Computer will not start up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chengi

I like your attitude!
Kart Krew™️
(FYI, I'm using my Wii)

I need serious help. My computer (Compaq, Vista, laptop) won't start up properly, it shows the Compaq logo, then goes to a command prompt-like screen. I type something and it says "Err1Err3 Operating system not found", and if I do it again, it repeats. I'd like to have some assistance, if possible. Thank you.

you can use your wii to do something like that?
dude it sounds like your windows operating system is gone or redirected.

I had the same problem a couple years ago. I thought my computer was completely fried. The only way I got it fixed was to have it sent to the shop.

Yes, I've used the Internet Channel back in 2007/2008.

Another update, when I press the Computer Restore key (F11), it says "repairing files", then it shows the loading screen for a second and dissapears. It shows nothing but a black screen after that.

Step 1: Download Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope and burn it to a CD
Step 2: Install Ubuntu
Step 3: Enjoy.

Use that until you can get a Microsoft OS if you don't like Linux.

Chisuun said:
Step 1: Download Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope and burn it to a CD
Step 3: Enjoy.

Use that until you can get a Microsoft OS if you don't like Linux.
He'll need another computer to download that in the first place. With it being as large as a CD that's not going to be possible on something like a Library computer.
Got a friend who can help you?

Chisuun said:

Noooo, don't install it. When an operating system doesn't boot, first thing you should do is check to see if you can recover anything from the existing installation. Then you may install it.

Also, Ubuntu really isn't that great of a distro if you ask me. Sure, it's user-friendly, but once you learn how to use Linux you'll want something far more versatile, and the fact that their devs don't want to support any desktop environment other than GNOME seriously bothers me.

Bigboi's right, wrestling with Ubuntu when it doesn't work is a pain in the ass.

Wrestling with Windows when it doesn't work (which is virtually always) is EVEN MORE of a pain in the ass, such as this case right here.

Make sure your boot order isn't screwed up. Hop in the Bios (F2 or Delete key at compaq screen, usually) and ensure it's set to boot from the HDD first, make sure it's the correct drive too.

If that fails, boot from a Windows CD and do "Repair my Computer" (Vista and Win7 CDs only, though, XP is manual repair) and it should repair any startup options, when it scans, let it scan then continue instead of rebooting. Hit startup repair and let it do its stuff. I found that the auto-repair doesn't work all that well.

Alternatively, your hard drive may be dead, in which case, not much that can be done about it.

Callum said:
Wrestling with Windows when it doesn't work (which is virtually always) is EVEN MORE of a pain in the ass, such as this case right here.
Absolutely adorable. Not like this is a niche problem or anything!

Also, it's pretty disgusting how people can't make topics regarding Windows issues without getting swarmed by militant OS zealots with no intent of assisting, especially considering the problem at hand is a relatively simple one to fix. Guys, no one cares about your retarded UNIX OS of choice, stop preaching door to door about it like you're doing the world a valuable service.

Did you try restarting the comp?

Thats all I have to offer you at the moment.

Other than throwing it out and buying a newer computer...

Have you popped in your Windows cd and run the automatic recovery feature yet?
Your hard drive may have failed or corrupted in the way where it no longer has the master boot record.

You can also try unetbootin to get a CD or USB device to put some stand-alone emergency tools on.

http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/

I don't recommend going blind, removing all and putting a Linux on there. Ignore the evangelism.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back