Custom Abilities Suggestion Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would like to remind you (collective) that abilities need a drawback to being used, Nomekop's speed burst suggestion is a prime example of what we're not looking for, because there's no drawback to using it, whereas Kay's firingrate suggestion is a good one, as it means that increased firing rate means lowered jump height.

I am trying to make it so I can make a samus character.

How about you can't turn when Boosting? (Instead you strafe slowly)

~Projectile~
(Other Ability)

You can fire when not in match, however you can't damage enemies by jumping on them.

Last edited:
Here's an idea: Decoy. This move would allow a character to create a copy of themselves, which will have primitive AI, and will randomly move, jump, stop, spindash, etc. While the decoy is alive, enemies would be fooled into going for it, and leave you alone. The decoy cannot collect rings, and will die on contact with an enemy, at which point the enemies will realize they've been tricked and chase you once more...until you use the move again. Perhaps the move could cost rings?

Here's an idea: Decoy. This move would allow a character to create a copy of themselves, which will have primitive AI, and will randomly move, jump, stop, spindash, etc. While the decoy is alive, enemies would be fooled into going for it, and leave you alone. The decoy cannot collect rings, and will die on contact with an enemy, at which point the enemies will realize they've been tricked and chase you once more...until you use the move again. Perhaps the move could cost rings?

Yeah, abilities like that should cost a certain amount of rings. 5 maybe?

TD Float: Float up and down slowly, but when you go down, you are vulnerable to objects under you
Wall Bounce: Another Tails Doll based ability.
When you are at your top speed, and crash into a wall, you will bounce off, unable to move until your speed gets to 0,

reprogram:

(replaces ring throwing)

creates an explosion that causes enemies within a certain radius to turn against each other and stop hurting you. but using it causes you to lose 10 rings. does not work on bosses.

chaos control:

(double jump action)

causes the colors to look distorted such as when in srb2JTE, and causes the player to be affected by low gravity, as well as slows down enemies and projectiles. uses 3 rings per second, but double jumping again turns it off. the timer in the HUD would also slow down during use. in netgames, it would be disabled in everything but coop, and when used it would affect all players at the expense of there rings as well. it ends when the player that activated it turns it off or runs out of rings.

Last edited:
Thrust: Perform a brief, damaging dash on the ground at fixed speed before returning to standard running state. Has shorter range and less potential than a traditional spindash, but can be used repeatedly (with an adjustable delay between re-use) and is capable of rapid direction changes for turn-on-a-dime cornering and fake-out tactics.

Lunge: Similar to above, but stops the player to an absolute standstill when the attack is finished. Generally even slower and shorter range, but better for more traditional melee applications such as a swing with Amy's hammer.

Chaos Control: Charges exactly like a spindash, but instead teleports you directly forwards a set distance depending on how long you charge (with adjustable maximum teleport distance). The time it takes to charge typically only makes it useful for short range warps, as charging for long range (even if allowed) takes a long time and makes you an easy target, and even after warping you're left at a standstill and open to attack from a quick-thinking opponent.

Grapple: Okay, I already did this one but I thought I'd revise it a bit. The ability has both midair and grounded variants which, when activated, constantly pulls you towards a target you're aiming at until the ability is deactivated. This includes walls, scenery, item monitors and even other players. The main drawbacks are it's limited range, difficulty of usage and heavy accuracy requirements, but when mastered the move is capable of travelling across walls and ceilings quickly, keeping pace with speedy enemy players and generally possessing accessibilty to most areas as long as there's something to latch onto nearby.

Ledge grab: If the character barely misses a jump and falls short, they will be able to grab the ledge and haul themselves up with a small jump. The obvious disadvantage of this is that it removes the capability for standard midair moves such as thokking.

