2.2 Preview - With Slopes!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mystic

Posted by Mystic on 02-12-2016 1:11 AM. I miss the automatic post generation script :(
Development on new content is still quite slow, but this time there's actually a good reason that isn't just us playing too many other games. While these screenshots don't show it, there are also a dramatic amount of minor (and some major) changes under the hood that improve a lot of the engine.

feb16a.png

By far the most dramatic improvement since the last post is slopes. Yes, really! They even feature proper physics! This feature is pretty game-changing, and will take a while to implement in all of the stages that need it, so stages are given priority for retrofitting, with Greenflower and Arid Canyon currently the highest priority.

feb16b.png

What may be even more exciting to some of our long-time players is that because of slopes, Greenflower 1 is finally getting a proper update. This update is pretty similar in method as the updates to Techno Hill 1 for 2.1. Priorities for the revamp include better teaching our game's mechanics to newbies while also providing rewards for skilled play. Time attack in particular is a lot more complicated, with actual timing and skill being required instead of just thokking down an optimal route.

feb16c.png
While Greenflower is getting a retrofit, Castle Eggman 1 is way too bad for any sort of retrofit to fix the problems it has. Thus, it's getting completely remade, as shown in this old work in progress shot. We don't want to provide too many specifics to preserve the surprise when it is finally ready to go, but expect something actually fun. Hopefully the third time will be the charm on this one.

feb16d.png

Finally, here's a shot of Arid Canyon 2, complete with some slopes in action in a new stage. While there are still too many visual quirks for us to show you the mine carts in action, the stage overall is coming together quite nicely. Expect expansion on the ideas and gimmicks in act 1, but with a bit more challenge this time.

Like every preview we post, things shown off here are subject to change before release. Hopefully we can get you another update in less than a year this time.
As a reminder to everyone, discussing known information and speculating based on that information is okay, but don't go on tangents or make baseless speculation or absurd claims. To start off the thread, here are the answers to the questions I KNOW half of you are dying to ask yet again:

1. There is no release date. Asking will not change that. Making stupid jokes about how long it'll take will also get you infracted.
2. The netcode is still just as shitty as it ever was.

Keep things civil and intelligent, for everyone's sake.

Wow, things are looking pretty great! New spring sprites are nice and GFZ1 looks actually fun now. The new CEZ1 looks great so far, especially that sick skybox. I hope it's as fun to play as it is good looking!
Cheers!

Last edited:
Wow, I'm astonished at the new look for Greenflower Zone and Castle Eggman Zone. I really love how open Greenflower Zone seems to look now and I can't wait to see more progress on the new Castle Eggman Zone! As always, I'm really impressed. Especially with the new direction SRB2 is going in.

Plus is there a new palette or is Tails' colors just look different. Could be because I'm on my phone, but if you guys can shed some light on that subject that would be cool.

There is indeed a new palette, although it's hard to tell in any of these shots. Just look at the palette information for any of the shots except CEZ's to see what the palette was changed to. (CEZ1's shot is actually taken in 2.1 as the level hasn't been updated to handle the change yet)

Also, Red just hates the visuals to anything he makes. You can safely ignore his shitposting =P

WOW! That's a massive update for every zone (especially CEZ). Im still hoping for png support on 2.2. I really don't care about how much will take a new version for Srb2 and im not a fan of rushing too.

Holy crap, this is awesome guys, finally an update, pretty excited , can't wait for it !

digging those Slope Ropes™ and GFZ finally looking fresh and interesting. can't wait to check out all the new stuff when this gets released!

Mystic please fire whoever is in charge of that shitstain of a visual job on ACZ2
Please do the same to the one responsible for the visual changes in GFZ1 and 2, they also look like complete trash

I have no idea why there are so many self-loathing devs in this topic, I'm really proud of that new palette and GFZ grass I gone and done did made. (mystic is a silly though, there IS a cez1 in the new palette kicking around somewhere)

If you want to reproduce the effects of the grass, I reduced the contrast and layered some stretched static on top, and I'm susprised someone didn't try it sooner - it's a lot more aesthetically pleasing with less outright brightness, considering the rest of the stage.

Damn, that GFZ1 looks so pretty, it's nice to finally see it change after so much time. Also, I wasn't expecting slopes to be used THAT much on levels right away, I thought it would take some updates. But that's cool, I mean who doesn't want to mess around with them? Thanks for the update guys, you've done a great job on this game once again. Can't wait to see how that CEZ1 will turn out.

Ok, let's see this preview an- HOLY SHIT, THAT'S GFZ AND CEZ?! *puts a shit ton of gold stars everywhere*

But, seriously, I think 2.2 is the biggest update yet, even with the changed springs lol.

WOW, These new levels are complete eye candy!

GFZ now has a proper sky, and if my eyes aren't deceiving me the grass texture seems to have been updated a little bit, and while I'm still not a fan of the GFZ rock texture it somehow matches the environment better this time around due to the level not looking so simple in design.

CEZ's textures are looking absolutely beautiful (MY EYES ARE MELTING!), and that skybox is just perfect, 10/10!

Slopes look very well implemented here, and you guys are even getting very creative with the slope code in ACZ2 via the ropes.

2.2 is gonna be worth the wait! :3

I don't even know what to say to how beautiful this looks.
I do have some tiny nitpicks, though; GFZ1 still looks a bit bland when it comes to the floor, despite this texture already looking better than the one we've had since... meh, just some years, and these walls in ACZ2 look bland too; perhaps putting some variation of the texture with... rock over it? I don't really know. On the other hand, I'm seriously digging for that CEZ remade from scratch! 2.1's already made it look better; but this one's hopefully gonna be the one to stay!

Also I'm sad we don't have a minecart screenshot ;(

As cool as these screenshots look I can't help but feel like there's a lot of "slopes for the sake of slopes" already. It is pretty impressive to look at the changes though. But, Deep Sea progress? I don't see any. T_T (Unless that "proper physics" gif is Deep Sea, in which case, wat)

Regardless it's crazy to see how far SRB2 is going with this stuff. Pretty sure there was a time when the devs said "nope no slopes ever" and look at the game now. Heck, sprites are updated and all kinds of other things are being improved upon and it seems this update only scratched the surface. It's pretty hype.

...Although, ideally you can keep the updates coming for only so long if the netcode isn't going to get any real improvements over 2.1's. Online is a massive part of SRB2, and with lua the possibilities are endless. Seeing that transfer over so that it actually works properly would set the potential SRB2 has in stone for definite. Nnnnnot really saying "PLS DO THIS" or anything tho.

Last edited:
But, Deep Sea progress? I don't see any. T_T (Unless that "proper physics" gif is Deep Sea, in which case, wat)
In the previous 2.2 update thread or something, that "proper physics" gif was shown, and explained to be the new Deep Sea Zone Act 1 (or Act 2? I think it was Act 1).

Please do the same to the one responsible for the visual changes in GFZ1 and 2, they also look like complete trash

I'd say too the layered park grass texture looks heinous in the screenshots, especially with the slopes. You would do well to replace them already.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back