Invalid Game crashes when polyobject crushers crush against each other.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monster Iestyn

Fangtastic
srb20044-1.png

I wanted to make these two big bookcases (made with polyobjects) crush together to crush you when you walk inbetween them.

srb20045.png

When they crush together without anything between them, it all seems fine.

srb20046.png

But when you are inbetween them when they crush together...

"signal_handler(): segment violation"

Last edited by a moderator:
Let's not be too hasty... could you post an example wad?

No, unfortunately.

I've tried to make one to post here, but these two polyobject crushers seem to want to kill the player instead of the game this time. o_O

In other words, I can't seem to recreate the crash. Instead, these polyobject crushers decided to work perfectly to mess with my head. Ouch. D=

src/r_draw8.c:259
Code:
*dest = colormap[val];
  488ec9:       8b 55 e0                mov    0xffffffe0(%ebp),%edx
  488ecc:       0f b6 c0                movzbl %al,%eax
  488ecf:       8a 04 02                mov    (%edx,%eax,1),%al
  488ed2:       8b 55 ec                mov    0xffffffec(%ebp),%edx
  488ed5:       88 02                   mov    %al,(%edx)

Your error is a problem with the software renderer, not the PolyObjects themselves. Although there is an issue with the two crushing together, too. I suggest you use an appearing/disappearing FOF and appear it a tic or so before one side crushes together, that should work as a temporary workaround.

Your error is a problem with the software renderer, not the PolyObjects themselves. Although there is an issue with the two crushing together, too. I suggest you use an appearing/disappearing FOF and appear it a tic or so before one side crushes together, that should work as a temporary workaround.

Doesn't matter now; I've changed that section of the map so they don't hit each other anymore anyway. =P

That wouldn't have been a good solution, because appearing/disappearing FOFs don't trigger SRB2's crush check unless the player moves while inside one. In other words, if you stood perfectly still, the crushers wouldn't affect you.

EDIT: Oh wait, I don't think that's what you meant. But even so, it's never a good idea to let FOFs and PolyObjects mingle...it can really make everything glitch up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back