How did you get your username?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kitoko

One curious question I have is.. How did you manage to come up with the name you take for granted? Is it a reference to something? Is it just something you randomly typed up? Is it a name you picked when you were just a kid, and now regret it? Feel free to share your thoughts and the amazing history behind names.

When I was a kid (Around 13) I wanted a name to represent myself when I did things. I did eventually come up with the nickname Kitoko, which eventually became the name of a character. No, this is not a fan character, it was a little fox that I was building a possible story that I wanted to write up later in the future, homing on his life and how he grew up a in a town that was in siege. Later on, that started to become more of a common nickname, which I used on my DSi that I got for Christmas. The reason I picked Kitoko because it was a name for "beautiful", because it was something i felt i lacked in, which was beauty. It was more of a fantasy story that later turned into a deep sense of ingenuity. I still have some of the original story written down somewhere in a diary I used to have (Although it's probably lost forever in the closet) I eventually started using that as my general nickname all across internet websites, my main alias. It's never usually taken, generally wherever I go, so I stuck with it.

Mine was just based on an old fan-character, who I no longer use but I kept the name. it's simple and effective.

I once thought to myself that a cockroach on a motorcycle would be cool.

motorroach.gif

I was right.

Pretty sure we had a thread like this last used only a year or so back: http://mb.srb2.org/showthread.php?t=33348. But eh, whatever, I'll go over my username origins again because why not?...

Simply put, it's the name of a made-up character I came up with back when I was 5 years old (i.e nearly a decade and a half ago at this time of writing), him pretty much being my real first name with "Monster" stuck behind it for some reason. Never could think of anything better, so the name stuck to the character, while the character itself somehow became stuck to my identity, I don't think I need to go on about that.

So when I eventually decided to join here back in 2008 or so, I thought the name would make a good nickname, so eh, nothing more to it. I have no intention of changing the nick anytime soon for that matter, not when that would mean losing all the brilliant "monster" puns. =(

My username was just made up on the spot when I decided to make an account on RuneScape (yes, I used to play RuneScape). That was a long time ago, like 4 or 5 years ago when I first thought up of "akb778" as a good username for myself. Even I don't know what it means. =P

Nowadays, I barely go by that name anymore; most often these days you'll see me under the name "Sutekh94". "Sutekh" being the name of the main villain in the NES game "Nightshade" along with, you probably guessed it, the year I was born.

When I purchased Minecraft years ago I started thinking through possible usernames that started with 'K'. I came up with "Karob" (derived from "Carob"), and thought it looked nice and unique. Carob is something that can be used to make delicious almost-chocolatey things. (Carob drink, carob candy, etc.)

I'm a fan of sonic and I was born in 2000...
Yes it's stupid but I didn't know what the hell I was thinking.

Normally my name is "MasterShadic2". I first made it when a little animation/game/babbys first flash program came around called Scratch. My fancharacter "Shadic" (unrelated to the characters you're thinking of) was my choice of name and because I was stupid, I added "Master" to the front. Then I lost my password, couldn't recover it, and made a new account with a new name. By the time I got around here I had temporarily changed his name to "Shadon", and there you go. Of course then I didn't like that name and I'm stuck with it here.

Pretty sure we had a thread like this last used only a year or so back: http://mb.srb2.org/showthread.php?t=33348.

I knew this topic sounded familiar...

Originally I was "HYPER SONILDOW" (yeah, all caps like that) and I chose that name because I was a dumb kid, fan of recolors and hyperness-goodness-super-duper-duperder-ultra-20% cooler-DBZfusion forms of Sonic, Shadow and Silver.

I matured and went with Thompson. Couldn't think of something generic and completely original that had a nice ring to it, but Thompson's my last name and as times flew by I pretty much ended up using it for everything and loved when people refer me as Thompson, Mr. Thompson, or Thomp. I call it professional.

Mine is actually kinda obvious. I am Zero, The Artificial Hedgehog, a Fan-Made character from Sonic Shorts. I was made in Dr. Eggman's Super-Secret Underwater Volcano Base! IN SPACE! So... Yeah.

No, Jasper is not my real name. I used to refer Jasper as a fox for a long time, and I simply went with the obligatory naming of fan characters. Now I don't see him as a ~true~ fox at all and it's driving me nuts to have that name.

