Srb2 on windows 7...

Status
Not open for further replies.

ALLEN

I have no clue but srb2 runs HORRIBLE on windows 7. I even have good specs. Now heres the funny part. SRB2 runs good in single player ( Don't know why) But when you try to play online, Its a big lag mess. I also can't get a good screen res. the one thats highlighted green goes worse.

Your internet speeds must be too slow to handle SRB2, or the host has a bad connection, or you are too far away from anyone to have a good connection.

^ this. Any claim that "x edition of Windows doesn't run SRB2" is false.

And yes, I will happily confirm, when I am able to, whether SRB2 will run fine in Windows 8, just as soon as they give us the pre-release.

If you are using software mode, it's best not to change the resolution while the game is running. Windows 7's shell breaks 256-color support, which causes problems in many, many old games (especially StarCraft: Brood War). That might be what you're having problems with...

You can optionally run the game in OpenGL with the -opengl argument in the Command Prompt or in a shortcut, which utilizes the hardware to render the graphics but breaks polyobjects and fog effects (both used in main game levels).

As for multiplayer, it's not an OS-related issue. The servers you have been playing on have bad connections.

Could you try turning Aero off.? It causes a bit of frame lag in MP.

but breaks polyobjects and fog effects
Yeah, no. Try looking underwater in OpenGL while fog is on instead of in software mode, it's much better.

---------- Post added at 02:03 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:02 AM ----------

but breaks polyobjects and fog effects
Yeah, no. Try looking underwater in OpenGL while fog is on instead of in software mode, it's much better/more real.

That's not the kind of fog effect he meant. He meant things like the Fog Block, which is used for some obstacles in ERZ. It isn't rendered at all in OpenGL.

I thought we had some sort of fix to render those blocks in OGL. I think it might have been one of shuffle's or JTE fixes, but I think those fixes had some sort of major disadvantage that we didn't compile them or something.

Of course, I could be terribly wrong.

I am also pretty sure that OGL renders polyobjects just fine now.

Oh really ?!

^ this. Any claim that "x edition of Windows doesn't run SRB2" is false.

Oh really? ! I'll show you my PAIN!

I made this video JUST FOR YOU ! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yp3Ra7MQdKE

My connection speed :
near
1288505630.png

far
1288508818.png

The ping on that server you joined was about 200 ping, which is horrible. Try making a video again when you join a server with at least a ping under 100.

Also, I run SRB2 on my Windows 7 64 Bit, and it works fine. It's merely a connection problem you're dealing with, not Windows 7 itself.

The ping on that server you joined was about 200 ping, which is horrible. Try making a video again when you join a server with at least a ping under 100.

Also, I run SRB2 on my Windows 7 64 Bit, and it works fine. It's merely a connection problem you're dealing with, not Windows 7 itself.
Me too! It works without any problems.

I fail to see what the problem is...

Either way, it is NOT Windows 7's fault, period. I also see you failed to highlight that part of my post in your video. Of course netgames are going to lag online no matter what the ping is, as there really is no such thing as a perfect connection in SRB2 Netgames. Also, you seem to be playing the game perfectly fine, so why is it such a big deal to you anyway?

I'll say it again, it is NOT your operating system that is causing the problem. End of story.

hum >.>

. Also, you seem to be playing the game perfectly fine, so why is it such a big deal to you anyway?

I'll say it again, it is NOT your operating system that is causing the problem. End of story.

This is not C-lag .. it's FRAME LAG !

If this is not my system WHERE DOES THIS ERROR?! AND WHY DOES THAT ARE ON WINDOWS 7

Bad server connections can cause both c-lag AND frame lag. I'd guess that the fault lies with the servers you join; it doesn't sound like they have good connections. And your own connection is pretty subpar as well, which certainly doesn't help matters.

I just want to point out that I when I try to play online on my laptop, (which happens to have Windows 7, as irrelevant as it probably is) it too is horribly laggish whenever I move, but not when I stand still. The laptop is in the same house, connected to all the same stuff, heck, it's even a much more capable computer, but it cannot handle online SRB2 for some reason. Single Player is fine though, it's just Multiplayer. And no, it wasn't the server I connected to, because it does it on all of them. Just thought I might point this out just to back up the OP's claim. Perhaps I should try OpenGL on it and see what happens then...

Damn Frame lag

Bad server connections can cause both c-lag AND frame lag. I'd guess that the fault lies with the servers you join; it doesn't sound like they have good connections. And your own connection is pretty subpar as well, which certainly doesn't help matters.

I think the power connections have nothing to do with this F-lag! I even try to join a LOCAL LAN SERVER and still the damn F-lag! I'm sure this is my system! if not why all people who have this lag is also Windows 7!?!

Why ?! BECAUSE WINDOWS 7 HATES SRB2 !!!
ihateyou.png

Last edited:
SRB2's been running like horse shit on all computers I've used no matter what the specs, in online specifically. Playing normally works fine. I have great specs btw, video card is an NVIDIA Geforce GTX 560. Win7x64, and 6gb RAM. Quad-core processor. It's an issue with SRB2 only, cause really I can get 200+ FPS on TF2 while playing online, zero lag.
(on a side note, I tried turning the v-sync off and nothing happened. Still 35fps. is that a problem or is it intentionally capped?)

I have a need to post in this thread because I have some insight and experience in this particular topic...

I can personally say that Windows 7 does not like SRB2. I remember buying the parts for a computer and building it here are the specs:

• Windows 7 Ultimate Edition:

• Intel "Pentium" Dual-Core CPU, E5200 @ 2.50GHz
  • 2 GB of RAM
  • nVidia HDMI-supported 1 GB vRAM video card
I installed SRB2 and played a netgame using my internet modem. Here's my net speed:

1295136899.png

I joined a server with a ping of 85 and when I started to move, the game was a freakin lag fest! I asked the host to check my ping and he told me my ping was 85. So tell me how the hell I had F-lag in a netgame with a ping of 80-85?

So tired of Windows 7 bullying SRB2, I basically stopped playing for like a year or so... then I had a magical idea: Let's see what happens when I revert my computer to Windows XP and run an SRB2 netgame...

I kept the same exact CPU specs and formatted my 500GB HDD and installed Windows XP Professional. I then installed SRB2 and played a netgame with a ping of 115. So you know what happened? I'll tell you what happened. I played a god damn game of SRB2 online virtually lag free. And to this day I still use WinXP because I realized that Windows 7 hates 3rd party programs like SRB2.

So not to be rude or anything, but from personal perspective I believe anyone saying SRB2's performance net wise is not the fault of the operating system in question is complete bull.

Good day. :P

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back