Sonic the Hedgehog: The OVA

Status
Not open for further replies.
And I really wish people would stop calling this a movie. It is an OVA. It is two episodes of a failed anime that were pasted together and marketed as a movie to celebrate the release of the Dreamcast. Okay. It really is a pet peeve of mine.

It's a movie.

I liked this movie. I watched the whole thing on youtube a couple of years ago, and I really liked it. I didn't know Netflix had it... I have that, so I should go put it on my ps3 or something.
It's not fantastic, but it's a fun flick. I don't care for many of the games anymore but I still like the characters a lot. Also metal sonic makes it cool, 'cept that last part...

An OVA isn't a "failed anime", its just a really short run program, think "mini-series" stuff like Meteor. The thing just happened to be long enough to be classified as a movie elsewhere.

Anyway, I enjoyed Sonic OVA, in both English and Japanese. I recommend watching both (but I definitely prefer the Japanese version's voice acting of course, doesn't mean the English one's acting is terrible though).

It's not the worst thing I've ever seen, and if you're a fan of the games than it's a good way to kill an hour. It's not perfect by any means, but it is enjoyable.

The Sonic OVA is truly a masterpeice to me. Sure, you may get cliche anime vibes from it, but it really is the best peice of pure animation to ever really come out that is related to Sonic and is a full peice of work (not counting the Man of the Year clip from Sonic Jam).

The voice actors in the English dub weren't even that bad really, but the Japanese voices were really suiting too. Lots of action, lots of humor, lots of great characterization to everybody, and lots of good throwbacks towards Sonic CD. How was this in any way bad? It was genuine, and (haters gonna hate) it was truly a more fun and exciting experience than SatAM or AoSTH.

The Sonic OVA is truly a masterpeice to me. Sure, you may get cliche anime vibes from it, but it really is the best peice of pure animation to ever really come out that is related to Sonic and is a full peice of work (not counting the Man of the Year clip from Sonic Jam).

The voice actors in the English dub weren't even that bad really, but the Japanese voices were really suiting too. Lots of action, lots of humor, lots of great characterization to everybody, and lots of good throwbacks towards Sonic CD. How was this in any way bad? It was genuine, and (haters gonna hate) it was truly a more fun and exciting experience than SatAM or AoSTH.

Sonic OVA=Big Lipped Alligator Movie

Absolutely no explanation to how this world works, we are just simply left to accept these random out of nowhere characters such as the President, the Owl, and Sara. Really strange speech from Metal and paper thin plot.

Not to mention that all of the locations aren't even suited to be alongside Green Hill or Angel Island at all. In fact, why does Sonic live on a Floating Island anyways? I thought that was Knuckles' thing while he guarded the Master Emerald?

Eh.... Whatever. I just hope you don't have the bright idea to take too many ideas from the OVA and inject them into FreeRunner.

I like the way the personalities were in the OVA. Plus, I accepted it as a nice spin on the Sonic series never seen before. Also for SatAM they just randomly threw in some Freedom Fighters and a dark gritty environment and acted like they were there the whole time as well. I mean, yeah, they explained it later, but that's besides the point.

I just liked that Sonic was laid back and did what he wanted, Tails was a techie but a very active go-getter, Knuckles was an all chill adventurer and had an awesome hat, and Robotnik was a rather formidable and threatening foe although with silly intentions.

An OVA isn't a "failed anime", its just a really short run program, think "mini-series" stuff like Meteor. The thing just happened to be long enough to be classified as a movie elsewhere.

I know that quite well.

The Sonic OVA, though, is two episodes of a failed anime series that never got anywhere.

Got it?

And for all that is Sonic, Robotnik, and Badniks, It. Is. Not. A. Movie.

Someone please realize this. This isn't anywhere near close to having the qualities of a movie, lest being called a movie in the States just to make a quick buck in celebration of the Dreamcast.

Yeah they should make an actual sonic the hedgehog movie thats shown in movie theaters not on peoples T.V. screens.

Last edited:
Incredible rebuttal!

I try.

