Flame's topic full of questions!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Net play problems

Flame_the_hedgehog said:
i use AOL
There is your entire problem. AOL is one of the worst ISPs on the planet, and would make you lag to high heaven guaranteed with SRB2's really crappy netcode. Pretty much you'll need a different ISP if you want to netplay without lagging.

SURE. Insult my spelling. Bastard ^_~

Mystic said:
Flame_the_hedgehog said:
i use AOL
There is your entire problem. AOL is one of the worst ISPs on the planet, and would make you lag to high heaven guarunteed with SRB2's really crappy netcode. Pretty much you'll need a different ISP if you want to netplay without lagging.

You're on a roll, Mystic, aren't you? :wink:

Back on-topic - what would the best connection types be for SRB2 netplay? I mean like dial-up, DSL, Cable and such.

Neo Chaotikal said:
Back on-topic - what would the best connection types be for SRB2 netplay? I mean like dial-up, DSL, Cable and such.
Any kind of broadband is fine. If you aren't using dial-up, you should be able to play a decent game. Whether SRB2 is screwing up and lagging ANYWAYS is a different story, but at least it won't be your connection's fault.

Mystic said:
Neo Chaotikal said:
Any kind of broadband is fine. If you aren't using dial-up, you should be able to play a decent game. Whether SRB2 is screwing up and lagging ANYWAYS is a different story, but at least it won't be your connection's fault.
Which brings us to another story: after unsuccesful join attempts that disrupt the game's consistency (read: lag), sometimes the effects (lag) remain after a short period of time, or sometimes until the next map change. This is vaguely known as "after-lag". Why does this happen?

EDIT:
Flame_the_hedgehog said:
so wait, what your saying is that i cant use AOL while im playing SRB2?
what about internet explorer?
Wait, you mean AOL Browser!? I'm not seeing that screwing up netgames...

Neo Chaotikal said:
Which brings us to another story: after unsuccesful join attempts that disrupt the game's consistency (read: lag), sometimes the effects (lag) remain after a short period of time, or sometimes until the next map change. This is vaguely known as "after-lag". Why does this happen?
Because SRB2's netcode is not the best on Earth, shall we say.

Flame_the_hedgehog said:
i use a brodband connection and its called belkin
it connects to the internet automatically (i dont really need AOL)

so wait, what your saying is that i cant use AOL while im playing SRB2?
what about internet explorer?
Using AOL's browser shouldn't make a difference at all. I assumed you meant you used AOL's horrible dialup internet service. If you're lagging still with a broadband connection, check to see what you're running that accesses the internet. If you're downloading something or running a bunch of instant messanger programs that can slow your connection down. Personally I suggest disconnecting from all non-essential internet services before playing SRB2 online.

Flame_the_hedgehog said:
ok :D thank you Mystic, hope to see you online (not lagging i hope)
(please join my server. (in my sig))

Mystic? Playing online? Haven't heard such a great jo... actually, that's not a bad idea! I'd like to spar with you once, Mystic. Hope I have the chance, while we're both still alive. I doubt it.

EDIT: I hope you won't mind:
Mystic said:
If you're downloading something or running a bunch of instant messanger programs that can slow your connection down.
:roll:
Mystic said:
I do proofread. I just always miss something stupid.
Mess... anger. Messanger. Gotta remind that one.

This is a glitch in SRB2, probably attributed to it not closing the ports correctly after searching for games on the master server. After exiting the "Join Game (Search)" menu, be sure to choose the "End Game" option before attempting to host a game. That should fix it.

Neo Chaotikal said:
Flame_the_hedgehog said:
ok :D thank you Mystic, hope to see you online (not lagging i hope)
(please join my server. (in my sig))

Mystic? Playing online? Haven't heard such a great jo... actually, that's not a bad idea! I'd like to spar with you once, Mystic. Hope I have the chance, while we're both still alive. I doubt it.

Lets just say...
:mrgreen:
Mystic actually does play every now and then, frequently during contest voting sessions. Yes, he usually does PWN everybody, but then again...
netgame8am.png

Yes, thats an old picture from 1.08, and the course wasnt exactly finished (although i dont think it was him who won)
Now, it may seem like im bragging, let me tell you this...
I had a one on one recently with the big guy. When theres a bomb ring in the house, 650 to 550, in his favor, pretty decent, IMO. However, if a rail ring is there....
to...
PM me to find out what my score was before Mystic ruins it all and tells everybody :P.

First of all, you should check if you're playing the same version of SRB2. 1.09 games will not show up on 1.09.1 and vice-versa.

Make sure that, when creating a server through the "Host Game" menu, "Advertise on the Internet" is set to "Yes". Otherwise the game will not show up on the Master Server, and no one will know it's running.

If this is not your problem, then check if you (or your friend) have a firewall protecting your computer. If you have, either forward UDP ports 5029 and 5030 (options for port forwarding should be in some sort of 'Advanced' options menu), or temporarily disable the firewall while playing. Some firewalls may also block srb2win.exe from accessing the Internet - use the appropriate menu to allow access.

Note that Windows XP uses its own firewall, which, if active, needs to have the reffered UDP ports open too, aswell as allowing srb2win.exe to access the Internet.

If this doesn't help, check whether you're connected to the internet. *shot*

Feel free to add more info, since this is not really my strong point.

The ports SRB2 uses are currently in use. Close other internet-using applications and try again.

Well I'm stumped. Help?

One more thing - SRB2 displays all the games the master server page shows. However, it filters out the games depending on the version. For instance, the page will show games of version 1.09.0 and 1.09.1, but SRB2 1.09 will only show 1.09.0 and SRB2 1.09.1 will only show 1.09.1.

So, just check the master server page, no need to check both it and SRB2.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Back