SonicQuest - Beta 0.6 [mtf_sonicquest_beta06.wad]

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Internet Explorer, will do. I'll create shallow non-damaging water.

@Virt, thanks for showing me that website! Those remixes are fantastic but the file sizes are just way to big to be put into a WAD file...

By Agent Hack
@Internet Explorer, will do. I'll create shallow non-damaging water.
Ah, um, thank you, it's nice, but you also that my idea please to you ! I do not force you to do what I say ! You can vary ideas.
Finally, if you feel it's a good idea, you can use it, of course ...

And Virt, I didn't know this site, but it is very good!
I also add more site if you're interested !

http://downloads.khinsider.com/
A great site that contains a lot of soundtrack. The quality is average, unfortunately ... it is still better when it's taken high quality on Youtube. Some remixs are included.

http://gh.ffshrine.org/soundtracks.php
He look like the same site ... even better. I feel that this Site contains slightly more music than Khinsider.

http://www.themmnetwork.com/wiki/index.php?title=Music_Archive
Warning : This site contains only MEGAMAN MUSIC. For those who know the little blue robot ... he has all the music for all the Megaman games. In very high quality !

Oh yeah, I'm sorta tired of the regular SRB2 boxes. I might include 2 versions of SonicQuest, one without the boxes and one with.

It'd be best to just have one wad be the levels and the other wad be GFX. Heck, if its not too messy for you, having music in a wad of its own would really help. I know separate wads arn't always keen for everyone, but some people (like me) can't stand downloading useless music files, and nobody's going to have an entirely separate version of a wad if all it contains is some new sprites. On a semi-related note, you really dont need a batch file for something as simple as the addfile command, and some of us still use the NET launcher since adding files still works.

Last edited:
@D00D64, yeah I'm probably going to do that. Have the music and GFX in a seperate WAD for people who just want the levels and of course one with everything in one WAD file. Also, about the ms-dos file... Some people don't use the launcher and the ms-dos file helps in certain ways: The title music plays upon starting SRB2, you can see the full custom title screen (present in Beta v0.5 which is almost done), and some other things I can't think of right now. Either way, you don't have to use the ms-dos file. It is optional. :P

SonicQuest Beta 0.5 is out!

Changelog/Feature list on main post. (Note Icicle Ridge is still in it's place-holder form. This is a feature showcase release)

Download here

New version? Ah, let's see....

Lots of pointless cosmetic shit that I won't even attempt to care about. I'll skip this...

A new level. The sector layout is still too large-scale, therefore the map is mind-numbingly empty, especially all those underwater sections. The layout itself seems pretty random and thoughtless, to be honest. Tons of platform and ridges and ledges and whatever don't have anything on them, yet for some reason they're there, and they make up a pretty big part of the map too. The waterfalls looked so unrealistic they made me laugh. The item placement it just as bad as in the other maps. Is this another port? If so, stop porting old shit and make new, decent maps. If not, stop doing the same old shit over and over and implement some of my suggestions for improvements.

Well, to be fair, you did fix the item placement in Combat Coast, which does make the map a whole deal better (even if it's still a snooze-fest). But where's the SRM? What's that one Super Ring doing out in the open? And why didn't you fix the item placement in the other maps?

You also made Emerald Valley bigger. Well, that's nice, but it's wasted effort considering the map sucks in its current form. It's more important that you finally make the layout interesting. In fact, you should work on fixing your maps instead filling this pack with tons of cosmetic crap (see above).

Oh, and why every of your maps have exactly seven emerald spawn points? They're not exactly hard to find if they always spawn in the same places, eh?

This review/rant/piece of shit was brought to you by SpiritCrusher in a failed attempt at being less boring. Please bear with me.

