Suggestions

in experimenting with the special stages, I have discovered that the system for the Nights Special stages is fully active even with setting UseNiGHTSSS to false.

With this being true, why not intagrate the flag into the NiGHTS level type category and have it activate when in a valid special stage slot?

So the 2.2 tidbits thing brought me back to Sonic Robo Blast 2 after a long time, and... Proper XInput support? That's nice. Time to play a bit around with a DualShock 4 controller. Then I found two things I'd like to see added in 2.2, however as I'm fairly certain one has already been suggested, I'm only gonna suggest the other.

Would it be possible to have a toggle-able setting (for anolog mode) which would, if enabled, make the Turn keys (or Turn joystick axis) rotate the camera, and if disabled, make the Turn keys function just as they do now?

The reasoning behind this is that I have the left stick set to forwards/backwards movement and strafing, and the right stick set to looking and turning.
Not in analog mode, it works like a WASD+Mouse setup. But in analog mode, the left stick makes me move as intended, but the right stick makes me move left/right instead of moving the camera, and I don't really have any buttons free I could set to camera rotation.
Not that I expected it to just rotate the camera, but it'd be a nice addition to 2.2 for joystick users. Maybe. At least in my case.

So the 2.2 tidbits thing brought me back to Sonic Robo Blast 2 after a long time, and... Proper XInput support? That's nice. Time to play a bit around with a DualShock 4 controller. Then I found two things I'd like to see added in 2.2, however as I'm fairly certain one has already been suggested, I'm only gonna suggest the other.

Would it be possible to have a toggle-able setting (for anolog mode) which would, if enabled, make the Turn keys (or Turn joystick axis) rotate the camera, and if disabled, make the Turn keys function just as they do now?

The reasoning behind this is that I have the left stick set to forwards/backwards movement and strafing, and the right stick set to looking and turning.
Not in analog mode, it works like a WASD+Mouse setup. But in analog mode, the left stick makes me move as intended, but the right stick makes me move left/right instead of moving the camera, and I don't really have any buttons free I could set to camera rotation.
Not that I expected it to just rotate the camera, but it'd be a nice addition to 2.2 for joystick users. Maybe. At least in my case.
That sounds like a good idea!

A thing that I would want is the Inferno Shield and Liquid Shield as Seperate Shields again. This would be neat because the Inferno Shield can travel underlava and guide to some secrets in RVZ under the lava, while still being able to drown.

A thing that I would want is the Inferno Shield and Liquid Shield as Seperate Shields again. This would be neat because the Inferno Shield can travel underlava and guide to some secrets in RVZ under the lava, while still being able to drown.

I believe they were merged in the first place because all the shields did was protect you from one specific element and had no extra abilities on top of them. There's not too much reason to have 5 seperate shields that protect you from space suffocation, drowning, lava, electricity, and goop now is there???

Yeah, I'd prefer to just have one shield for everything.

Speaking of shields, I was wondering if the Elemental, Attraction, and Armageddon shields could be modified to play the Sonic 3 shield pickup sounds (Bubble, Electric, and Fire respectfully) when collected. It's not really a big deal though and as such I'm not holding my hands if it does get implemented or not.

Yeah, I'd prefer to just have one shield for everything.

Speaking of shields, I was wondering if the Elemental, Attraction, and Armageddon shields could be modified to play the Sonic 3 shield pickup sounds (Bubble, Electric, and Fire respectfully) when collected. It's not really a big deal though and as such I'm not holding my hands if it does get implemented or not.
With the lua already done for it by other users, why NOT replace the Elemental Shield with the Fire and Bubble Shield, and replace the Magnet Shield with the Electric Shield? I mean, besides trying to hardcode the Electric Shield's double jump sparks and animating the Fire shield and the Bubble shields, are the only major issues.

Say emeralds were a universal sort of 'rage' mechanic, and say you get one on your HUD for being hit by a weapon ring of a relative type. Then the loser player who gets hit by every weapon ring once can go super-form. Perhaps not related to the number of rings on-hand, since getting the shit kicked out of you won't leave you with many.
Either the experienced player wins through experience or he wins through knowing how to prevent other players from reaching any form of 'balancer' there may be.

I suddenly wonder why some map objects aren't more modular to combat this. Hmm...
Hey wouldn't it be neat if weapon panels and/or random monitors were given different spawn points like what emeralds currently have?

Say if a weapon panel were given a certain flag, then its facing direction determines what 'collection' it's a part of to be randomly spawned. ie. Of all weapon panels with a 'direction' of '1', only one of them will actually spawn. This would allow more of the same panel within different random collections (by setting the direction to a different number), as well as keeping a 'guaranteed' spawn point by not setting this flag.

Last edited:
Lua suggestion: COM_AddHelp(string name , [string text])
As the function name implies, it would add a command/variable called <name> to the list of things shown when typing help. Additionally, <text> would be the text shown if typing "help <name>" in the console.

Lua:
Code:
COM_AddHelp("ztest")
If typing help in the console after adding this script, ztest would be added at the bottom.
Typing "help ztest" without quotes would say "No info for this command/variable", or whatever it says for vanilla commands without info.
Lua:
Code:
COM_AddHelp("ztest" , "Usage: ztest <amount> Blah blah blah")
If typing help in the console after adding this script, ztest would be added at the bottom.
Typing "help ztest" without quotes would say "Usage: ztest <amount> Blah blah blah". Nothing, other than what's specified in the function, should be printed out.

Edit: Another Lua suggestion. Open up all Mobj colours for Lua fun. Currently we have all, except Super1-5, TSuper1-5 and KSuper1-5, while there have been several cases where those could've been useful for people.

Last edited:
Sprite suggestion
-----------------
I suggest that SRB2 should have a drowning sprite for version 2.2.
It already does. The dying sprite. If that's not enough, one could probably use Lua to find out if a character died by drowning or something else, and display the appropriate image for that.

I think that the fire and bubble element should have their own shields again. Also, the regular elemental shield could appear in single player.

Why? The reason they were merged in the first place was because the originals were too situational in match.

Elemental is far better as it is than Liquid and Inferno seperately ever were, to be frank. And no, making the seperate shields and the merged shield exist together would be a bad idea, it would be obvious which is preferable.

I think there should be a reboot command that restarts the entire game and removes any previously added mods in the process. That way I don't have to exit the game and start it back up again just to go into record attack. That might seem a bit lazy, but the quit command is already in the game. I don't see why a reboot command would be so bad.

Actually, instead of adding (48? seriously?) extra colors, why not allow it so that colors could be set or changed on the fly by Lua, so potentially each node could have a custom color set, allowing for "infinite" color selections?

I really would like to remind everyone that the purpose of being able to change color in multiplayer is to help everyone differentiate who is who, not so you can implement your original character do not steal in SRB2. Think of it like the equivalent of palette swaps for the second player in a fighting game. We've already got way more than enough colors for that purpose.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back