When i first played SRB2 online, it automatically set my name as Root. (I think my account on the computer was named root by default.) And i stuck with it for some reason.

Simple,i like very much rayman and so i wanted to replace the "M" with a F so it says Fan,and thats the story of my name.

I knew this topic sounded familiar...

Originally I was "HYPER SONILDOW" (yeah, all caps like that) and I chose that name because I was a dumb kid, fan of recolors and hyperness-goodness-super-duper-duperder-ultra-20% cooler-DBZfusion forms of Sonic, Shadow and Silver.

I matured and went with Thompson. Couldn't think of something generic and completely original that had a nice ring to it, but Thompson's my last name and as times flew by I pretty much ended up using it for everything and loved when people refer me as Thompson, Mr. Thompson, or Thomp. I call it professional.

I feel the same about newer aliases that I have now. When I was younger, I'd mostly do random names for fun, like naming myself "a vehicle" in Halo CE, to screw with players killing me online in maps that don't allow warthogs. (I changed it against after somebody topped me with "a bear fart".) Even my older nick on these forums wasn't a name I wanted to keep.

Now, I'm much happier with aliases that are easy to remember, and more professional sounding. Mr.Glaceon was a nickname given to me by my best friend, and it stuck to the point I made it my alias on all social channels. It sounds formal, and celebrates my love of Pokemon without overdoing it.

Although I still choose a different alias for web forums. .Luke came about as a name my parents almost gave me, (?) and the .Hack games making using dots in names seem inspired. The more unique your name is, the more likely it is that you can keep the same name across all channels without it being taken. Using numbers to negate claimed names looks uncreative now, and I'm seeing more places putting down their usage in aliases.

I'm a fan of sonic and I was born in 2000...
Yes it's stupid but I didn't know what the hell I was thinking.

It's not that bad, honestly. Your name comes from a much older time, and I think most people will overlook that. You also could have done much worse. R1PP3D_PH0RSK1N, SUPERSONICFOREVERFANMAN1989, and PHAILTASTIC_POTATO, just to name a few examples that unintentionally break forum tables, and scar minds.

Last edited:
My username came from my childhood honestly, ever since i played with a tiny lego piece like this,
images
I named it Duon Adventuor at first, but the name made no sense. So then, I just went the the last name Adventurer, just to be generic. I use this name to mask my true name from the public... And i kinda think I fit around with it. I haven't been insulted on it (yet), but being that many other people just pulled some letters out the sky and call it a username makes me feel a little more comfortable about my name.

Sonikku banned my 'Tails' account from the SRB2 message board as a joke and couldn't figure out how to unban me. So I made a new account, prepending 'SSN' for my website at the time, segasonic.net

Does it count as a necropost if the topic is still on the first page?

Anyways, all my names are mixes of Touhou characters and cat puns, which I'm not really sure why I started using. sure was an improvement from previous dumb names, though.

No, Jasper is not my real name. I used to refer Jasper as a fox for a long time, and I simply went with the obligatory naming of fan characters. Now I don't see him as a ~true~ fox at all and it's driving me nuts to have that name.
You can always PM an admin and politely ask if they can change it. They likely will.
Sonikku banned my 'Tails' account from the SRB2 message board as a joke and couldn't figure out how to unban me. So I made a new account, prepending 'SSN' for my website at the time, segasonic.net
This has been one of my greatest questions in life and now that it has been answered I can die a content death.

Anyway, when Myspace was still a thing way back, one of my sister's friends (an especially eccentric one, I might add) didn't use her name on her Myspace, but rather "Jellybones". I liked it a lot for whatever reason. I also found out there is a song called Jellybones- I used to dislike it but my taste has grown a bit, it's a nice little song now.

Sometimes I go by Jollybeans. It's just an amusing anagram.

I also used to go by Hersheys when I first began frequenting message boards as a kid (circa 2005-2006). Why, no idea. But you can look up the username here on this board and find a whiny sixth grader who is just so confused as to why SRB2 is taking so long to finish and how to reset the game. (I'd forgotten that account's info long ago, hence why I made this one) What does my signature even mean?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Back