v2.0 Match/CTF Preview (Updated July 1st, 2009)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: 1.1 Match/CTF Preview (Updated June 1st, 2009)

Those maps look so cool!!

Mystic said:
Update #2! (June 1st, 2009):

prev_ss7.png

Is that Lime Forest Zone? The lake and the bases look familiar.

Also, in one of the pictures on the image directory, Sonic's color was.. light blue.

That is indeed Lime Forest. There are whole new texture sets in ME, and we've been applying them to various levels in the game.

And that wasn't just light blue. That was me using the new cyan set of player colors. In ME, we now have new colors to replace some of the older and bland ones in 1.09.4. Cyan is the most recent addition to the set, and my personal favorite.

MattW_CFI said:
You act surprised.
Okay.

Oh my God, Meet the Spy was released! Isn't it the greatest Meet the Team short yet! I'm so surprised Valve released it!

EDIT: Oh god, they shut down 3D Realms? Never bet on the Duke! D:

Are there color changing rings based off your color in multiplayer too? I only ask because I saw the team rings, and figured that'd be a nice addition as well.

No, there are not. The color of the thrown ring is reserved to let you see what weapon the opponent is using at a glance. Especially with the addition of the new weapons, the color makes it very clear, even from quite far away.

The red ring IS still changed to a blue ring for the blue team in CTF, but that's the only exception.

Only for Super Ring. Other monitors apply to both sides equally. This is to avoid unbalanced spawns on the random box for one team.

Team rings sounds kind of annoying in multiplayer. So if you lose your rings when you're at the opposite base you have to go back to your base, grab sufficient rings, then go all the way back? If so, then that's a pain to do if you're fighting a skilled player who's at his own base waiting to capture the flag.

Ice said:
So if you lose your rings when you're at the opposite base you have to go back to your base, crap sufficient rings, then go all the way back?

I assume we'll have 3 kinds of rings: red, blue and normal. Normal rings will be placed on main/central part of the map. So you won't need to go to your base to grab some "your-team" rings. Just need to grab some normal rings within central area, out of the opposite base.

prev_ss7.png

(again. Can you see the normal - yellow - rings, Mr. CoolGuy? :D)

lol, in the quote I said "crap sufficient rings"
My main concern was Silver Cascade zone. There's hardly any middle ground that people actually stay in, and plenty of camping can happen on either side of the pool.

Generally the team rings are only placed near the flag. In Silver Cascade they're in the flag room as well as the highest tier of the base outside the flag room. The center of the map has normal rings as usual. The objective isn't to make it impossible to assault the flag, the objective is mainly to discourage camping the flag room by making you run out of their base if you don't have any rings.

Ice, only rings and Super Ring are allowed to be team-only. They're separate objects, not part of the bitset. This makes it still possible to collect ammo and weapons in the opposing team's base; however, since you can't fire without rings, this isn't really much of a problem.

We aimed to accomplish this as simply as possible. There was actually a large amount of debate in #'dev about having team ring monitors at all, in fact. You won't see team weapons, shields, or other items to keep things simple. The new system is complicated enough as it is.

Rob said:
That outer wall texture is nothing short of blinding.
Which is why we changed it, Rob.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Back