Triangle jump: Executed similarly to the thok. If a player touches a wall after the jump button is pressed in midair, the character latches to the wall similarly to Knux's wall climb, but can't move on the wall and is facing sideways rather than towards the wall. The character can then jump off the wall freely and leap to a higher, otherwise inacessible area or (if multiability is enabled) latch straight onto another wall within reach. Outside of wall jumping, the triangle jump carries no advantage over Thok moves, being slower and shorter reach (or maybe even not assisting momentum at all).

Pinball: Has both midair and grounded variants. When activated, the ability removes all player control and forces a spinball state - when the player hits a wall or damageable object (like an enemy or item monitor), it causes damage and the player bounces off, and the process repeats until the player deactivates the process again. The effect is similar in the midair variant, only the player bounces repeatedly off the floor at variable height (depending on how high the user was when the move was triggered) as well as the effects of the ground variant. This move is absolutely devastating and unpredictable in certain circumstances, but the user is hardly invulnerable - a ranged attack can easily punish its usage, and the presence of level hazards (particularly death pits) generally discourages Pinball usage for risk of unavoidably killing yourself.

Swoop: Another revision of a previous ability I mentioned. In midair, the player will dive in a down-and-up movement, causing damage to anything along the way, but cancelling out into running state with maintained momentum if the ground is touched before the lowest point of the dive. The depth of the dive and the overall distance covered is variable and can be altered per character. In any case, the ability is somewhat risk-and-reward material, and requires relatively high ground to cover longer distances, but can otherwise be a good fake-out move when you need to get to lower ground quickly.

Last edited:
Split Multiability and Nospinjump! I have a character who has a special doublejump but I don't want him to be able to triple jump.

If you don't split Multiability and Nospinjump then at least have a seperate Nospinjump.

Also, Bounce attack FTW.

TD Float: Float up and down slowly, but when you go down, you are vulnerable to objects under you
Wall Bounce: Another Tails Doll based ability.
When you are at your top speed, and crash into a wall, you will bounce off, unable to move until your speed gets to 0,

Senku Niola socced a custom ability in 1.09.4 that did something similar to that. The difference, however, is that his was basically a zero-speed thok that made you bounce back if you were right up against a wall. It's a real shame that it doesn't work in 2.0...it rocked!

Senku Niola socced a custom ability in 1.09.4 that did something similar to that. The difference, however, is that his was basically a zero-speed thok that made you bounce back if you were right up against a wall. It's a real shame that it doesn't work in 2.0...it rocked!
It does work, it's jsut not in Senku's current release.

Fawful it still works in 2.0 I just aint releasing it anytime soon till I'm happy with the wad.

Anyways hmm.... Well this is kinda random and all plus it'd kinda be a play on of either fly or slow fall.

Fly/Slow Fall Charge: Hold spin to charge up (frames might be an issue, spin frames? # ability frames?), when you let go you fly into the air (# ability frames?). Height dependent on length held (Works like spindash but vertical) (Probably want to add a cap so we don't hit 4096+), you can control yourself as much as you can with flying or slow fall when going up (Ya know, forward, backward, strafe, turn).

Slow Fall Version: You can hold the spin button to slowly fall down, if you press/hold the spin button when going up it cancels going up any higher. Pressing jump puts you into fall frames, canceling the ability (You can't regain the ability midair after pressing jump).

Fly Version: Would be just like fly works, course you can fly while it's going up to the peak height, but the flight time goes down when the charge is released, to try and make up for the extra height.

Example: http://www.sendspace.com/file/a139xb

Hold Up and press jump (z). Up to go up while flying, jump to go into fall animation. Press up in air to fly normally.

It might be that the ability only works well in 2D, but ya never know, it's a pretty unique ability.

Last edited:
Remember that suggestion I made earlier? Where if you're about to land on an enemy from a stopped glide, tails getting tired from flying too long, or all the characters landing from a spring launch you're pretty much screwed? You can do what they did in Mega Mix. Push the spindash button while in the air to go into a roll so you can bop badniks instead of facing an unfortunate fate by landing on them and getting hurt. Catch my drift? Also this is good if you want to crack open a monitor on the fly if you're about to land on one. I think everyone would like that and would prove itself a handy tool.

