for god's sake, GET RID OF THEM.
In Emerald Hill zone 2, I had to go like James Bond for the rest of the level, Checking all the corners before I make them. All because of that stupid Deton.

3. Graphical glitches In Emerald Hill Zone Act 1:

Teh Glitch.
srb20011.png

Waterfall glitch.
srb20012.png

That area viewed from a different spot.
srb20013.png

Otherwise, GREAT MOD! I like the music best. ^_^

Zone 3-1 & Zone 3-2 have been updated

Zone 3-1 has water, also a few ambushes.

Zone 3-2 enemys have been updated, near the end, watch out! That's all I have to say.

ZONE 7 is now done.

The fourth review.

A new beta means a new review. And just because I like playing on your server, doesn't mean I won't review this honestly.

Previous scores:

D/C: 6.0, 6.5, 6.5
L/D: 5.5, 5.5, 5.5
P/G: 4.0, 5.5, 5.5
O/C: 4.5, 5.5, 6.0
I/L: 5.0, 6.0, 6.0
Overall: 5.0, 5.8, 5.9

New scores:

Design/Challenge: 7.0: Some changes to the maps like in the third stage, are good and add challenge to the level pack, also deep ocean is a rather hard level and makes the level pack better.

Level Design: 6.0: Minor improvements over the old levels, and the new level improve on the design of the levels, and deep ocean shows what a good level in sonic ultima could look like.

Problems/Glitches: 5.5: More of the same things, not much different.

Other/Cool stuff: 6.0: Not much new here.

Individual levels: 6.2: The addition of deep ocean zone helped to improve this score, not all the new changes were scored but deep ocean was the new level so it got scored.

Deep ocean zone: 5.5: Really short, but some nice underwater ruins.
Deep ocean zone: 8.0: It's long, nice level design, cool concepts in the level, it is really hard though, some enemies make it really easy to fall.
Deep ocean zone: 8.0: It's a boss, but it is underwater which makes it intresting.

Overall: 6.1: The changes on the old levels, and the addition of the new zone improved the level pack, even though the difficulty did allow some changes to be overlooked.

That is the review.

I am working on ZONE 8, here's what it will look like...

ZONE 8-1 : Canyon, Caves, and Mountins, Tails and Knuckles can ace this easy, but for Sonic, it is hard, try not to fall.(I learn how to custom the sky HT.)

Zone 8-2 : More caves, also beware of platforms that crumble when stepped on, as they can lead you to your doom.

Zone 8-3 : High on a mountian, the boss has gotten hard, as you deal with him, even 1 hit can lead to falling off the mountian.

I am at school right now, so this is delayed for awhile.

Once I get back home, I'll post a screenshot of Zone 8-1.

GOOD NEWS.

I have figure out how to make shadows with the FOFs, some of the FOFs now have a shade. (Due to mass FOFs, I might miss a few, but as further the releases are, that may be fixed.

Zone 8-1 doesn't have any software bugs yet, but sometimes the walls shake, but thats all they do, and it just shakes, no POP UP WALLS AND RUN RIGHT INTO THEM.*See screenshot of EHZ1 to find out what I mean.*

Wow, Zone 7 act 2 is amazing. I expected it to be just one big room without any walls and crunbling ledges, but you proved me wrong. And for right before the emerald token there... ouch.

WAD master said:
2. Don't EVER Put Detons in a level. The are the ABSOLUTE SUCKIEST Enemy there is. They
make the game scary and NOT FUN. So for god's sake, GET RID OF THEM.
In Emerald Hill zone 2, I had to go like James Bond for the rest of the level, Checking all the corners before I make them. All because of that stupid Deton.

Grow up Please.

Wow, it's a stupid deton. How does it make the game scary.

Why get rid of them? There the only enemy that basically give you a challenge.

While I don't agree with his terminology, Detons do suck, and shouldn't be used outside of THZ2 or a similar room design. They're either simple to avoid or impossible to avoid, and that's bad level design.

I have just got done with ZONE 8-1, I did a test run in SOFTWARE and there was no glitchs to report, if you see any, report them to me.

No new downlink yet, my net is cut of due to the lack of payment. >.<

(This post was made in my school.)