<D00D64-X> HA HA OH WOW
<D00D64-X> Agent Hack stole my monitors
<Mima> welcome to stealing stolen content :V
<EzerArch> Don't pay attention to D00D64-X , he's been a tad paranoid with his stuff lately.
* EzerArch runs
<D00D64-X> No, its the truth, and I have proof
<EzerArch> it'd be fun
<D00D64-X> 1: The explosion sprite on the monitors is the Advance 3 explosion, which I used because the S3&K one sucks
<D00D64-X> 2: The very same 1up monitor sprite I used ts get around indivisualized monitors swapping in between S2 style monitors and S3&K Monitor static is in here, yet the SOC for it is not, so he shouldn't even HAVE this
<D00D64-X> 3: I adjusted the monitors to brighter, better palletes, which in retrospect also screwed up the Super Ring a bit, but made the monitors look much better than the darker Genesis palletes

<D00D64-X> In otherwords, he took what I stole thinking I didn't even do anything
<D00D64-X> He could have at least ASKED me. I wouldn't have said no because... well, I stole them too :P
<D00D64-X> But no, he just takes them. Ass.
<EzerArch> D:

PROTIP: If you're gonna steal, don't try to steal in such an easy-to-tell fashion. Now get your own rips, lazy.

Also, concerning the Title screen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSU95UVZ4iA&feature=channel_video_title

<D00D64> Knuckles = Chopped Liver

EDIT:

<SADXHacker> Cool, I thought the Sonic 2 title would look weird with SRB2's pallete, But it looks better than I thought!
<SonicFreak94> I actually had to fix a little bit of it, but it wasn't too much of an issue.

...So either...
A: You stole from HIM too.
B: You somehow fixed the pallete in the exact same way, which I am calling total bollocks on.

EDIT2:

<SonicFreak94> Yeeeeah, that would have to be one hell of an accident
<SonicFreak94> The shading is exactly the same as mine
<SonicFreak94> The text is different, though, that's for sure

THE EVIDENCE IS PILING UP
...Kinda. I'm still keeping a close eye on you...

I'm sure I have more to discuss, but I'll get to the levels and other things later...

Last edited:
WOAH, how did your boxes get into my wad? Super sorry man I thought those were the same genesis boxes. I had boxes in my sprite folder and I was using yours as a base to improve upon the sonic boxes. I'll get right on taking your boxes out of there. Again really, really sorry about this mixup...

Also I found those Sonic 2 title sprites in another folder of mine. And I patched it up according to the copy of the SRB2 palette I had. Then I put in the Sonic 2 text font.

Last edited:
...I'll give you the benefit of the doubt for now, but I still have my eye on you. I'll review your maps shortly.

EDIT:

<SonicFreak94> Yup, definitely the same
<SonicFreak94> He just changed the text, D00D64-X
<SonicFreak94> They have the exact same offsets and color adjustments I made (the frames for the titlescreen)

HRMM...

Well, I dunno if he even cares anyway. *shrug*

EDIT 2:

<D00D64-X> well, aparently, he "accidentally" uploaded MY sprites instead of his own
<D00D64-X> ...even though they're also the same offsets.
<D00D64-X> which means he'd also have to see the same 1-up monitor
<D00D64-X> so either...
<D00D64-X> A: He somehow didn't notice the 1up monitor, yet he adjusted its offsets
<D00D64-X> B: He stole the lump files directly from my mod and is lying out of his ass

...So yeah, regardless of reason, go ahead and keep the monitors, I don't care. Its from S3&K anyway. Just give me credit in the wad or something.

EDIT 3: Also, you'll need this:

Thing 99
MAPTHINGNUM = -1
SPAWNSTATE = 60
SPAWNHEALTH = 1
SEESTATE = 0
SEESOUND = 0
REACTIONTIME = 8
ATTACKSOUND = 0
PAINSTATE = 0
PAINCHANCE = 0
PAINSOUND = 0
MELEESTATE = 0
MISSILESTATE = 0
DEATHSTATE = 1615
DEATHSOUND = 0
XDEATHSTATE = 0
SPEED = 131072
RADIUS = 524288
HEIGHT = 917504
MASS = 100
DAMAGE = 4063232
ACTIVESOUND = 0
RAISESTATE = 0
FLAGS = 33591824