I hate how the flag-toss-thok thing got taken out. Now I can't monitor hop on some CTF stages like before. >_>

Last edited:
I had another idea: How about something like a Thok that would send you in whatever direction you're looking if you're in mouselook? That way, you could thok upwards, diagonally, and just towards anywhere you're really looking. The "drawback" that would be used to balance this would be the higher you aim your thok, the less horizontal speed you would get. Maybe not, I'm still coming up with something to balance it but it's at least a start, right?

What *I* Want. (Note: I haven't read most of the above posts)

Ringslinger - Replaces Spindash, Lowers Stats, Costs Rings.

Float (Super Ability) - Hold Jump to slowly rise, and Spindash to slowly fall. Can only be used while Super. (Perhaps being above 1.2x Jumpheight could drain rings slightly faster?)

Skid (Drawback?) - Pressing the opposite direction will make your character skid to a stop, instead of stop immediately. (Or, in Analogue Mode, make it a greater than 90 degree turn.)
Basically: Think the 2d Sonic game's skids.

Grappling Hook (Replaces Thok/Fly/Glide) - Using this ability will send something out a small distance infront, and if it hits something, you will be taken to it, Zelda: Phantom Hourglass style. If it hits a player, they get knocked away a bit, but not hurt. (Like hitting those shielded enemies in Z:PH)
Basically: Use this on a wall to get pulled. Use this on a player to push a player.

Homing Downgrade (Makin' things less overpowered) - With Homing, instead of going straight to the enemy, hover in the air for 0.5-1 seconds before attacking, Super Smash Bros: Brawl style. (Use Sonic's B to see what i'm on about.)
Basically: Sonic hovers in the air before homing in.

Upgraded Melee Attack (Replaces Spindash) - A better melee attack with a somewhat wider range. You can choose how many directions it covers, starting from straight infront, but the more directions it covers, the less range it has. Also can only be used once per X.X seconds. Breaks walls. (Having all 8 directions will have slightly larger than a spindash range, while having just 2 directions (45 degrees infront) will have about 2.5 the range, maybe? (Feel free to change to whatever is less overpowered)
Basically: Melee attack covers X directions. The more directions it covers, the less range.

Flutter (Replaces Thok/Fly/Glide) - Alright, so this is a Mario ability, but I thought it'd do good here. It's kind of like the Wirlwind shield in a way. Press Jump in midair to flutter and gain a little height. If falling, the flutter will slower the fall a little until a tiny upward momentum is being made. Can be used multiple times in 1 jump, but there is a delay before use.
Basically: Jump in midair to slowly stop. Think of Yoshi's Flutter Kick in Yoshi's Island.

That's about it. Imma thinking of more~

Homing Downgrade (Makin' things less overpowered) - With Homing, instead of going straight to the enemy, hover in the air for 0.5-1 seconds before attacking, Super Smash Bros: Brawl style. (Use Sonic's B to see what i'm on about.)
Basically: Sonic hovers in the air before homing in.

To work off of this, an aim-able homing attack. Hold jump in midair and you can turn left and right, so you can choose the direction to home into. Let go and of course you start homing, if whatever is in range.

Also please friggen make homing attack itself stop homing on things to the SIDE of the player, and more towards in FRONT of them. :/

Super Abilitys are coming up!

~Phantom Ring~
(Super Ability)
While in superform, you don't use up rings when you shoot.

~Super Flight~
(Super Ability)
While jumping, you can press the spin button to hover like Super Sonic.

~Hyper Flight~
(Super Ability)
While super, hold the jump button to fly upwards, much like Metal Sonic in JTE.

Note: You default to your improved ability if a super ability is not chosen.

(Do you guys like my style of listing?)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back