• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

My first level: Mushroom Castle

Status
Not open for further replies.

BriGuy92

Hey all! I'm kinda new on the SRB2 editing scene, and have just now made my first level: a match level based on the Mushroom Castle from SMRPG. Here are some screens of the rooms in the level and their corresponding rooms in the original.

MushroomCastleA.png
SRB2A.png

MushroomCastleC.png

SRB2C.png

MushroomCastleD.png

SRB2D.png

MushroomCastleF.png

SRB2F.png

MushroomCastleH.png

SRB2H.png

MushroomCastleI.png

SRB2I.png

The object in this monitor is a Whirlwind Sheild.

Yes, I know the SRB2 Version is generally flatter than the original, and all furniture has been removed. This level is not quite complete, but it's getting there. Any suggestions from anyone?

Here's the link to the WAD.
http://pageofstuff.googlepages.com/MushroomCastle.wad
It's playable in both 1-player and Match modes, although it has no exit.

I think it looks good so far, although you might want to scale it a bit bigger when you're done. Keep it up!

In two of the pictures, there are a lot of rings in one section. That's not good. You should get rid of some of the rings so that it won't look as bad.

Thanks for the criticism everyone!

BlueZero4 said:
From the screens alone, it looks cramper and unplayable.

Ok, that's been fixed. I made everything twice as big (I love Doom Builder's "Scale" button!) and changed the heights a bit.

Vash said:
In two of the pictures, there are a lot of rings in one section. That's not good.

That's been fixed as well. The rings are now more evenly spaced, with no huge concentrations.

I also added two special rings, one of which is in a "hidden" room, changed the monitors, and added a few Toads in the "throne room."

No new pics, so you'll have to play it to see all the coolness! By the way, I find it much easier to control if you play in Match mode, the first-person view makes it easier to handle for whatever reason. Also, when starting the level in DB's "Test" mode, the random spawn points will not work, for whatever reason. If you start it as a netgame from within SRB2, the random spawn points will work. I don't know why that is, but it really doesn't matter...

Here's the link again: http://pageofstuff.googlepages.com/MushroomCastle.wad

Any more suggestions?

PS: I also plan on adding in the "carpeting" in other rooms that need it, that'll be there in the final version, which I'll put in the "Releases" forum.

If you're going to leave the rings un-deafed, make them coins. It's under the "Mario items" section.

Also, get your rings a bit farther away from the walls. I want to collect, please.

And other than that, it's not as horrid as I expected. Great work.

Oh yeah, and please don't use middle textures in unneeded spots. It makes your level look really messy. In other words, use textures only where Doom Builder says "Missing Texture."

Coins... good idea. I'm also adding the level select preview pic right now, so no need to worry about that.

Sorry about the double post, but here's an update! The preview pic now works, the rings have been turned into coins, and there are now three special rings, two of which are hidden in spindash rooms. See if you can find them!

By the way, what exactly did you mean when you said "I want to collect, get the rings out of the corners"?

Linky: http://pageofstuff.googlepages.com/MushroomCastle.wad

And with that, I go to bed!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back