So, I decided to try out this wad, since I could see that you've apparently completed 7 full zones over the course of 3 months. Now, I'm a firm beleiver that you can't make 7 quality zones in such a short amount of time, and this wad pretty much proves my point. I played through the first four zones, and they were pretty much what I was expecting. They were all very flat, and lacked any detail; they relied mainly on giant armies of robots for any sort of challenge. During Zone 3 I see that you discovered the Z-axis, and started giving your levels vertical difference. That also seems to be around the point you discovered Death Pits, since every level after Zone 3 Act 2 was practically built over one. The music was taken from Sonic Next Gen, the intermission screen taken from SA-SRB2, and custom enemies taken from JJames' level pack. The levels had nothing that made them stand out from others; you could basically switch the flats and textures in any given level and call it a new zone. In some spots the levels were too cramped, in other spots it was too open. There seemed to be a lot of maze-like design; I had trouble getting through Zone 2 because I kept getting lost.

Basically what I'm saying is that you should learn more about level design before taking on such an ambitious project, and spend more time on your levels. You just simply can't make good levels in such a short amount of time; you need to have time to release your levels, get feedback, then use that feedback to make your future levels better. At the present moment, I wouldn't rate any of the first four zones above a 3/10, because they really aren't that fun at all. You're just running down halls, trying to find your way through a maze while being attacked by about 50 Jetty Syns.

Thats basically what I got out of it when I played it.

My turn:
Levels are too flat, have too many enemy's, too many ring, and in some parts too large, and others small and cramped. The 3rd boss doesn't even look like, or match the first two. The second zone(I think it's the second, the mine something) just looks like edits of the first zone act 2. The ship one was a huge circle, and you didn't even need to turn, everything is done for you with springs, all you have to do is press forward. And the rest is just like what FF said, so I'll finish now.

You say the first 4 zones are like too flat, too cramp, too much space?

I suppose I have rushed to make this...

I'll give myself time to remake the 4 ZONES, *However zone 3 looks alright... just too many robots...*

I'll have to do a remake of ZONE 1,2,3 and 4.

Zone 1 -> Too flat, software bugs appear.

Zone 2 -> Too big, does not match, software bugs appear.

Zone 3 -> Too many robots, messed up vine textures.

Zone 4 -> CAM. screws up, too big, non-detailed, mess up textures in software, software bugs appear.

Zone 6-1 -> Software bugs appear.

I suppose this goes in a how do you call it? *In mystic_realm, it begins with an A, but I forgot the name.*

I now notice that I rushed into this, and that I need to take my time to make these levels...

However, the reason is that, this file seems to crash whenever I try to make it like the ones in the other level packs, saying its overflowed with too much space. (I just got rid of a 700MB file...) Thats why it's like that, and if it keeps happening... then what am I going to do? It keeps crashing even if theres space, after I got rid of 700MB, that same error kept ruining my pack, and when I save it, all of my maps, that's right, all of them were removed, leaveing me with only MAP50.

How can I stop this? I don't know, so for now, I have a limited time here, my NET won't work because of the lack of payment, so I have to type this in school.

(Such a big post.)

It doesn't matter what map numbers you use, he's complaining about your crappy level design. Boring, open fields with a bazillion enemies are just bad. Try making interactive stages with imaginative worlds, not ZERG RUSH KEKEKEKEKE ^_________________^

Ok... you may hate me for this, but I was making a new map for Zone 1-1, and it looks... all hills and such, like you said, it was all flat, wait till you see it, but... too bad I can't upload the file right now, THURSDAY I could, because my NET could be working by then.

*MAPA1* (ZONE 1-1)

Alot of hills, not really that flat, has a coast like water, some flat caves, but not much, shows alittle muti-paths, upper path and lower path, not to metion DEATH PITS, which are in the caves and on the other side of the area.(You need to spindash or fly/glide to reach the exit.)

*BUGS*
Overlaps the player at the start.(Tried to fix this by making new sectors to reduce the big sector size and by changeing the HT. of the sectors, but the bugs kept appearing and I have failed.)

Near at some points, you may encounter more overlaping bugs but, they shouldn't bring anything to mess you up.

A missing texture sometimes appears when entering the first cave where the starpost is, however, doesn't show any overlaps or anything.

No bugs in the caves, unless you want me to make then bigger, then they might show up.

On the other side where the 2nd starpost is, no bugs to report, but there appears to be a wall texture that keeps shaking, I think its trying to break off and cause a glitch, but I'm not sure.

No more of the old Zone 1-1, with the big flat areas and all, but this new map of it, is a bit buggy, with the overlaps, and belive me I have tried to fix this, but I was unable to.

SOFTWARE : A little buggy.
OPENGL : None.

If you have to, ask someone who made a perfect level pack to help you (i.e. Mystic who made Mystic Realm, Furious Fox who made Acid Missile *I think*).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back