This isn't anywhere near close to having the qualities of a movie, lest being called a movie in the States just to make a quick buck in celebration of the Dreamcast.
You know, it doesn't have to be good to be a movie. That's a silly thing to say. It's like saying Plan 9 from Outer Space isn't a movie because it's terrible (somewhat debatable. lol, ed wood)
Seriously, that doesn't make sense. It's a movie whether you like it or not.

Or, fine, OVA. Whatever helps you sleep at night.

I try.

You know, it doesn't have to be good to be a movie. That's a silly thing to say. It's like saying Plan 9 from Outer Space isn't a movie because it's terrible (somewhat debatable. lol, ed wood)
Seriously, that doesn't make sense. It's a movie whether you like it or not.

Or, fine, OVA. Whatever helps you sleep at night.
I'm sorry. Do I need to be more specific?

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Ptitlelyq6t7p0?from=Main.SonicTheMovie

Read it. All of it.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/BLAMEpisode

This article has a nice little insight for you.

"Sonic The Movie, sort of. While actually considered pretty good by a surprising number of fans, it has zero relation whatsoever to any other expanded media, or even the games (besides the characters) and might have meant to have been part of a series. We'll never really know."

I swear this series is hardly Sonic at all. It just seems so thrown together. Believe it or not, SatAM has more in common with Sonic than the OVA. It has the basic Sonic v.s. Robotnik plot, the robot army that terrorizes the citizens of Sonic's home...

I still don't get why this is considered THE Sonic the Hedgehog movie when it has hardly any correlation with the goddamn source material. I can just as easily hit the restart button on SatAM, add in locations from the games that should have been there the entire time such Green Hill, Hill Top, Marble Hill, Labyrinth etc. etc., make cone head Robotnik have a bigger stache and a more well rounded head, replace Swatbots with Badniks, and make Robotropolis into a Chemical Plant/Metropolis Zone/Scrap Brain inspired world, and sure enough it would be the same show, but still be Sonic.

As far as I'm concerned if SatAM had done that the entire time, it wouldn't get the flak it does today. But now we have you guys defending a so called movie (read my lips: failed anime pilot) that had less correlation to the games than SatAM.

End of post. Argue with me all you want. I still feel that the OVA is an overrated piece of BS.

And yeah guys. If you think that I'm obsessed with SatAM being the best Sonic, you're wrong. I myself would love to have a reboot with more elements from the classic games and build upon the potential the show had. The pilot had a nice bond with Sonic and Tails, and that is something I would love to see happen in a reboot of the series.

Oh, how I love the movie, I still have it on VHS, I'm not kidding, and my tv plays VHS so I can watch it whenever I want. Whenever someone were to come over that invited I would always show them that movie and all they would talk about is the sticky, butt, firing, part. And one time it did almost crashed because of an old VHS player, but I stopped before it did any real damage. Anyway, I liked it and just has so many things that could be censored if it were ever put on public television.

And I really wish people would stop calling this a movie. It is an OVA. It is two episodes of a failed anime that were pasted together and marketed as a movie to celebrate the release of the Dreamcast. Okay. It really is a pet peeve of mine.

Wow, I gues you do learn something new everyday. Never knew about these little bits of info, greg.

I'm sorry. Do I need to be more specific?

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Ptitlelyq6t7p0?from=Main.SonicTheMovie

Read it. All of it.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/BLAMEpisode

This article has a nice little insight for you.

"Sonic The Movie, sort of. While actually considered pretty good by a surprising number of fans, it has zero relation whatsoever to any other expanded media, or even the games (besides the characters) and might have meant to have been part of a series. We'll never really know."

I swear this series is hardly Sonic at all. It just seems so thrown together. Believe it or not, SatAM has more in common with Sonic than the OVA. It has the basic Sonic v.s. Robotnik plot, the robot army that terrorizes the citizens of Sonic's home...

I still don't get why this is considered THE Sonic the Hedgehog movie when it has hardly any correlation with the goddamn source material. I can just as easily hit the restart button on SatAM, add in locations from the games that should have been there the entire time such Green Hill, Hill Top, Marble Hill, Labyrinth etc. etc., make cone head Robotnik have a bigger stache and a more well rounded head, replace Swatbots with Badniks, and make Robotropolis into a Chemical Plant/Metropolis Zone/Scrap Brain inspired world, and sure enough it would be the same show, but still be Sonic.

