File to big to download

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael

I have a made a wad. but no buddy can download it to big.
some wads are larger than me own wad. can some one tell how i can remove that message?. i don't find the it in the wad editor to allow download my file.
my wad file is not so big 10 MB or so some wad files from some other are bigger and can be downloaded from the master server.
why my file can not be downloaded is not so big.
how to allow my file to be downloaded in my own server?
can not find it. can some one help to find a option to allow it?
and no my wad file is not to big.

10MB might not be objectively big, but for a game like SRB2, 10MB is a very big file.

Regardless, there are two solutions. Either
1. Split your file up into multiple pieces, or
2. Open the console and type "maxsend <value>", where <value> is a number representing the maximum filesize your server is willing to send, in bytes. For a 10MB file, that would be 10000, but if your file is a little bigger than 10MB you'll have to adjust accordingly. You can also just type "maxsend max" to set it to the maximum number of bytes, allowing players to download any file under the game's filesize limit.

in-game downloading is a joke though, you'd be lucky if 1 or 2 people download it without encountering sudden download freeze, better upload it elsewhere and give a link to the wad in servername, use tinyurl to shorten link if you don't have enough space for the link.

To add to it, I wouldn't recommend making people download a 10MB file from the game.
For non-level pack standards, a WAD that size is too big.

You could also try compressing the WAD file, but it might just halve the file. 5MB is still quite big.

For starters, music is one of the biggest offenders on WAD size. Music loop points (instead of manual looping) and compression (formats like Ogg Vorbis) can help reduce filesize.

Is there a reason as to why the max filesize for in game downloads, is so low? It is 2017 after all, where people have cheap and high speed connections at their disposal.

Is there a reason as to why the max filesize for in game downloads, is so low? It is 2017 after all, where people have cheap and high speed connections at their disposal.

Because the file downloader in SRB2 was not designed for huge files.

also not everybody has cheap and high speed connection at their disposal

The netcode was designed almost 20 years ago. It assumes things that are simply no longer true, like that WAD filesize would remain small. Back before things like digital music was implemented, the game was incredibly small and addons were similarly small. When the whole game was less than 5 MB and largest WAD files were like, 300 KB, that setup made sense.

The netcode was designed almost 20 years ago. It assumes things that are simply no longer true, like that WAD filesize would remain small. Back before things like digital music was implemented, the game was incredibly small and addons were similarly small. When the whole game was less than 5 MB and largest WAD files were like, 300 KB, that setup made sense.
I thought the netcode was rewritten in 2.0, but apparently I am somewhat wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back