Thing 83
MAPTHINGNUM = 409
SPAWNSTATE = 58
SPAWNHEALTH = 1
SEESTATE = 0
SEESOUND = 0
REACTIONTIME = 8
ATTACKSOUND = 0
PAINSTATE = 58
PAINCHANCE = 0
PAINSOUND = 0
MELEESTATE = 0
MISSILESTATE = 0
DEATHSTATE = 684
DEATHSOUND = 119
XDEATHSTATE = 0
SPEED = 95
RADIUS = 1048576
HEIGHT = 2097152
MASS = 100
DAMAGE = 99
ACTIVESOUND = 0
RAISESTATE = 0
FLAGS = 1048582

FRAME 684
SPRITENUMBER = 77
SPRITESUBNUMBER = 0
DURATION = 1
NEXT = 60
ACTION A_MonitorPop
VAR1 = 0
VAR2 = 0

FRAME 58
SPRITENUMBER = 342
SPRITESUBNUMBER = 2
DURATION = 2
NEXT = 59
ACTION None
VAR1 = 0
VAR2 = 0

FRAME 59
SPRITENUMBER = 342
SPRITESUBNUMBER = 3
DURATION = 2
NEXT = 58
ACTION None
VAR1 = 0
VAR2 = 0

This will fix the 1up monitor.

As for SF94's S2 title screen, you'll need to take that up with him in PMs or something.

Last edited:
It took me forever to get that thing to animate properly by getting every offset for every frame 100% perfect. So I would say yes, yes I do ;_;

Also I found those Sonic 2 title sprites in another folder of mine. And I patched it up according to the copy of the SRB2 palette I had. Then I put in the Sonic 2 text font.

This still has yet to be addressed. It's clear you used the sprites from my version of the titlescreen (with different font), which are in SF94-Serv. Same color adjustments AND sprite offsets. Identical. However, you suddenly want to do this?

Also I'm going to be changing the title screen in next release. I'm not to fond of the fact that I'm ripping off a title screen from Sonic 2.
(Source)

After I PM'd you about it, even. (which you haven't responded to) That's just one more massive coincidence. It's really getting ridiculous seeing you try to deny it any longer at this point.

It's really getting ridiculous seeing you try to deny it any longer at this point.

Uh, not even. Sometimes it's hard to get to the computer with the hectic schedule I usually have. I haven't been able to touch SonicQuest in a few days but I managed to buy some time and pieced together an update:

Wind/Hedgehog said:
Wind/Hedgehog - May 5, 2011 - New version out!
Hey guys, I'm back from my personal life :P And I've managed to piece together a new version of SonicQuest.
It's nothing special really, just some bug fixes, some stuff removed, and various things edited.

Get it here - Get more info

Also a very deep apology to SF94 and D00D64. I accidentally put D00D's Sonic 3 boxes into my Mod when I meant to put other ones. However I realised I need to work on my versions of the boxes a bit more. Here's some proof I'm getting things done:
S3-ForceShield.bmp

Also, turns out I ripped off a Sonic 2 title from off of SF94-Serv. Something I actually did not mean to do. Anyways, my bad for the rip. Won't happen again. Ever.
The site may or may not be moving to wordpress. 'Cause I'm sorta getting fed up writing HTML all the time using notepad. :P

Okay.

Emerald Coast Zone: wasn't too bad except for the fact that every weapon is everywhere. Please take out some weapons, I couldn't thok without collecting something. And those spring 'x's are just ugly.

Icicle Zone (CTF map): As far as I could tell, this map is REALLY small. Like red and blue start out right next to eachother. Right now you can just rush the other team and get their flag.

The random floating waterfalls on South Island zone are plain UGLY.

And I couldn't find the flags in Combat Coast zone.

Uh, not even. Sometimes it's hard to get to the computer with the hectic schedule I usually have.

But you were on a few times, and made a post on another forum. A quick response to at least show some acknowledgement isn't too much to ask for, is it? It also doesn't explain the post I quoted, especially with its timing.

But, I guess it doesn't matter anymore. As long as it's been dealt with, I suppose my business here is done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back