A Trio of 2.2 Tidbits

Status
Not open for further replies.
Every time I come back on here after being gone for a while, something new and exciting always happens. First it was slopes, now it's loops? I can't wait to see what's next!

Loops don't work unless you use Zoom Tubes. Still, sorry that this got your hopes up. It's cool visuals, but because the control direction never changes to go onto the ceiling you're left stuck at the top of the half pipe component.

Plus, y'know, you can always just jump through them in 3D.

Look to history; the politicians say they’re right

ZzGteW2.png

the future is here, and its name is nameless base
the future

Even if loops were a thing, where would you even shove them in vanilla??And besides, loops are just a waste of time both in level making and playthrough, you don't even play during loops... at least to me.

Even if loops were a thing, where would you even shove them in vanilla??And besides, loops are just a waste of time both in level making and playthrough, you don't even play during loops... at least to me.

At the moment, I figured they could just be scenery for skyboxes. They're there purely to look cool.

I'm really more for the slopes than any current loop functionality at the moment, so really, I'm content with them as the skybox. This can be SSBB Green Hill Zone if it wants

I'm really more for the slopes than any current loop functionality at the moment, so really, I'm content with them as the skybox. This can be SSBB Green Hill Zone if it wants
Yeah, slopes should be the priority here, as they'll make for some fun level design. We really don't need loops, as they're glorified zoom tubes if you think about it. At least in 2D Sonic titles, you could actually use them for a speed boost by jumping mid-way in the loop and spinning as you land, but in 3D that would be near impossible. Also, Remember Sonic '06? I remember you could easily end up running off the loop and to your death, and trying the trick I just mentioned wouldn't work and would likely kill you as well. For now, loops should just stay as decorations.

Umm. Will these things be in 2.2?
I think so
SRB2 Wiki said:
Slopes and appropriate physics for them have been added to SRB2 and will be included from 2.2 onwards. So far they are only rendered in Software mode. Among the capabilities of SRB2's slopes are support for FOFs (including translucent ones), vertex-based slopes and dynamic slopes whose angle can be changed at runtime.[11]

I wonder if the devs have made ceiling running a thing. That could be used for an instance where the player would be discouraged from simply jumping through a loop.

btwww2Z.jpg

I wonder if the devs have made ceiling running a thing. That could be used for an instance where the player would be discouraged from simply jumping through a loop.

Loops shouldn't be necessarily used for Singleplayer levels .

We have not. Don't get your hopes up with transferring between slopes and walls, or onto the ceiling, because it's not happening.

I swear, I've had to keep on coming into this topic and derail the hype train for basically the same thing multiple times over the past few days. Point someone to this post whenever they inevitably fail to read the rest of the most recent pages before getting their slopes up.

Here's an illustrative representation of what you currently can do with slopes in SRB2:
slopes.png

Here's an illustrative representation of what you currently can do with slopes in SRB2:

The lowest part of the Picture kinda reflects the current state of the game, you can't look down in software mode :P .

He's probably talking about not forcing players to get into the loop, Like a Zoom Tube action which can be canceled by pressing the jump button .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back