Won't Fix Adding a file that's outside SRB2 directory in MP kicks the server out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ezer'Arch

ArchPack 2.5 is on the way
I'm the server in multiplayer mode with no players and try to addfile a wad that is outside of SRB2 directory. Say:

- srb2win.exe is in C:/Games/srb2/
- a remote wad, like C:/Repos/srb2/levelpack/wadname.wad

Then, I'd use addfile "..\..\Repos\srb2\levelpack\wadname.wad".

First, I get kicked with the message: "The server added a file (filename.wad) that you do not have. Press ESC".

Sometimes, if I try to host soon afterwards, I get "consistency failure" and the character gets incontrollable (either he's frozen or moves alone).

Adding a remote file in single player works perfectly. That's why I'm bugreporting it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wait, why are you typing the entire directory in from root? If you just type the directory in from your SRB2 folder (levelpack\wadname.wad), it'll recognize it.

That said, attempting it in that fashion did not reproduce the bug, nor did it happen when I typed the full directory name without relative directory characters(..\). Were you doing this from a dedicated server? Does the same thing happen when you type the directory from the SRB2 folder? What happens if you type the directory name explicitly, including the drive name?

Last edited:
Wait, why are you typing the entire directory in from root? If you just type the directory in from your SRB2 folder (levelpack\wadname.wad), it'll recognize it.
I don't even think you need to do that. As far as I can tell, SRB2 automatically searches every directory within the SRB2 folder for a file, so you can just type in the filename and it should still find it. The only situation I can think of in which you'd want to include any directories in the command line is if you had different WADs with the same name in different parts of the directory.

If you just type the directory in from your SRB2 folder (levelpack\wadname.wad), it'll recognize it.

I know I don't need to type entire directory in from root if the file is within srb2 directory. But file is outside the srb2 directory.

C:/Games/srb2/srb2win.exe
C:/Repos/srb2/levelpack/wadname.wad

That said, attempting it in that fashion did not reproduce the bug, nor did it happen when I typed the full directory name without relative directory characters(..\).
I think you know "..\" means "go to the parent directory".

Were you doing this from a dedicated server?
I was not.

Does the same thing happen when you type the directory from the SRB2 folder?
It always worked for me, as usual, if the file is within SRB2 directory. :>

What happens if you type the directory name explicitly, including the drive name?
Same thing: it works only in SP; in MP I get kicked.

Note: the file is not in SRB2 folder nor in a folder within SRB2 folder. The file is outside SRB2 folder. And error doesn't happen in single player.

Last edited:
(O noes, they discovered my crime... o.O')

Let me explain: I have a file synch/backup program. A folder of my hard drive is the file synch directory. Any file or folder I drop in there, the program will make a backup and other computers (assigned in this file synch program) will receive the same files, and still there's an online backup, so I can access my important files from any computer that is not assigned in my file synch.

Even if all my PCs have a total data loss, I won't lose anything that is important for me.

Obviously SRB2 isn't saved in the file synch directory. I don't want to expend 1GB of my file sharing.

In my attempt to do this, I used Rosy.wad

It did crash my server adding a file from the 'C:\' directory while I was running SRB2 in the 'H:\SRB2 2.0.6' directory.

My error was: "Checksum mismatch while loading file 'Rosy.wad'. The server seems to have a different version of this file."

I was also hosting the server.

For now, Ezer, setup a Symbolic Link between a folder in your SRB2 directory (first parameter) and your wad folder (second parameter) and see how that works for you till this is fixed.

Last edited:
Ah, sorry about the misunderstanding; I thought that you were referring to files in subdirectories.

I've given it a whirl with the new instructions, and it happened just like you said. Additionally, if you have a matching copy of the wad in the actual SRB2 directory, it'll work but display a period and slash as part of the name of the file added. I haven't been able to get the consfail/inability to move to happen yet though, is there anything else you can tell me about that?

Last edited:
I'm not sure what STJr has done since I left, but I remember there only being so much space in the packet that the server sends out listing the WADs that are loaded. If you're putting directory names in there, you're using up even more of the space, likely limiting you to only having one or two custom WADs added.

Why is it putting directory names in there anyway? Wads could easily be in different locations for different users.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back