• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

Playable Sonic by r543

Status
Not open for further replies.
im just wanting to play as an actual modern sonic. i tried making one but it looked rather crappy. so im really looking forward to this and would LOVE to have this done soon.

I didn't post for a long time, I don't have holidays at the moment so I don't have that much time to work on this and the 1 sprite a day plan didn't work so there isn't any real progress this far, but I guess I can show you this:
0VrGviH.png

That's the current back sprite of sonic, I did that some time ago and fixed some little pixel errors now.

Unleashedsonic is going to have a special ability that uses the lua light function, but I'll add this later, after I finished normal sonic with all of this sprites.

Something about that looks odd... Don't know what, but the back from Sonic looks weird in the spines.

i believe its the shading that doesnt look right. also r543? can you show a sprite of his running animations from the front and the back sides next?

Infinitely better than my sprites, but I can do better now, but this looks nice. Just fix the pillowshading on the middle quill. And use some antialiasing, because the shading looks all jagged.

EDIT

How's this? I scaled it down btw, because your one was scaled up, I could tell because when I went to edit it, there were 4 pixels in each square, when it should be 1, so, yeah.
oPvRwBy.png

Last edited:
Hey HitCoder, that looks good! I cannot wait for r543 to connect and see it. Well..... I don't see any problems on the serious side, so... It's fine.

Hey HitCoder, that looks good! I cannot wait for r543 to connect and see it. Well..... I don't see any problems on the serious side, so... It's fine.

Thanks, it looks a lot less... odd... You see, the shading on the previous sprite looked jagged and horrible, and made me want to stare at binary code... idk... What am I saying again?

Anyway, I can't wait for this to be finished, I really want SRB2 to have a half-decent modernsonic without it looking ugly like EMW5 sonic, and EMW5 sonic isn't even a real modernsonic anyway.

Oh hey, look! It's "Modern Sonic" as an MD2!
zpWkHUI.png

Thanks, it looks a lot less... odd... You see, the shading on the previous sprite looked jagged and horrible, and made me want to stare at binary code... idk... What am I saying again?

Anyway, I can't wait for this to be finished, I really want SRB2 to have a half-decent modernsonic without it looking ugly like EMW5 sonic, and EMW5 sonic isn't even a real modernsonic anyway.

Well, SADXSonic was pretty good. It was sonic from SADX ripped from screen shots and made into sprites. Despite this method working horribly sometimes, it worked well with SADXSonic. Also Sonicre was pretty modern looking.

Well, SADXSonic was pretty good. It was sonic from SADX ripped from screen shots and made into sprites. Despite this method working horribly sometimes, it worked well with SADXSonic. Also Sonicre was pretty modern looking.

Actually, SADXsonic and SonicRE were both horrible. the best sonic remake so far is SonicCE which has really anoying run frames, as his legs don't move far enough.

When this unleashed sonic runs, in the current 3d model version he looks odd, so I home r543 adds a lua to give him more frames to make it smoother.

Oh boy hitkid do I have some news to break to you. Sonicre may be bad but it's certainly better then Sonicce by a landslide.

Edit:
Also, those who live in glass houses should not throw stones.

Last edited:
Burned.

I am really hyped for this. Really, it looks preety damn good. Keep up the awesome work, r543!
I hope you don't quit; your work is amazing.
BTW, how are you progressing with the sprites? Did you finish the standing/boredom sprites?
And again, awesome work.

Oh boy hitkid do I have some news to break to you. Sonicre may be bad but it's certainly better then Sonicce by a landslide.

Edit:

Why in hell do you think SonicRE is better than SonicCE? Sonic RE is pillow shaded, and does not, in one single way, look like sonic. SonicCE looks like a real modernsonic, and has realistic shading, and doesn't look cartoony, like most characters on the message board. Of course, it doesn't fit in with the default artstyle, but it is by far superior to SonicRE.

Sonicompare.PNG

...I'll be honest, they both look yucky to me. SonicRE is too bright, and SonicCE is too shiny and out-of-proportion.

EDIT:

Sonicompare2.PNG

...nope, they don't look much better from the side. In fact, SonicCE is far worse now.

Last edited:
Not everything that looks pillow shaded is, if you take a look at some of my older sprites, you can see that the brightest color isn't in the middle of it, it's more on the top of it because that's how it looks like on some spikes. The middle spike is under the top spike, so it doesn't get a lot of light and it connects to the head, which isn't bright.

The problem with the srb2 modern sonics is that they try to keep the old body shape of classic and are more like classic restyled to look like modern. Re looks somewhat ok but could need better color and Ce looks like a 3d model but with spikes that are off, but it looks a big like nextgen sonic.

Sonicompare2.PNG

...nope, they don't look much better from the side. In fact, SonicCE is far worse now.

Where is the left ear of SonicCE? Does look weird, and far more ugly than SonicRE. Really, at least SonicRE seen from a side has it's two ears intact :|
SonicCE looks like he has a circular-plain head :S

Where is the left ear of SonicCE? Does look weird, and far more ugly than SonicRE. Really, at least SonicRE seen from a side has it's two ears intact :|
SonicCE looks like he has a circular-plain head :S

It's all about positions. It's good that you can't see his other ear. Look at his era's position, and guess where the second ear would be located should you look at him from the front.

It's almost like saying "lul, that's a horrible sprite, where is his right arm?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back