Fixed [2.1.15] FlipCam2 is not initialized

Status
Not open for further replies.
In both the public "next" (tested) and "master" branches of the source code, as well as the released compiled 2.1.14 (tested), the console variable FLIPCAM2... exists, but is not initialized, and thus can't be used or set, meaning player 2's third-person camera in split-screen can't flip in reverse gravity (without Lua mods).

This error can be fixed in the file src/r_main.c. For "next", it's at line 1390. For "master", it's at line 1403. In both cases, duplicating the line "CV_RegisterVar(&cv_flipcam);" and adding "2" after "flipcam" should fix it. I have tried this, successfully, with the "next" branch, however I have not tried with the "master" branch.
As I am unable to sign up properly on GitLab (the confirmation e-mail hasn't been sent after a month), I can't make a merge request, and as such I've come here instead. I don't know whether this will break net-compatibility at all (due to slightly offset console variables after adding a variable in the middle), but I don't really see how it would. But be careful with fixing this for the "master" branch.

Yes, I know, lack of support for a feature is not a bug... but there is support for the feature, the feature just isn't initialized due to a missing line, so I consider it a bug. Apologies if it doesn't count as one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Confirmation emails are eaten by Microsoft's mail servers (they don't trust us for some reason - I ran into this same problem when interacting with the team for the first time). If you have a Gmail account, use that instead.

Confirmation emails are eaten by Microsoft's mail servers
...That's really sad. It doesn't show up in junk mail, and I don't have any "git" related thing in my block list. Is there really no way to get the confirmation e-mail besides using a different mail service than Outlook?

It's really annoying, I know. MY MICROSOFT #Brand IS DILUTED THROUGH HAVING TO USE MY GMAIL FOR SRB2 DEVELOPMENT...

You should probably just have a spare GMail for account signups where your Outlook burns incoming untrustable mail, or for places that will likely send you tons of spam. The benefits (a handful) outweigh the costs (zero).

Yeah I wouldn't call this a bug, the flipcam2 console variable just isn't registered so it can't be used in the console. There's usually a reason for such a command or variable not to be made readily available, though I have no idea what it is for this case.

On a slightly related note, "splitscreen" used to exist as a console variable also, but has since been disabled by not registering it. Probably so we don't get splitscreen toggling in netgames or Single Player I imagine. Do we count this unregistered consvar as a bug too? Of course not, so neither should flipcam2's case be one IMO.

The difference is splitscreen is obviously never meant to be used by the player, while flipcam2 is a splitscreen clone of flipcam, a cvar which is registered, expected to be used, and serves a useful purpose. Unless there's some other reason why it isn't registered, there's no reason for this to be marked invalid. Don't just assume something's meant to be a certain way if it looks fishy, especially if it's inconsistent with other things of its kind.

Well, finished getting my account up by using GMail. I seem unable to make merge requests to the official STJr/SRB2 project (which is probably a good thing, considering I break stuff), but I do have commits on a fork, showing changes that could be done: master / next

Also, Monster Iestyn, as RedEnchilada said, FlipCam2 is a split-screen player 2 version of FlipCam, which has this description on the wiki:
Determines whether or not the view of the screen (except for the hud) should flip vertically when the player is in reverse gravity, allowing the game to appear as if in normal gravity.
As such, I really don't see why not to add FlipCam2 for the game. You can easily "compare" FlipCam2 to Color2 or Skin2 or even SetControl2. All of them are pretty useful. Personally, I think FlipCam2 was just accidentally not initialized.

Last edited:
I think it's more that for the longest time, post-processing didn't work in splitscreen, so it was included and left "commented out" per se since it wouldn't be able to do anything at the time.

Of course, now that it works...

犬夜叉;775859 said:
I think it's more that for the longest time, post-processing didn't work in splitscreen, so it was included and left "commented out" per se since it wouldn't be able to do anything at the time.
...I suppose that might make sense.

犬夜叉;775859 said:
Of course, now that it works...
Yup, I can confirm it works. At least for the "next" branch in OpenGL.
VRofvSD.png

FlipCam is turned off to show reverse gravity (so don't think something's wrong in the screenshot), and FlipCam2 is turned on to flip Player 2's camera. FlipCam can of course be combined with FlipCam2 at will.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back