As far as I'm concerned if SatAM had done that the entire time, it wouldn't get the flak it does today. But now we have you guys defending a so called movie (read my lips: failed anime pilot) that had less correlation to the games than SatAM.

End of post. Argue with me all you want. I still feel that the OVA is an overrated piece of BS.

And yeah guys. If you think that I'm obsessed with SatAM being the best Sonic, you're wrong. I myself would love to have a reboot with more elements from the classic games and build upon the potential the show had. The pilot had a nice bond with Sonic and Tails, and that is something I would love to see happen in a reboot of the series.

#srb2fun said:
<RedEnchilada> IT'S NOT A MOVIE IT'S A FAILED ANIME
<RedEnchilada> DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW I JUST DO
<RoyKirbs> Aha.
<Simsmagic> BLAH BLAH BLAH MY OPINION IS SUPERIOR TO YOURS
<RoyKirbs> Greg won't let that shit go

Now, don't complain because it's a movie made with two episodes of an anime. People would much rather watch this than the crap we have today (AKA Sonic X)

As for my opinions on the movie, I liked it. It had a nice, straightforward story, Eggman was also fantastic in it. He's comparible to the Eggman that we have today. (AKA Unleashed)

it has hardly any correlation with the goddamn source material.
BECAUSE WE ALL KNOW THAT ACCURACY IS ALL THAT MATTERS

No really, I'd much rather the cartoons and stuff take some creative licenses with the plot, because honestly, it's a nice change. The Sonic games, good as they are, don't have any plot to speak of, so trying to do a show based on them without adding extra characters creates a bland show for the most part.

But seriously, imo the farther the cartoons deviate from the source while still staying somewhat Sonicy, the better.

Dang this movie/OVA is the reason why I'm posting on these forums.

After playing Sonic The Hedgehog with my cousin as a kid, my cousin bought the VHS tape of this movie. It showed how cool Sonic was with his attitude and his speed even though his voice was kind of weird.

I miss this movie, thanks for posting the thread to remind me to watch it again.

Hey... Greg, Scizor300, Redechidna, and Jellybones? Cool it before I start handing out infractions. The semantics of what this cartoon is doesn't merit a flamewar. Discuss the content of the OVA, not what you think its designation ought to be. Next peep about "It's not a movie" or any other such related drivel gets stricken, got it?

That goes for the rest of you, too.

Last edited:
BECAUSE WE ALL KNOW THAT ACCURACY IS ALL THAT MATTERS

No really, I'd much rather the cartoons and stuff take some creative licenses with the plot, because honestly, it's a nice change. The Sonic games, good as they are, don't have any plot to speak of, so trying to do a show based on them without adding extra characters creates a bland show for the most part.

But seriously, imo the farther the cartoons deviate from the source while still staying somewhat Sonicy, the better.

Well.... yes actually. You are right.... I dont know... I have been trying to cement an idea of what Sonic to me should be like. The thing is with a franchise as widely known and popular as Sonic the Hedgehog you cannot deviate too much from the source material. That is what ruined the Mario movie.

I am just in a way trying to get on safer grounds with the Sonic fanbase while trying to take what I liked and thought was cool and make my vision of what Sonic is. As it is the Sonic fanbase hates being around me due to my very defined taste and definition of what Sonic should be.
I am just.... trying to be more safe while being ambitious and full of integrity.

And I think that finishes what I have to say on this topic. Didnt want to stir up any bad blood. Just never felt that the OVA was a proper movie. Sorry for causing all this ruckus.

lol... this movie is keeping me ... what should I call it.. keeping my tense up ... XD
it's cool particularly...
I'd give 3.5/5 out of bad sound ( Tails' is too childish even I knew he's 8... etc. ) and a little strange parts....
Overall i think it's cool

lol... this movie is keeping me ... what should I call it.. keeping my tense up ... XD
it's cool particularly...
I'd give 3.5/5 out of bad sound ( Tails' is too childish even I knew he's 8... etc. ) and a little strange parts....
Overall i think it's cool
If you think the voices aren't that good, watch the Japanese version. I do that with Sonic X. (Watch subbed Japanese version instead of awful 4kids dub.)
Edit: I actually haven't watched it, but I plan to sometime soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back