Does giving a colormap a tag of -1 preclude the use of any subsequent colormaps?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fawfulfan

The Tortured Planet guy
This is been bothering me for some time now. Giving a colormap a tag of -1 (or 65,535) will floodfill the entire level with the colormap. The problem is that since two colormaps cannot both occupy the same sector, the global colormap seems to nullify all local colormaps, such as those used to make water blue.

Here's my question: Is this inevitable? Is the use of a global colormap incompatible with the use of any lesser colormaps throughout the level? Or is there some setting I can use to make local colormaps override the global colormap?

Try having the -1 linedef be a lower number than the other one, or maybe the other way around. -1 basically means "all", so that one sector actually has both colormaps tagged to it, which one ends up being shown to the player is probably either the first one or the last one, so you might be able to toy with that.

Just tried it. It doesn't seem to make a difference whether the linedef number of one colormap is higher or lower than another; the global colormap will override the local colormap in both cases.

Are you using software, or OpenGL? Their colormap behavior tends to be different.
I'd post something here about how the lightlists for a sector behave, but I forget. I believe the highest light takes precedence.

I am using Software Mode...I would never test a light effect in OpenGL.

Anyway, so you think giving the global colormap's bordering sector a light level of 0 would lower its priority? I think I'll try that.

No, highest as in Z height. Instead of tagging the colormaps directly to the target sectors, tag them to light blocks, then put the -1 tag on the light block linedef and play with the control sectors' ceiling heights.

Just so you guys know, I tried giving the global colormap both the lowest light level and lowest ceiling height, and it still dominated every other colormap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back